Professional Detailer detailbarn's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I just saw this in Sema News looks like a good idea. Any autopian thoughts on it? www.buygritguard.com

Post Thanks / Like
    I would lean towards the insert alone at 14.95 which is still pretty expensive. Can`t see paying paying another 20.00 for a plastic bucket.

Would sure beat the chickenwire insert I am now using. It`s a little flimsy.

Nice find. :xyxthumbs

They do mention a discount for quantity orders. Hmmmm...anyone interested??
    Be Nice

Post Thanks / Like
    Isn`t the problem they`re supposedly solving (dirt/grit in the wash mitt) the reason that we use the 2- or even 3-bucket method for washing? This product looks to me like an expensive solution to an easily-avoided problem. :nixweiss

Oh I'll Bring the Shizzle Nagchampa's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    So when its all said and done you have spent $60 on a fancy wash bucket that has wheels under it. I bet you could get the same effect by cutting up a couple of old milk crates and stuffing them in an old bucket.
    "Never walk into an environment and assume that you understand it better than the people who live there." - Kofi Annan after his first frigid Minnesota winter

Post Thanks / Like
    The gentleman that developed the grid guard bucket, Doug Lamb, is very knowledgeable when it comes to car care. After perfecting the insert, which first began as a fluorescent light grid, he was granted a utility patent. Doug then incorporated other aspects of bucket advancement and bundled them together, such as the screw down lid (which is a patent he pays a royalty to use) and the dolly system.

I would agree with you Lynn that his product may be an expensive solution to an easily avoided problem but society tends to be lazy. I happen to use a grid guard system and the dolly system is probably my favorite aspect of it. IMO of course.

Post Thanks / Like
    I wouldn`t have much use for the bucket dolly, I mean how hard is it to pick up your bucket and move it 3 or 4 feet each time as you work your way around the vehicle? I think the insert is a great idea though. $15 plus shipping for a tool that you`d use all the time doesn`t seem like such a bad deal. How many tools do you have laying around your garage that you paid 3, 4 or 5 times as much or more and only use it a couple of times a year? How many people here have 3 or 4 different containers of waxes/sealants sitting on a shelf at home? I`m sure you don`t think that`s frivolous.

Post Thanks / Like
    Instead of chicken wire in the bottom here is another suggestion.

Take an extra bucket which will fit inside the one you like to use for your wash. Remove the handle and and drill lots of holes in the bottom of it. I used both a 1 1/2 inch drill bit and also a 1/2 inch drill bite. Insert this drill bucket inside and you have in essence a 5 gal strainer.

Post Thanks / Like
    I saw that bucket at SEMA and got the lowdown from Doug`s wife. A cool innovation. Thanks for the reminder - I`m gonna buy one.
    There are only three things you need to know about me. Gloss, Gloss, GLOSS!!

Post Thanks / Like
    how come the grit won`t stir up from the bottom of the bucket, through the holes and back up into the water???

What keeps the grit down there?

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by xpguy

What keeps the grit down there?
    Gravity mostly, and since there`s an obstruction created by the grid, rinsing your wash mitt or sponge shouldn`t stir the grit up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Interesting idea. I think for mobile detailers who don`t have a water source that this could allow you to transport 5 gallons of water to job with their airtight lid, could be valuable for some. Not sure if this is frivolous, but the part about choosing from their many colors for the inserts is, who cares what color the guard at the bottom of your bucket is.

Post Thanks / Like
    It seems like a good idea to me.
    2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport -- Zaino

1999 MB C280 -- 1Z Glanz

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by HellrotCi

Gravity mostly, and since there`s an obstruction created by the grid, rinsing your wash mitt or sponge shouldn`t stir the grit up.

so if the grit is kept at the bottom by gravity, wouldn`t it make sense just to rinse out your dirty mitt at the top of the water in the bucket, not allowing your mitt to touch the bottom say 3 inches of the bucket?

It seems like keeping the bottom of the bucket grit off the mitt can be achieved by not allowing the mitt to touch the bottom of the bucket???

This can be done without some fancy obstruction at the bottom of the bucket

Post Thanks / Like
    xpguy, you`re absolute correct. The insert is something nobody really needs, but let`s say while you were rinsing your sponge you dropped it in the bucket. With the insert the sponge will not fall into the grit lying on the bottom. Without the insert you`re just going to have to swish and rinse your sponge just a little more to be sure you rinsed out the grit from the bottom of the bucket.

Here`s another point about the insert. When you are relocating your wash buckets as you move around your vehicle, you have to drop your sponge somewhere when you grab the bucket handles. Since it`s most likely the last step prior to moving your buckets is to rinse your sponge, it would be more convenient to just drop it in the rinse bucket rather than taking it out of the rinse bucket and dropping it into the wash bucket. The insert is just a new gadget, nothing more. How many gadgets do you have around your house that you really didn`t need, but they’re nice to have?

Professional Detailer detailbarn's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    thats just it it`s a nice gadget to have , and some may find it stupid to have , but others will enjoy having it. I think that it`s up to each person to choose what they do and don`t want remember we are autopian`s we are a very different breed of person than most. Alot of people may think we`re off our rocker for being so exsesive about detailing our vehilces to that person I say foo. Vehicles our most peoples second largest investment , so I think the person who doens`t take extra care of it is off their rocker.

Cheers to stupid little gadgets that make us happy whether we need them or not.:xyxthumbs

Thread Information