Post Thanks / Like
    I bought a silver 03 WRX and later noticed the dealer had polished it for some reason and left swirl marks. They told me to to take it back to have it buffed but I am worried about bad results. Anyone knowledgable can suggest what I should ask the dealer before they buff? The swirl marks are a small area at the rear fender and spoiler that look dull. Will this come out easy or should I ask them to have the car done at a pro detailing biz? They have a Subaru body shop right there in their complex so I assume the should do it right (The car is from another dealer so maybe the other dealer were the ones who scratched the paint). Anyone with some advice? TIA

:angry

Post Thanks / Like
    I would make them pay for it to be done at a pro detailing place AND make sure you talk to the detailer before he starts to explain what the problem is.

The dealer would prolly just lather the car in a glaze and wax to fill in the swirls and pack you off till the wax washes off and the swirls re-appear.

If it is `dull looking` thats pretty bad.

Maybe someone got a little enthusiastic when they were PDIing it and removing all the transport wax with a rotary and wool pad

Whatever it is, I would get it fixed properly, those cars aint cheap!

Post Thanks / Like
    Well the dealer is part of a huge chain of dealerships and they have their own detailing department for all the dealers. Would those guys be better at fixing the problem than the people at the body shop? I know it`s hard say but I am not familiar with which are the average capabilities of body shop guys and dealer detailing guys. Would buffing wear down the clear coat to the point that it needs to be repainted? Would you recommend that I allow them to paint the car if needed or just live with it? Is clear coating re-do`able without re-painting? Any insight is appreciated. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Dealers rarely have properly trained detailers do the prep work because they can`t afford them. Most of the time, it`s the shop-monkeys with a rotary.

I don`t think the damage will be bad enough to require a repaint, but you can always get a second opinion from a reputable painter or qualified detailer.

If I were you, I would get out there with my PC and go at it with some DACP and SMR.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the advice but what`s all the acronyms?

PC=personal computer but what`s all the rest? Sorry I`m a newbie.

Post Thanks / Like
    PC = Porter Cable (mainly the random orbital buffer, 7424 and 7336)

DACP = Meguiars Dual Action Cleaner Polish

SMR = Swirl Mark Remover

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, I would do it myself but I am only good with mechanical stuff, not with paint stuff. I wouldn`t want to make it worse. I guess my best option is to try and have the detailing guys fix the problem. This is depressing.:nixweiss

Post Thanks / Like
    Put it this way...........dealers sell cars, they dont detail. Their detail shops are full of 8.50 an hour guys who don`t give a rats arse about your car.

Buy some 3M SMR and a nice wax and each weekend polish the swirls you can see, if you don`t see swirls on a panel then skip it. After your done with that just apply some wax once every other week.

Save yourself the money, time and most of all the HEADACHE of dealer detailing.

It`s easy stuff man.

Post Thanks / Like
    Or find a reputable independant detailer in your area.

Swirls are pretty easy to remove once youve bit the bullet and given it a go.

You can recoup the cost of a PC and a bottle of DACP just by doing a coupla other peoples cars.

If you fancy giving it a go, I`m sure theres lenty of folks on here will give you good advice.

Thread Information