Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    I know the proper way to fix this is to spend the prep time and aviod the issue altogether . But in my pre-autopia days I was not careful enough and the black trim on parts of my car has a white residue. What would be the best way to remove this and clean the trim? I understand 303 is a good protectant once I have it clean.

TIA!

:wavey

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve had decent luck using cleaners like simple green and a soft toothbrush or even acryllic solvent. If you use the acryllic solvent wash it off right after with soap and water.

Post Thanks / Like
    Peanut butter is also a good solution. The oils in the PB will draw out the filler left in your trim. Its an old trick that has been used for years and it works.

Using a brush and some cleaner like Thumper suggested is also a good way of doing it. You either need to draw the fillers out or brush them out. Either method will work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Someone once gave the suggestion of using a tar remover. Do a search on this, it`s supposed to work well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blake325ic- All the cleaners mentioned might work. Also consider 3M Adhesive Remover, Wurth Cleans-All, maybe even brake parts cleaner (but be careful with that stuff). Erasers can help scrub it off, too, but again, be careful around your paint.

Instead of dressing it, I apply AIO followed by SG, or BFII.

Post Thanks / Like
    Try 3M`s Adhesive, Tar and Wax Remover pn #03607.

Link: Finally - wax residue removal product that works

Originally posted by Greg Heumann

NONE of the "combo" cleaner/protectant products really remove wax residue, either. The Meguiar`s rep swore that their "Trim Detailer" product would remove wax residue. Well - it may hide it longer than most - but I see no evidence of removal.

The best product for actual removal is the 3M stuff I mentioned above. It is strictly a solvent. Because it has NO oils and evaporates quickly, you can TELL almost immediately if you truly got rid of the residue, or merely hid it for a short time. But it takes time to soften the vinyl/rubber and loosen the wax, then a lot of agitation/rubbing to work. So it is not a "wipe on, wipe off" product by any stretch.

I`ve even tried Prepsol and PPG`s "Acryli-Clean DX 330" wax and grease remover - these are what body shops use to remove wax before painting. Well - they may remove it from painted surfaces, but they don`t work any better (and probably not as well) removing it from black plastic/vinyl/rubber.

Post Thanks / Like
    thanks for the link BW. Exaclty what I was looking for.
    If you tremble indignation at every injustice then you are a comrade of mine. - <b>Ernesto Che Guevara</b>

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is a recent detail I did and one that I am documenting for a step by step exterior detailing, from cutting the paint to finishing it out and what took me a long time was the wax residue removal from the moldings. It is all over the place, even stained the convertible top.

I used a stiff nylon detail brush and a leather/vinyl cleaner called Deep Down and just worked it over a few times.

Before:
    "The Art & Science of Auto Detail"

Post Thanks / Like
    This is an after pic without any type of dressing applied. I prefer it this way because there is no smearing and runoff when it rains.

After:

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice work....:up
    Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing

Post Thanks / Like
    Anthony - not to doubt you and don`t take this the wrong way but I have seen lots of solutions that work.....until washed once or twice.

How did it stand up after washing?

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Deemo,

Not to worry, no offense taken at all. In fact I really appreciate the question as it shows me that not everyone buys everything hook line and sinker.

The question and concern are valid but because I did not cover up the wax residue but rather removed it there is nothing to be washed away. I will finish the detail this coming Wed. if the weather holds out.

I`ll post some updated pictures. The paint work around the trim, the wheels and the tires have not been detailed at all. I spent the whole day on the interior, which was real dirty, and the rest of the day washing it (no motor detail), the claying session and then wax removal from the trim and soft top.

I`ll need to hit the soft top once more though as it had alot of dried wax residue in the fibers.

Take Care,

Anthony

Post Thanks / Like
    Anthony and BW,

great tips!!

I have the 3m and I plan on purchasing Deep Downfrom Topoftheline.com (Anthony, keeps talking about it, so I need it).
    2001 Volvo S80 Black
    2002 Volvo C70 Silver

Post Thanks / Like
    This is the same M3 BMW about a week and a few days after the initial detail. Sadly I did not have the car long enough to do a step by step photo shoot but I hope to do that soon....just need to find a victim

I just wanted to post a few pics to show that the wax residue did not re-appear and they still look good without any dressing.

Post Thanks / Like
    I just love a shiny red car.......cops do too:shocked

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information