Post Thanks / Like
    Since writing a review/recommending Engine Kote, several people have asked me how long it lasts. I never really knew because I never really tried to test it. I figured maybe it would stand up to some water, but I didn`t know... When I first got it, I masked off my kitchen trash can down the middle and applied it to one half. 9 months later, you can still very clearly see the two sides. It occasionally gets wiped down. But that wasn`t too conclusive.

Today, I was detailing my sister`s 1995 Bonneville, and decided to do the engine first. After cleaning it off with APC+ and a brush, I sprayed it with Engine Kote. There was a fair amount of overspray onto the base of the windshield and the tops of the fenders. I figured it wasn`t a big deal as I was about to wash the car in a minute. Well, carwash and rather warm water didn`t make a dent. Mother`s clay barely made a dent in the fenders and did nothing for the windshield. It took a few passes with a red cutting pad and some DACP to remove it (though I was doing this to the car anyway, so I didn`t try other products to remove the overspray). On the windshield I had to break out some Medallion Premium Paint Cleaner and a foam pad. Even that wasn`t really getting it all, so I tried the 3M Tar, Adhesive, and Wax Remover (which was amazing on the 6-yr old tar that was splattered all over the bottom of the car). Then I had to finish it off with some more MPPC. It was almost absurd. This stuff was just not coming off... And it only sat there for about 5 minutes max before I hosed it down. So I think it is safe to say that Engine Kote is pretty durable. Her engine bay looked great, by the way. :xyxthumbs

Post Thanks / Like
    Yikes.

Note to self: use Engine Kote where there is no breeze, and either mask off or drape towels over fenders, bumper, and windshield.

One suggestion though . . . perhaps alcohol would dissolve the overspray? If I get a chance to try EK out tomorrow (have it on hand, just haven`t cleaned my engine bay yet), maybe I`ll find something (other than my paint) to spray it on, let it set up, and try alcohol out to see if it will remove it.

Thanks for the info/warning,

Tort

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by TortoiseAWD

Note to self: use Engine Kote where there is no breeze, and either mask off or drape towels over fenders, bumper, and windshield.

Actually, good point. I was doing this outside and there was quite a breeze going. I`ve never really had that happen before, but I`ve always used it inside. I`m glad it is pretty tough, though. If you wipe your engine down after using it, you won`t be wiping it off. You could also probably just try to wipe it off right after spraying it before it gets a chance to dry at all.

Post Thanks / Like
    Try some ammonia to remove the engine kote overspray. I dont know about engine kote but other engine dressings are like clear floor wax and can be removed with ammonia

Post Thanks / Like
    Hmm, everyone seems to be tossing me ideas to remove EK. I really am not looking for any. I just wanted to answer a question I`ve gotten a few times about how tough EK is. Apparently it is pretty tough.

Thread Information