Post Thanks / Like
    So my wife washes her van today, and she notices that all over the thing are these small brown dots of something. On first glance, you`d think "rust!" But that`s not it--these dots are also on all the plastic bits and pieces (bumper covers, etc.)

As I put a fingernail to these spots, they do somewhat come off. When I scrape a bit on the bumper cover, it looks like the spot is smearing--as if it`s a bit sticky/greasy.

This silver Honda van is 1.5 years old and is always garaged. These spots weren`t there last fall. The only thing I can think of is industrial pollution of some kind--maybe something we drove through, or something that came down in the rain. I have no idea, as I`ve never seen anything like this before.

Anyway, I *think* that these spots would come off with the correct persuasion. Any idea what I should use that would persuade this gunk to come off but leave the clearcoat alone? Something that`s useful for both metal and plastic surfaces?

Sorry, but I know nothing about detailing and am afraid to I`d use something way too rough for this. Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.

Post Thanks / Like
    get a clay magic kit, its probably tree sap or tar. You can get them at autozone, or if your lucky, you can find them at your local walmart if they carry them. cost about 9.47 for a kit, and one kit usually does about 6 cars on an average if the finish is decent, but use a mix of car wash and distilled water as a lube instead of the lubricant bc youll end up wasting too much of it just trying to clay. Hope this is enough info to get you started. Then just follow up with a wax or you can use a prewax cleaner also then wax if you want more shine.
    18 Honda Civic SI White Pearl 6mt(:lever

02 Honda Aquatrax f12x watercraft

01 Yamaha Superjet Modded

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Abercrombie2582

get a clay magic kit, its overspray from treespray and such.

Great, thanks. What`s a "clay magic kit"?

Post Thanks / Like
    Where are you? It sounds aphid honeydew from parking under a tree.

Clay will do the job.
    370HSSV

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks! I was referred from odyclub.com; fortunately, some of those guys take careful care of their cars. (Me...well, I want to take care of this issue, but.....I let things lapse...)

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome! :wavey

"Clay Magic" is just the name of a detailing clay kit that is widely available. Blue and black box... you should be able to get it at Autozone, Pep Boys, some Wal-Marts, whatever. Also available is the Mother`s detailing clay, but I personally would go with Clay Magic, like they said.

Post Thanks / Like
    one more idea, if you or your wife has had the car detailed, the detailer may have improperly applied some tire dressing with silicones in it. As the wheels go faster and hotter, this product can "sling" off onto your car`s paint. If you notice it especially behind the drive wheels (front ones on a Honda) then it could be "slinging" from the tire dressing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Clay Magic it is. Thanks for the referral. It`s nice to know that it`s something simple I can pick up at a wide variety of places. Maybe this`ll be my Sunday project.

No, the wife hasn`t had the car detailed at all. This came out of the blue.

Post Thanks / Like
    :welcome to Autopia, Adam1991.

Be sure to report back to us once you`ve used the clay.

Also, before you start to use the clay, be sure to do a search here. There have been a ton of threads on this topic, with lots of practical, detailed info. Key issues for a new user seem to be: (1) be sure to use plenty of lube and (2) be sure to stretch and fold the clay frequently so that you`re using "uncontaminated" portions of clay while you do the procedure. BradB (and probably others) recommend that you cut the clay into small sections so that if you drop a bit, you don`t ruin the whole clay bar.

Thread Information