Post Thanks / Like
    I was out detailing all three of my cars Saturday and my neighbor asked me if I could make his car look like new for $200.

I said for 200, I`ll give him the full deal......door jambs, engine bay, Zaino protection, wheel wells, EVERYTHING!

We had it planned for Sunday, but it turned out he had to go to work, so we bumped it a week.

I`ll be sure to post before and after pics next weekend.

It`s a black 2002 Chevy Impala. He washes it once a month (drive-thru car wash). The hood has never been opened, to my knowledge.

Should be fun!
    Bill Luster

`00 Trans Am / `82 Vette

Click here for:Bill`s Pictures

Post Thanks / Like
    If you don`t mind, could you take pics of how you do the engine detail? Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Acura_RL

If you don`t mind, could you take pics of how you do the engine detail? Thanks.

I don`t mind at all...

Here`s the plan for the engine detailing...

1. Before I wash the car, I plan to apply liberal amounts of Simple Green to the engine bay.

2. Let soak for 30 minutes while I wash the car.

3. Rinse engine with a very light stream of water.

4. Re-apply SG....let sit for 5 minutes. Get a cold Ice Tea!

5. Rinse engine and begin the wiping-down process. (shop rags)

6. QD with Meg`s QD (cheap and good for this purpose)

7. Apply Grape tire dressing to all rubber and plastic surfaces

8. Let dry while I do the remainder of the car

9. After car is complete........go back for one last look at engine bay.

I should have about an hour`s work in the engine bay. (plus the 30 minute pre-soak!)

I don`t ever spray the alternator or ignition with either water or SG.

Some people don`t like Simple Green, but it does miracles on dirty engines! It`s also wonderful on brake dust. The key is to rinse thoroughly with water.

I`ll try to get some good pics.
    Bill Luster

`00 Trans Am / `82 Vette

Post Thanks / Like
    This is not a good picture, but at least it shows how my engine compartment looks.

I`m worried about what I should waterproof. Plus it`s very tight to work on, and has lots of electrical harnesses.

I don`t ever spray the alternator or ignition with either water or SG.

That`s where I get worried...

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m hoping to get my neighbor`s engine bay as clean as yours!

I`m very familiar with GM cars, but not other makes.

I would not use a pressure washer in the engine compartment. Just place some towels or plastic bags over alternator, ignition, any fuse boxes, PCM (computer), etc. (anything with wires running into it!)

For hard-to-reach areas........I spray with Simple Green and scrub with a long-handle brush. Artist`s paint brushes work great or a long-handled bar-b-q brush.
    Bill Luster

`00 Trans Am / `82 Vette

Post Thanks / Like
    Your engine compartment on the GP is immaculate. In order for me to do what you did I`d have to practically pull my entire engine compartment apart and clean every part piece by piece. Lord knows how much time that would take.

I just want to maintain a clean look. That`s why the spray and rinse idea sounds kinda neat, but I wanna see how you guys do it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Keep this in mind......IMPORTANT.

On GM V6 engines, much of what`s under the hood is plastic. There`s very little aluminum (if any). The engine block and tranny are cast iron and painted. (Tranny may be cast aluminum, I`m not sure).

I don`t use Simple Green on unfinished aluminum parts. I use it on all other engine parts diluted 5:1 with water (water 5, SG 1). That`s a very mild solution.

Just a caution so you don`t stain your aluminum parts!
    Bill Luster

`00 Trans Am / `82 Vette

Post Thanks / Like
    Luster, nice car

I own a 96 Cutlass Supreme, same kinda car as you. If you didnt know, REgals, Grand Prixs, Luminas, Monte Carlos, Cutlass Supremes, etc are all the same. They are called w-body cars. Check out www.w-body.com sometime, along with the forums. They would love your car, im an active membner there.

Not all GM v6 are like yours. I have the 3100 SFI, which has NO plastic on it, cept the fuse boxes and such. I see you have the Gen II 3800, the egine im soon putting in mine. the 3100 is almost all aluminum, and it all shows

That Impalla, which is also a w-body (gen II, like the new Monte, Regals, Olds Intrigues, and GrandPrixs), will be close to yours. I think the 3800 is offered, along with the 3400, which is a bored out 3100 with some new top end stuff.

WHat do you use on your block and such? Ive heard tide is really nice. Is the 5:1 solution what you use, and leave the block alone?

Jon

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by godofthunder

WHat do you use on your block and such? Ive heard tide is really nice. Is the 5:1 solution what you use, and leave the block alone?

Jon

Hey Jon....

Thanks for the W-Body info....I`ll take a look at that site. My son has a `91 GP, so I am familiar with the 3100 V6. I was really referring to the 3800 Gen II.

I couldn`t get my son`s 3100 clean, so I painted it SILVER with hi-tem engine paint. Looks like new! I`ll take pics some time and post `em.

For my engine block and tranny, I use the diluted Simple Green and rinse method. Works great. No scrubbing required.

Just remember, when someone asks you a question like this: "You painted your transmission?", Your response should be:

"DOESN`T EVERYONE?"
    Bill Luster

`00 Trans Am / `82 Vette

Post Thanks / Like
    See, taking a tip from a friend on mine with the Alum block and such, he mentioned using tide, since it doesnt discolor.

WHile I got a LOT out, still some oil and stuff arround the place. Good thing I didnt spray the engine down yet!

My brother told me about something called engine bright, or engine clean, which supposeldy is safe on aluminum. He said it cleans ALL off, and gives an amazing shine

Jon

Post Thanks / Like
    I might have to use the tips that Luster provided on my Maxima`s VQ35DE.

Post Thanks / Like
    The Impala, if it has a spoiler, is the 3800. That`s the LS. Base version is the 3400. (Used to own an LS Imp.) I`m also interested in a step-by-step. I need to do my engine compartment, which is the 3800 S/C, just like the GTP.
    Dawn
    `01 Buick Regal GS - Charcoal grey - GONE
    `01 Ford Ranger XLT - Dark blue
    `05 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited - Stone White

Thread Information