Thread: Wax (bonding)??

Post Thanks / Like
    Just have to have some Autopian oppinions on this.

While poking around on another forum, the subject of sealants bonding and wax not bonding arose. This (person) say`s wax does not bond therefore it is a waste of time layering. I myself do layer. Wax does not bond like a polymer, I know. Does wax just lay on the paint? How does it "attatch" so to speak. According to this guy, it does and if you layer, you are only" smearing it around". If wax infact does not bond, what does it do? How is this explained?:nixweiss

I know wax can build up...so if it does not layer how can it build up?

Just thought I`d get some oppinions other than mine?

thanX guys

:xyxthumbs

Post Thanks / Like
    As I`ve always understood it, the difference is between "chemically" bonding (polymers) and "physically" bonding (organic wax). I`ve also read that polymers contain "open-link" molecules that attatch TO the surface, whereas waxes are "closed -link" and they butt up AGAINST the surface. Maybe someone with a molecular science degree can comment on that.

Here is an excerpt from a boat/gelcoat website (http://www.diy-boat.com/Pages/Archiv...s/gelcoat.html) but the science is the same;

Natural waxes "stick" to the surface forming a temporary physical bond and need heat or friction to crystallize. That`s why you let the wax haze over, then buff either by hand or with a polisher. Pure wax requires extra effort to apply an even coat and then get it to shine. Repeat applications stick to the previous coat forming a wax buildup that eventually must be removed. In the presence of sunlight, it starts to go back to its natural uncrystallized form, becomes yellow and dull. Because it`s physically sticking to the surface, not attached chemically, any hydrocarbon fluid, including suntan lotion, will remove the wax. Polymers are engineered to form a chemical bond to the substrate. They become part of the surface, as opposed to sticking to the surface. As solvents evaporate, they start to polymerize, which is a form of crystallizing, and don`t need power buffing or rubbing until your arm hurts to create heat or friction and shine. Once they polymerize, they stay in that state until worn off by abrasion or the elements.

Also remember; the type of wax dictates whether or not it can be layered at all-a cleaner wax with mild abrasives or a product with high solvent content will likely totally remove or "melt" away most of the previous coat of wax, bringing you back to square one. Some purer carnaubas will probably (guessing here) add a bit more wax onto the previous coat (along with more shine from the renewed oils), but it`s not quite the same as a polymer`s layering abilities. Kind of like 2 steps up and 1 step back. Still fun though.

Hope that helps, cheers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Guitarman, nice piece of science info there. :xyxthumbs

Post Thanks / Like
    Guitarman,

Nice bit of info......I`ll have to file this one!

Thread Information