Post Thanks / Like
    I see lots of mobile guys around here detailing in the middle of the day, in direct sunlight. They even detail black cars without apparently worrying about water spots.

Now I know they`re using de-ionized water (I`ve asked several), but how is it "special" enough to let you do this? Is it 100% spotless?

Just curious...
    Ben

2000 Estoril Blue M Coupe

2002 Le Mans Blue M5

1988 Alpine White 325iX

1985 Chrysler Green 325e

Post Thanks / Like
    De-Ionised or De-mineralised water contains no minerals or salts and is usually ph7 (neutral) in Acidity/Alkalinity.

since water spots are caused by salts/minerals drying on the car when left alone.

So de-ionised water vertually eliminates them altogether.

I am lucky and have a de-mineralisation unit and reverse osmosis unit at work(which makes water as pure as it can possibly be) and have time to wash my car using it :xyxthumbs

Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    i buy distilled water, non-drinking type and use it to clean my windows w/ a MF...works great!

Post Thanks / Like
    is there a portable unit to make de-ionised water? where can you buy the distilled water? thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Dont get confused between `types` of water.

The most common and easy to get is `softened` water.

It used a resin bed to remove the calcium ions in the `hard` water and replace them with sodium ones.

It means water will dry with very few mineral deposits and is cheap and easy to do.

The next step is de-mineralising, which is done by two methods.

Distilling (hence distilled water), where the water is boiled and condensed, or by Reverse Osmosis where a semi-permeable membrane filters out the minerals.

The final and most expensive step is de-ionising, where EVERYTHING is removed, producing pure water.

This uses Anion and Cation beds to extract both the + and - ions present in the water, leaving it as close to pure as its going to get.

The purity of water is usually measured by its conductivity, expressed in Siemens, milli-siemens or micro-siemens.

The closer to 0 it is, the purer it is.

I`ve used softened water to wash my car, and it works great, tho never had a chance to try de-ionised.

Most power stations have a de-min plant to provide boiler feedwater free of anything that will leave deposits in the tubes when its flashes off into steam.

Post Thanks / Like
    I also use distilled water in a hand sprayer for the final rinse. No spots. I just bought a 1 gallon insecticide sprayer at Sears (on sale for $15) and I`m looking forward to using it going forward.

Distilled water is easy to get at any supermarket. Most people use it for their clothes irons.

Post Thanks / Like
    Smoker

we use an organic scavenger unit which uses resin to take all the solids out of the water down to about 10 micros which uses brine as a flush medium.

We then use an anion and cation resin bed to take out alot of the salts/minerals/ions out of the water using an acid and alkaline flush for each one, but this very rarelly gets the microsemen level bellow 3, so we have to use a reverse osmosis unit to remove the remaining solids/ minerals.

if we used the RO unit before the anion and cation resin beds, then the RO filter mediums would need to be cleaned and back flushed every 5 or 10 minutes which would be a waste of water and down time for the RO.

The RO on its own with a scavenger would be very costly to run and substituting the Resin beds berfore the RO works a treat.

mike

Thread Information