Thread: Wax Longevity

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m currently using Blitz over Klasse. I was wondering if multiple layers of Blitz will make it last longer or just improve the shine.

Also, is it ok to wax the car without doing a cleaing/polishing before? I did a full clean, polish, and wax last weekend and was thinking of going back and adding another coat of wax

Post Thanks / Like
    In general you cannot layer wax. Application of additional coats only serves to reliquify the existing wax and spread it around again. An extra coat of wax will even out protection but will not increase for the most part.

You can add another coat as long as the surface is clean.
    There are only three things you need to know about me. Gloss, Gloss, GLOSS!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Dragon99- I agree with bretfraz on the "OK to wax if clean". A coat a week works well; I do it all the time. You`re gonna find differing opinions on the layerability of waxes. I believe you CAN layer (given a long enough cure time) and that it DOES increase durability. I cleaned thick, yellowish (Malm`s liquid) wax build-up off my XJS back when it got waxed more than it got driven. Liquid wax layering depsite the solvent content!?! Yep. Isolated incident? :nixweiss

One of these days I`ll do an experiment with one vs. many layers. But even with a good, controlled test, the results could be that-wax-specific and not applicable across the board.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by bretfraz

In general you cannot layer wax. Application of additional coats only serves to reliquify the existing wax and spread it around again. An extra coat of wax will even out protection but will not increase for the most part.

You can add another coat as long as the surface is clean.

I tried a little experiment this weekend......

- First, I washed the car w/ regular car wash soap.....

- After drying, I went over the car w/ some Meg. Quick Detailer to get the rest on the streaks and water spots....

- Next, I applied Meg GC

- Finally, I put S100 over the Meg GC......

IMHO, I really liked the way it came out....... I used to do the #7 w/ S100, but I think this combo looks way better...... I know that they are both waxes, but, I could really see the difference as I was doing it panel at a time......

I`ve got some pics I`ll post later on......

Post Thanks / Like
    I find with my daily driver that after Just one week and one wash, the effect is lessoned enough to apply another coat of wax.

So I feel that you are not laying in this case, rather feeding or replacing lost wax. Wax evaporates. It seems to wash off as well with car wash.

2007 BMW ///M3 Jerez Black /Fox Red/Carbon

Thread Information