Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brake Dust

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello,

THis is my first post on this forum. I have searched and read at least 30 posts of solutions to get rid of brake dust.

I have clearcoated rims with some brake dust, not much since i have only had the rims for less than year.

I would like to know what non-abrasive solution I can use that will get rid of the brake dust as well as not harm the rim in any way?

I have heard of Meguairs Hot Rims and P21S.

I just want to know which solution works really effectively and is pH balanced close to water.

Thanks

gmax

Post Thanks / Like
    I don`t know what the PH level is or anything like that, but I`ve never met brake dust that A2Z and a wheel brush couldn`t handle.

Post Thanks / Like
    but is that safe and effective for clearcoated rims? I know using a brush is tricky on clearcoat bcuz what will end up happening is itppl put lines into my clearcoated rims. i just want something i can spray on and wash off or possibly spray on and scrub lightly and have it come off without knowing the rims will have clearcoat eaten away or have the rim be discolored.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Jngrbrdman

I don`t know what the PH level is or anything like that, but I`ve never met brake dust that A2Z and a wheel brush couldn`t handle.

I`ve heard A2Z (used to be?) Acid Based? I know a few VW members that have pink (as opposed to red) calipers from A2Z getting on them. Stuff like that scares me.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve been using p21s wheel cleaner (which is pH controlled - no acids or lyes), then I top it with Klasse SG to minimize brake dust and makes cleaning a snap.

Post Thanks / Like
    That may have been the case. I heard that too. The new orange formula is a lot better though. I don`t think its acid based anymore.

Post Thanks / Like
    the orange formula is alkaline. you can smell it and my ph testing strips say so too. i don`t know what the ph is because it was off the scale (5-10), so probably higher than 10.

Post Thanks / Like
    Klasse works well on rims. I have a huge problem with brake dust, the Klasse seemed to help...

a) keep the dust off, or in other terms, accumulate slower

b) make cleaning the dust that does stick easier to clean

my 2 cents...

Post Thanks / Like
    ghettomaximaz, did you download the book off this site ? They go into Ph in the wheel/tire section.

The new A2Z is "suppose" to be acid free (just double check the bottle). I remember reading the P21s is not as harsh.

I don`t use any. I`m still using my car wash soap and a boars hair brush.

If I do go get a wheel cleaner, it`ll probably be the P21s.

I hate the fact that acid based cleaners are made for the public. My friend got new rims for his Tbird, spent like $700 only to ruin them 3 or 4 months later with an acid based cleaner.

Post Thanks / Like
    I like Sonus Wheel Cleaner....not too harsh, pH balanced....use a soft brush or a cloth.

You can also wash and clay the tires, then AIO/SG them....makes removal of dust easier with just a wash with your favorite soap or a QD and MF towel. Good Luck!

Post Thanks / Like
    yeah, I just got some of the orange A2Z (several threads using "A2Z" in the search), but haven`t tried it out yet. The pH is way up there, like 13-14. I would definitely recommend spray on/ wash off like the directions say since there`s health warnings galore on the bottle.

I`m going to use it on the rotor area and inside of the rim only. Normal car soap and a bursh/sponge works for me on the tire outside of the rim.
    `04 Steel Gray Metallic Mazda 6s V6 5door, `97 Honda Accord SE

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by SK2003TypeS

I hate the fact that acid based cleaners are made for the public. My friend got new rims for his Tbird, spent like $700 only to ruin them 3 or 4 months later with an acid based cleaner.
    Like all products, they must be used properly, some with more care than others. I read a thread not long ago about how some BMW owners toasted their rims because they were mistakenly using a MAG WHEEL cleaner on them. This certainly wasn`t the fault of the product.....

Post Thanks / Like
    how about Meguairs Hot Rims, anybody use that? Ive heard its a mixed bag and want to know if it is safe and effective?

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    I did a side-by-side comparison of P21s (non-gel variety) and the new A2Z in a spray on - spray off shootout. A2Z won easily. This was on VW rims which turn black in a week. I posted the results in the review forum (maybe moved to the archive by now).

Neither removed all the dust so what is the best/safetest brush (or brush type) to use?

Post Thanks / Like
    Like all products, they must be used properly, some with more care than others. I read a thread not long ago about how some BMW owners toasted their rims because they were mistakenly using a MAG WHEEL cleaner on them. This certainly wasn`t the fault of the product.....

I agree, it`s not the fault of the product. It`s just that these acid based cleaners are readily available in autoparts stores around me. The majority of people who go there who pick these up are just looking to clean their rims, they shouldn`t have to be concerned with Ph balance, etc. I`m sure there are a ton of horror stories out there. BMW rims ?!?! Ouch !! So like I said, I wish it wasn`t available for the public......but feh, what can you do.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information