Post Thanks / Like
    I just found a 1.5" tear in the XJS`s rubber door seal/weatherstrip It`s the rubber that`s in the door jamb that the (driver`s) door closes against. It`s a clean tear, and the seal is in otherwise great shape. I`ve cleaned the area with 3M adhesive remover and I`d like to "glue" the tear shut. This will be a rubber-to-rubber situation where some flexibility will be required after the repair cures.

I have 3M`s super Weatherstrip Adhesive (pn 08008), but it is VERY thick and gooey (maybe/probably too much so for me to apply cleanly) and I think it`s more for gluing the weatherstrip to the car (rubber-to-metal instead of rubber-to-rubber).

This car is my "keeper", I need to fix it right the first time.

SO..what do my fellow Autopians recommend and where can I get it?

Post Thanks / Like
    NEw seal.................Jaguar dealer

Post Thanks / Like
    I don`t know what`s the right way to repair these. But this morning, as I was surfing Ebay Motors in search of a couple of Jag parts, I noticed there are several door seals -- some kits, some for individual doors. You might want to search there.

OK, Ijust went back to ebay. One is a kit specificallyfor the XJS: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...&category=6766 - for about $65, auction ending in 8 hrs. Just in case you`re interested.

Post Thanks / Like
    Silicone?

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for all the suggestions so far.

bizzy928- I`m not sure the silicone would really glue the split shut. It`s a thought, though.

Lynn- Thanks for the E-bay link, I`m the current high bidder. I really appreciate your taking the time to find that for me. BUT..heh heh, see below.

Guess My Name & Lynn- The problem isn`t really REMOTELY serious enough for me to think about replacing the whole seal (I`m buying them for spares), plus I`m just SOOO reluctant to change stuff on that car. Often the "fix" bothers me more than the "problem". I regret some (minor) things I changed back when I was younger (especially where the repairs/work were done badly) and as more things become necessary I worry about losing the "time capsule/time machine" effect and the patina that says "this car got USED by someone who really DROVE it". Yes, I AM rather weird (especially) where that particular car is concerned (gross understatement), but then it`s all about my being happy with it.

Post Thanks / Like
    I do understand what you`re saying, Accumulator. And, like you, I buy some things on ebay to have as spares in case I really need to replace a part. (I`m not going to tell you how many dashboards, steering wheels, fender-badge leapers, etc. I currently own.) On a 28-yr-old car, it`s a good idea of build one`s own in-house "parts store."

A friend with a series 3 XJ6 tells me that those door seals can be difficult to replace correctly. (Don`t know if the XJS is equally so.) So that`s another reason for you to hook up with your local Jag club: you`ll definitely find somebody there who has done it and can give you tips from his/her experience. :xyxthumbs

Post Thanks / Like
    Lynn- Looking at it, the XJS`s door seal would be a BEAR to replace correctly. I`d say MUCH harder than the XJ sedan, but not as hard as your coupe (if only due to the size). Virtually inconceivable that it would be as good as it is now. The tear would have to get MUCH worse for me to really consider it. Still, it`ll be good to have the new seals on hand.

Just had to buy new backup light lenses to get the gaskets The old ones dried out too much to pull out in big enough pieces to use as a pattern, otherwise I could`ve cut some new ones with an X-Acto knife. Wish I`d caught it before the moisture corroded the inside of the housing. Another reason to get/keep it out of deep storage and play with it more often.

I should`ve seen the nudge towards club membership coming, huh

Thread Information