Post Thanks / Like
    I will be detailing my car for the first time pretty soon, well as in claying polishing, only done waxing before. Question is i have a bunch of products at home that my dad has but don`t know what order to use them in, they are the following.

1. Mothers clay bar

2. Mothers showtime instant detailer (came w/ bar and says to use w/ the bar)

3. Mothers carnauba cleaner wax (no clue when to use this)

4. Mothers pre wax cleaner

5. Autoglym extra gloss protectoin

6. pro car beauty yellow wax

what order do i use these in and what are some things you might suggest me using in addition to these. What is a sealer wax? Thank you. Might there also be a list online that shows the basic steps.

Post Thanks / Like
    Get a good quality car wash shampoo like mothers, Meguiars Gold Class or Eagle One. Then wash and dry the car. The next step would be to clay the car. You can use the Mother QD, but I would save that and use a batch of clean, soapy water as a lubricant for the clay bar. This works great and you can save the OD for later.

Now the next step may be debatable. You have Mother`s cleaner wax and their #1 Pre wax cleaner. The pre-wax cleaner uses chemicals to remove any oxidations and to clean the paint surface. The cleaner wax will remove some contamination and will leave a nice shine. It depends on what shape your paint it in--if you have not taken good care of it--I would say use the pre-wax cleaner.

As for the Autoglym, I have not used this product--so I will others contribute on that one. The pro-car wax would then be the last item to use. I would say that a sealer wax would be one with no cleaning properties and it could be pure canuba or a mixture of wax and polyers. Though, don`t hold me to this--names don`t alway match with composition.

Hope this helps:xyxthumbs

Post Thanks / Like
    You`ve got a bit of duplication here. The Mothers cleaner wax, the Autoglym, and the Pro car wax will all do the same thing, mostly. The Mothers has some cleaners in it (duh) while the other two are final step protectants with no cleaners.

What I`d do is wash and clay the entire car. Then I`d try a little of the polish on one area to determine effectiveness. If its doing the job you want it to, polish the entire car.

The last step is protection and any of the three mentioned will work. The Autoglym will last the longest as it is a resin-based sealant. The other two are carnauba-based and are not as durable but may be easier to use.

You might want to experiment with all three to determine which one gives you the look you want.
    There are only three things you need to know about me. Gloss, Gloss, GLOSS!!

Post Thanks / Like
    There may be bonding issues with the autoglym , i would say get some Autoglym resin polish and then top with the extra gloss.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, I would say Clay, Resin, Gloss and maybe wax on top. Think of Autoglym as a two stage product, Resin then Gloss.

Steven

Post Thanks / Like
    There have been some good suggestions here, in particular with the Autoglym stuff. I am not familiar with their line, but had been using Mother`s for years prior to visiting Autopia. I would suggest the following alternative, in case you did not want to use Autoglym.

1) Wash the car, rinse off, but don`t dry. Get a fresh batch of car soap and water and use that as the clay bar lube. Once you are done, rewash with the car soap and dry thoroughly. Chewy`s recommendations are good, but unfortunately, I have only seen the EO and Mother`s car soaps here in local stores, mainly Canadian Tire.

2) Clean the car with the pre-wax cleaner. Make sure you follow the directions, and work it in well. I have had excellent results with this stuff.

3) Get the Mother`s Sealer and Glaze (step 2) and apply that to the car.

4) Get the Mother`s Pure Carnauba Wax (no cleaners) and apply.

This combination won`t last as long, but will be certainly very nice looking, with a warm glow. Conversely, if you make your way to Lordco, you can get Meguiar`s #26 Hi-Tech Yellow Wax, which is more durable than the Mother`s. There is also their #20, but it has cleaners and will remove the Sealer and Glaze.

Lots of options...you might want to run some searches on the products which have been mentioned and check them out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys, i`m using some bmw wash soap i got from them so as for wash i`m covered. You guys don`t think i should use the autoglym stuff in conjunction with the mothers do you. I plan to get some s100 wax after i finish using the stuff i have right now (almost gone). I was thinking of putting the glaze on top of the polish followed by the wax, is this viable? Should i go out and get some ag resin polish or just use the stuff i already have? thanks for the great amount of help already!:up

Post Thanks / Like
    I think you should stick with either the sealant-type products like Autoglym or wax-based products like Mothers. Mixing them creates confusion sometimes.

Hard core enthusiasts sometimes use wax as a topper to a sealant to get a certain look. Since this is new to you I`m not sure you will notice a diff.

If you want to skip the Autoglym stuff then go with the plan 2wheelsx2 offered. If you want to skip the Mothers stuff, follow Lowejackson`s plan. Don`t worry about buying S100 just yet.

If you`re not sure which way to go, try experimenting a little. It won`t hurt your car and you`ll learn a lot.
    There are only three things you need to know about me. Gloss, Gloss, GLOSS!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Mike;

I noticed that the products you mentioned, Qd,Clay and cleaner wax come in the Mothers clay bar kit. I love this kit.

I would like to make a suggestion that can save you time and provide for good base.

1. Wash

2. Clay using the Showtime Qd

3. Klasse AIO.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks bretfraz and 2wheels. I think i`ll try the sealant on top of the polish then. Mixing sealant and wax types only causes confusions...no problems for the car paint though right?

I`ve seen that around this forums a lot...Klasse AIO, what is this? (The aio stand for something doesn`t it...)

Post Thanks / Like
    Klasse AIO: All-In-One cleans and protects. A very good product and very easy to use.

Thread Information