Post Thanks / Like
    hey guys, i have about 3 coats on my Z and i will need to do some polishing to remove some minor swirls from washing

what is the best method to get rid of the wg ?? i use menzerna IP and FP but do not know how often i should use them. my car is daily driven and sits outside. so it needs a wash at least every week. i use a lambs wool mitt to wash and a MF waffle towel to dry. thinking about a leaf blower

Post Thanks / Like
    Just polish away as normal, either polish will remove it as it removes the swirls

Post Thanks / Like
    sounds good :up

Post Thanks / Like
    gav`spurplez- If the WG makes your pads gum up, or leaves a hard to buff off residue on the paint, you can probably remove it with rubbing alcohol. If it doesn`t cause any problems, just polish through it as suggested.

Heh heh, you might oughta rethink your wash regimen...that`s a *really* cool car you have there and you don`t want to run out of clearcoat....you might even consider using my "extreme" wash technique (search on this: Accumulator`s Non-marring Wash Technique ), although it`s sorta labor-intensive. Maybe not any more so than polishing and re-sealing, though

Post Thanks / Like
    i will do the search now. i am willing to do alot for my car. if there is a way to wash without marring i will try anything. using the IP will cause the clear to dissipate right ?? how often should i be using the IP and the FP ?? damn daily driver in chicago`s crap weather

Post Thanks / Like
    just read your right up

sounds awesome but i think that my car gets plenty dirty sometimes and the "nottouching the surface" that much will take me forever to get the car clean. i do not mind breaking out the polish and sealant/wax. any other ideas for keeping the surface safe ?? :nixweiss

Post Thanks / Like
    Heh heh, yeah, my "extreme" method isn`t exactly easy. But FWIW, I use it on a vehicle that gets driven in all kinds of weather (Ohio winters are pretty bad too ). After some roadtrips it`s *plenty* dirty and the method still works great as long as there`s plenty of protection on the finish. It`s a chore, but on "keepers" I don`t want to have to repaint after however many years (19 now for the Jag).

The IP won`t take off *too* much clear if you use it a few times a year, but doing it every few weeks is gonna eventually take its toll. At some point I think you`re gonna have to either live with some marring or find a way to not induce it. I`m a little surprised that you`re having to "scrub" the finish that much with the WG. I haven`t used it, but would`ve expected it to be pretty slick (which helps dirt wash off with little actual "scrubbing"). Using a LSP that dirt doesn`t stick to can go a long way towards avoiding marring.

Another idea might be to use a mild "one step" with some *mild* abrasives in it, something like 1Z`s WaxPolish Soft. They claim it`s so mild you can use it anytime without taking off too much clear. But I dunno if something that mild will remove your marring.

Post Thanks / Like
    I used VM to get rid of some very minor marring I`ve induced on my black car through washing as well. It looks perfect from a couple of feet away, but up close, you can barely notice the marring. Don`t know if it`s covering or it smoothed out the fine scratches, but it`s good enough for me on a daily driver, especially black. Maybe just go with the FP every so often(1.5 - 2 months) and hit spots with IP as necessary. Atleast for me, the marring I`m inducing is VERY minor. Nothing like what I was putting in before joining this site.

Post Thanks / Like
    i really do not scrub the paint. i just kinda run the mitt over the finish. no scrubbing. i think i will stick to the FP every 2-3 months. IP 2x`s a year :xyxthumbs

thanks guys.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by gav`spurplez

.. i think i will stick to the FP every 2-3 months. IP 2x`s a year

That sounds reasonable :xyxthumbs

Oh, and I sorta just say "scrub the paint" to make a point

Post Thanks / Like
    well, washed the car today and was very light with the mitt. eagle one QD and the car looks good. have not wolfgang`d in about a month and it still looks and feels like day one. swirls not that bad after the wash and QD

thanks for your help :wavey

Thread Information