Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Wax bonding

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Intermezzo

Tax,

I hear you. My wife stays away from me until I`ve had my morning cup!

It`s not that I haven`t had my coffee. This is still income tax season for me and I`m practically living on the stuff.
    Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.

--Mark Twain

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by vern

TORT,

All I wanted to know if the wax bonded better at 60 degrees or higher.

vern

no

Post Thanks / Like
    This is straight from P21S

"It`s not the air temperature but the temperature of the metal that makes the difference. If you can get it out in the sun and warm it up a bit it should be doable. But 40 degrees is on the low end."

P21S Customer Service
    2018 Ram Big Horn CTD
    2009 Lexus IS250
    1999 ChampioN 181 Bassboat
    1968 Plymouth Roadrunner 383 4spd

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks ,very informative.I think I`ve seen enough.

Thanks again

vern

Post Thanks / Like
    There was some talk of waxing with #26 when it is below 40 degrees outside... I have a question... How long should i wait to prevent streaking when it is this cold... It does not have to be an exact time just a rough estimate...
    Daniel Forman

The Old Grey Whistle Test togwt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    ~One manâ€â„¢s opinion / observations

1. Wax bonding

Is there any truth the outside temperature should be 60 degrees or higher for the wax to bond properly to the paint??? TIA vern

Temperature conditions:

These are the temperatures and conditions that are relative to the application of car care products; the most important is the actual surface temperature of the vehicle. The other things that will have a direct bearing on this is the humidity as this will effect the cross-linking (cure) time, excess humidity will also affect â€Ëœhowâ€â„¢ a wax or sealant dries (i.e. it may cause hazing or clouding of the surface)

The other climate related condition that should be avoided when applying car care products is direct sunlight, as this will dramatically increase the surface temperature compared to ambient temperatures causing the product to dry prematurely and may render it ineffective.

1.Surface Temperature (Actual surface temperature of the vehicle)- 60 â€â€œ 80oF products will work well within a much broader temperature range, (50° to 90° F) but the best results will be achieved in the 60° to 80° F range surrounding air temp (ambient or room) must be 55oF + to ensure the minimum vehicle surface temperature of 50oF(recommended as a minimum by most manufacturers)

2.Ambient Temperature (Outside air temperature)

3.Relative Humidity (Moisture content of the air)- RH 50% +/-10%

4.Inside Air Temperature (Room Temperature) 70 â€â€œ 75oF +/- 10oF and 50% relative humidity +/- 10%

5.Air movement or windy conditions will increase the evaporation rate but potentially make some products more difficult work with, especially sprayed products. Perversely this can lessen wax / sealant drying time.

In summary, the ideal conditions for the application of car care products; cool and dry, away from direct sunlight, a surface temperature between 60° and 80° F, 50% RH or lower humidity, and a light air movement.

2. Adherence (Wax bonding)

Carnauba wax, polymer sealant and synthetic waxes set-up during the curing process they adhere to a paint film surface primarily by surface tension. The balance of the adherence process is that it works its way via the carrier system (solvent and / or oils) into the microscopic gaps and valleys of the paint film surface thereby creating an anchor. Except in the case of polymer, which initially adheres by surface tension and then after a cross-linking period (12-24 hours, which is time and temp/humidity dependent) forms a molecular bond to the paint

~Hope this helps~

Knowledge unshared is experience wasted [each one / teach one]

justadumbarchitect / so I question everything/ JonM
    What gets overlooked too often is that one must be a student before becoming a teacher.

Post Thanks / Like
    TOGWT, what exactly is "The Old Gray Whistle Test"?????????

The Old Grey Whistle Test togwt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Despite it`s low budget the show (BBC television, England) was a great success. Bands soon found their album sales would soar after an appearance.

When the Old Grey Whistle Test went on air in 1971 it was unique. In a world accustomed to Top of the Pops, here was a show on which the bands performed album tracks and were interviewed after they had played. This was before the days of miming. The music was live and, since the idea was to air new sounds, many of the bands were making their first television appearance. Presenter Bob Harris recalls how the show`s name was inspired by the doormen (in grey suits) who worked at the music publishing houses in London`s Denmark Street, known as `tin pan alley`:

Bob Harris (whispering Bob) on the show

"It was a `tin pan alley` phrase from years ago. When they got the first pressing of a record they would play it to people they called the old greys. The ones they could remember and could whistle having heard it just once or twice had passed the old grey whistle test".

JonM
    What gets overlooked too often is that one must be a student before becoming a teacher.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information