Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow the shine is is still there.. I can`t believe this... And they said Meguiar`s Gold Class wax only last for a month... So let`s have a recap, 2 months ago washed the car then claybarred it. Next day I applied Meguiar`s Step 1, and Meguiar`s Glaze #7, had to go to work so I stopped right there. Following day I used Meguiar`s QD, applied another coat of Meguiar`s #7. And got this as a result...

Finished the car off with a Layer of Gold Class, all these done by hand...

Fast forward to 2 months later, after 2 Car wash (including the latest one today) 2 weeks of rain, car parked outside, heavy construction going on right next to my house. And look at my car, it`s still Shining :shocked and reflecting it`s surroundings and I`ve yet to apply Meguiar`s QD..

Not bad huh?

Post Thanks / Like
    Okay I only have one problem, okay several really..

1) the surface is no longer smooth, almost rough to the touch but not that rough...

2) I have these tiny brown spots that looks like rust all over my hood, trunk and roof.. What`s this? I can`t remove it with QD and I think I will have to claybar again. How can I prevent this?

Oh and here`s a picture of the culprit.

Post Thanks / Like
    well, you`re in L.A. so my guess is urban "junk" from pollution...no real way to avoid it. Try mother`s QD, it leaves the surface really slick
    `04 Steel Gray Metallic Mazda 6s V6 5door, `97 Honda Accord SE

Oh I'll Bring the Shizzle Nagchampa's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    That my friend appears to be raildust. You might be able to remove it with a claybar, but you might need to go with the ABC wash.
    "Never walk into an environment and assume that you understand it better than the people who live there." - Kofi Annan after his first frigid Minnesota winter

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Nagchampa

That my friend appears to be raildust. You might be able to remove it with a claybar, but you might need to go with the ABC wash.

What`s raildust? And how do I prevent this from happening again, I never had this before.

Post Thanks / Like
    I will agree with you that Meguiar`s GC looks really good. It`s actually one of the best looking products I`ve tried, but as you noticed, the paint looses it`s slickness after a while (usually after a wash). IMO, it also doesn`t bead very well after a few weeks.

As for the spots, I get it a lot too, but my car is silver and doesn`t show it as much. You pretty much have to clay it to get rid of it.

Someone correct me if I`m wrong, but if I remember correctly, raildust is the iron shavings from trains going through rairoads. They become airborne and embed themselves into the paint of cars. There`s really no way to prevent raildust from happening, you could move somewhere where there aren`t any trains.

Post Thanks / Like
    By the way, wouldn`t the gold class have stripped the #7 glaze since it`s a cleaner wax?

Post Thanks / Like
    The rail dust isn`t hard to clear off. You don`t need ABC to do it. Clay will take care of most of it. Obviously there is a purose for ABC and the IFO that is on your car now is proof of the need for it. You are probably in an area where you are going to either need to use some better protection on your car than just wax or you are going to have to clay every 2 months to stay on top of it. At least you have a white car and can see the spots easier. I inspect my car for those everytime I wax it. I`ve been good ever since I moved from my old place back in June.

Rail dust is the general term for Industrial Fallout (IFO) It can be from the rails or it could be just from crap in the air from factories. It is often from brake dust if you do a lot of freeway traveling or live by an over pass or something like that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by bcwang

By the way, wouldn`t the gold class have stripped the #7 glaze since it`s a cleaner wax?

Gold Class is a cleaner wax? Whut? I didnt even know that

Post Thanks / Like
    It`s not really a cleaner wax. It does have some properties that will remove layers of wax beneath it though. Its not going to do anything for oxidation and the kinds of things you would use a real cleaner product for. Its just not the safest wax to layer on top of other waxes. Such is the case with most liquid waxes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Jngrbrdman

You are probably in an area where you are going to either need to use some better protection on your car than just wax or you are going to have to clay every 2 months to stay on top of it.

Will using "better sealants or wax" then layering it, protect my car from this? Or is the only answer car cover, cause if it is then it looks like I will have to wax my car that much... Since getting a car cover will just attract thieves and not only that but my low life neighbors will steal it.. I can move but that`s gonna be EXPENSIVE.

Post Thanks / Like
    It could. I was getting them pretty bad before I started using Klasse. Right after I started using Klasse I noticed that I didn`t get them nearly as bad. It was a pretty stark change. It could be that the winds shifted and I wasn`t getting dumped on anymore or something like that. The only thing I changed was the use of Klasse. I`ve only experienced it on my car though so I can`t say that the Klasse is the thing that kept it off. Before I was using a Meguiar`s 3 step system with Gold Class on top and I got them all the time.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think that "better products" might prevent some of them from sticking as badly, but it would depend on what the contamination is. Some fallout will eat through anything.

About the shine lasting, some waxes/sealants apparently still shine decently after several weeks, but slickness and water beading go away or suffer. This is the point at which Autopians typically go insane wanting to re-wax it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by 4DSC

About the shine lasting, some waxes/sealants apparently still shine decently after several weeks, but slickness and water beading go away or suffer. This is the point at which Autopians typically go insane wanting to re-wax it.

Well it rained again today and when I went out my car was literally covered with water beads really small ones like half the size of a dime, is that good or bad

Post Thanks / Like
    That`s good, if you like beading

However, there are many threads which indicate the beading is not a good indicator of the presence of wax.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information