Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    To accompany my thread on the wonderful unexpected things that you find when you start detailing. The details about the car: 1993 Ford Probe GT. Detailed once in its life, about two years ago... In the before photos, the car was clean above the moulding, obviously not yet below. Claying the car really didn`t make a bit of difference in the overall look of the car. It really was that nasty looking flat color.

Post Thanks / Like
    Obviously, the car wasn`t going to be perfect. There was some oxidation that I wasn`t able to remove because of the clearcoat problems that I discovered (surprise!), as well as some deeper swirl marks.

Nope, I`m not done yet.. still have to finish the interior, the wheel wells, and the tires as well as the rubber bits and pieces on the car. I`ll probably do that a bit closer to when I actually put the car on the market.

more if you`d like them... what a nice behind it`s got now!

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice! I can`t believe the difference in the shine of the paint. Looking at the before pics, I never would have expected it to look that good.

Wanna share your secret/technique / products used??

:up

Post Thanks / Like
    Rae... bud, you have some serious picture format problems. Whatever you did caused all IE browsers to stop displaying pictures. Please figure out what you did before uploading more pictures.

What program are you using?

db

:wavey

Post Thanks / Like
    you have some serious picture format problems

David - Ugh. The pics are straight from Photoshop, saved as jpegs

Mind if I message you about it so we can figure this out?

Post Thanks / Like
    I was not able to view the photos either, but they appear to have done no damage to my browser. I can still view pictures. I have Norton Anti Virus on my machine and it usually gives a warning if there is a virus and I got no warning.

I don`t know what is happening.
    2003 Red CTS

2001 Silver Mazda 626

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by wilbanks@autopi

I was not able to view the photos either, but they appear to have done no damage to my browser. I can still view pictures. I have Norton Anti Virus on my machine and it usually gives a warning if there is a virus and I got no warning.

I don`t know what is happening.

I`m going to venture a guess that it`s the embedded color profile in the picture generated by Photoshop on my machine that`s giving IE problems.

I tested the pics on the machines here with no problems, but they`re Macs running a different version of Internet Explorer.

I`ll try resaving the images in a different program that doesn`t embed color profiles as Photoshop does, but I`ll talk with David about it before I upload or link anything, since I can`t test the images from here.

Post Thanks / Like
    just save them, with out embedding profile. what version of photoshop you using?

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh, I was on a Linux machine running Konqueror (web browser), and I could see all the pics except the second "after" pic. Now that I`m at work and using Windows and MSIE, I see what you mean.

In Photoshop, did you use the "Save for Web..." feature, or just the Save As..? Are the pics RGB?

good luck.

Post Thanks / Like
    ::covering head and ducking in shame::

okay, okay! Save for web!

I hadn`t selected that option when I saved before.

I resaved them all and tested them on an NT machine here at work.. they loaded there.

Someone want to guineapig for me?

~Rachel

Post Thanks / Like
    Yupz ... picture is fine ... Nice RED car ... can`t wait to see the b4 and after

Post Thanks / Like
    Okay, we`ll try this again, then..

the befores:

(the rear)

(view of the side)

(another view of the side)

(the hood)

the afters (same order as the befores)

::crossing fingers::

Post Thanks / Like
    pictures loaded fine and look amazing... looks like a totally different car:xyxthumbs

Post Thanks / Like
    Good work. I assume you used a PC? I have found that claying is mostly fruitless on a surface that is that oxidized. Everything is so rough that you cannot find the problem areas. I have done a couple of red cars like that now, and what I will do for the next one is polish first, then wash again and clay. I have found that there is so much dust raised that it`s difficult to work with anyway. So you might want to try a light claying now, if it still needs it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by 2wheelsx2

Good work. I assume you used a PC? I have found that claying is mostly fruitless on a surface that is that oxidized. Everything is so rough that you cannot find the problem areas. I have done a couple of red cars like that now, and what I will do for the next one is polish first, then wash again and clay. I have found that there is so much dust raised that it`s difficult to work with anyway. So you might want to try a light claying now, if it still needs it.

Yep, combination of PC and SO who didn`t know any better. DACP was just.. amazing!

I agree about the claying, though the clay helped to get off some of the more stubborn tar and grime stuck to the paint.

The coat feels pretty smooth right now, but then again I`m used to feeling the oxidized paint. I`m planning on re-evaluating again this weekend when I`ve got some time when it`s light. I only put on a quick wax coat for some protection in the meantime.

I think the reflections off the car are scaring the birds that usually perch in the tree above where it`s parked... no bird there now. Even better, no droppings.

::knocking on wood::

~Rachel

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information