Post Thanks / Like
    I got some chips on my bumper but some scratches as well. Is it alright to use some DACP before I apply the touch up paint? I thought it might hurt the exposed plastic.

http://www13.brinkster.com/hamzor/Car%20page.htm

(or go to car pics from www13.brinkster.com/hamzor)

Also, any tips for using the touch up paint? Some say I should cut the applicating brush into a smaller triangle like brush. Should I use a toothpick?

thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    As for the touch up paint, I think most prefer to use a toothpick or artist brush (something small). I don`t think anyone would suggest to use the brush that comes with the touch up paint.

You can do a search here for the proper way to touch up paint. You might want to check out this autopia article...

http://www.autopia.ws/articles.php?articleId=27

Post Thanks / Like
    you might want to try some of this, too:

http://www.langka.com/newsite/index2.html

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve tried several ways of applying touch up paint and by far the best one has been a matchstick. The problems I found with an artists brush it that the paint tends to dry on the brush, this makes it difficult to get consistent results.

If you take a cardboard matchstick and cut the end of it at a 45 degree angle you will have a very fine point to work with. The cardboard also seems to absorb the paint a bit and lets you apply a very small amount. The best part is that if the paint starts to dry (sticky) you can toss it and use another. Cost is free!. You`ll need probably 3 or 4 coats to fill the chip so expect to spend some time on it.

Langka works pretty good too but I think the key is take your time and try to prevent the blob from happening in the first place.
    Afshin

90 Porsche 928 GT - Marine Blue

09 MazdaSpeed3 - Metropolitan Gray Mica

04 Honda Pilot - Silver

Post Thanks / Like
    Because of the bumper being plastic, I just have to lightly sand and then apply the touchup paint right? Maybe a bit of sanding after if it needs it.

thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    I would take a toothpick and gently scrub around the inside edge of the chip to remove any dirt and wax.

I would then use rubbing alcohol to clean the chip, Q-Tips work well for this.

Once the chip is clean you can apply the touch up paint. Apply a coat and wait for it to dry (3 - 12 hours depending on type of paint) and apply another coat until the chip is filled.
    Afshin

04 Honda Pilot - Silver

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by MBZ 500E

I would take a toothpick and gently scrub around the inside edge of the chip to remove any dirt and wax.

I would then use rubbing alcohol to clean the chip, Q-Tips work well for this.

Once the chip is clean you can apply the touch up paint. Apply a coat and wait for it to dry (3 - 12 hours depending on type of paint) and apply another coat until the chip is filled.

I`m currently working on this, it`s very tedius and annoying. Sometimes it seems that the paint doesn`t want to flow off the toothpick at all. I`m not sure if it`s because the fine point doesn`t create enough tension on the paint to make it flow or what.

Post Thanks / Like
    speaking of touch up paint, which one should be applied first, DACP (or any other swirl remover), and touch up paint?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mindflux,

Try the matchstick instead of the toothpick. What you`ll notice is that if you dip the matchstick a couple of times you will get a very very small drop of touch up paint on the end of it. Use this very small drop of touch up to fill your chip.

Mildseven,

Before applying the touch up paint to the chip you shouldn`t apply any swirl remove or anything except the alcohol. I waited three hours after applying the last coat and polished the whole car with SEPC without any problems. I can`t take credit for that information, someone on this site suggested that one.
    Afshin

04 Honda Pilot - Silver

Post Thanks / Like
    Thats what the body shop I go to uses for paint chips and scratches is the end of a match. He said if I ever wanted to know how to do it just go there and he will show me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by MBZ 500E

Mindflux,

Try the matchstick instead of the toothpick. What you`ll notice is that if you dip the matchstick a couple of times you will get a very very small drop of touch up paint on the end of it. Use this very small drop of touch up to fill your chip.

Mildseven,

Before applying the touch up paint to the chip you shouldn`t apply any swirl remove or anything except the alcohol. I waited three hours after applying the last coat and polished the whole car with SEPC without any problems. I can`t take credit for that information, someone on this site suggested that one.

MBZ 500E. So a paper matchstick end? I`ll have to give that a go, although it seems like the end is too wide for some of the small spots I`m touching up? Do you still layer it over time, or is the `blob` on the matchstick enough to fill most chips in one go? :nixweiss

I`m trying to get them to look as clean as possible, but the whole toothpick thing is hard to tell, sometimes the paint flows off ok, sometimes it doesn`t.

Post Thanks / Like
    Use a good pair of scissors and cut the end of the mathstick at a 45 degree angle. This will create a sharpe edge to work with. Good luck
    Afshin

04 Honda Pilot - Silver

Thread Information