Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    I got a new car which is only few months old. I`ve clay with Mequiars` clay and polished with Autoglym Super Resin Polish. After that the paint surface felt smooth with bare fingers but i can feel some grittyness when using a plastic bag to test it. Please help or advise me if this is normal or do i have to use a separate paint cleaner (like Mequiars Medallion Premium Paint Cleaner). I really don`t know what is wrong since the car is new and i`ve already done the claying.

Post Thanks / Like
    First off, I don`t like the Meguiars clay, it wasn`t really effective the few times I had to use it.

If your feeling bumps on the paint it could be orange peel or the clay did not do it`s job. Do yourself ....... and your car a favor and find a Clay Magic kit, it doesn`t require as much effort or time.

The clay should make your car surface feel smooth, the polish will just remove swirl marks and so forth.

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree, try claying again or switch brands. Some contamination can be quite stubborn to remove. The other alternative is that you somehow have dirt embedded into the paint from the painting process. I don`t think anything short of wetsanding will get those out then...

"Paint cleaners/cleansers" are badly misnamed in my opinion - they used to cause me a lot of confusion pre-Autopia. Their job isn`t to clean dirt off like their name implies.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m just a normal enthusiast, so i don`t have the experience to deal with orange peel and wetsanding. I will try to switch clay brand first and see if it helps (i`m thinking of Zaino clay since i can`t get Clay Magic here). Thanks.

I`m also thinking of using Autoglym Paint Renovator as another option. However, it`s not for general polish since it contains aluminium oxide and may be too abrasive.

Post Thanks / Like
    The Autoglym Paint Renovator wont help you with this problem. Also consider 3M clay. Whereabouts in the world are you?

Steven

Post Thanks / Like
    Just updated my location.

Over here, we can get only 2 popular brands off-the-shelf - Autoglym and Meguiars (plus Zaino via mail order from Singapore)....sad....

Been touching other people new cars recently with a plastic bag in the parking lots. Most of them have a gritty feeling as well. So it`s either the paint job over here is sub standard or all of them have surface contaminations.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by myauto

Been touching other people new cars recently with a plastic bag in the parking lots. Most of them have a gritty feeling as well.

I can just see people staring and saying, "what in the HECK is that person doing to all those cars? He`s got a baggy over his hands!!!! Only here can you get an unstanding nod about this kind of behavior....

"officer i was just seeing if these cars needed to be clayed...HONEST!"

Post Thanks / Like

Just updated my location.

Over here, we can get only 2 popular brands off-the-shelf - Autoglym and Meguiars (plus Zaino via mail order from Singapore)....sad....

Been touching other people new cars recently with a plastic bag in the parking lots. Most of them have a gritty feeling as well. So it`s either the paint job over here is sub standard or all of them have surface contaminations.

Most cars would feel the same after a while unless they were garage queens. Try and get hold of some 3M clay. I am sure 3M sell stuff in almost every country.

BTW I am sure you can also buy P21S/S100 wax in your part of the world.

Steven

Post Thanks / Like
    If i get caught, they will be very happy to find out the true condition of their cars.

Can`t get S100/P21S here as well. Am thinking of ordering from carcareonline.com but shipping alone will cost almost as the product itself.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you would like, i can check out the shipping for you as well.

not sure if some of the stores charge more to ship it overseas then if i were to ship it to you?? just a thought.:nixweiss

Post Thanks / Like

Can`t get S100/P21S here as well. Am thinking of ordering from carcareonline.com but shipping alone will cost almost as the product itself.

Have a look at the HD site http://www.harley-davidson.com/en/ho...bmLocale=en_XX From memory I dont think they had sold it in your country but you might be able to buy somewhere more local than the USA.

Steven

Post Thanks / Like
    flyby, thanks for your offer to help. I`ve checked with carcareonline.com and their shipping cost is pretty standard. I am looking at shipping via USPS Airmail Parcel Post.

lowejackson, buying from HD will be difficult as their representation in this part of the world is mainly on motorcycles and not much on accessories.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey myauto,

Autoglym also has a clay product, which might be worth trying to locate. In my part of the world (not too far from yours) it is only available at the main Autoglym distributors. The product is sold as a bodyshop product (fallout remover) which as you know was the original function of these clay products. BTW, I have not used the Autoglym product myself, but might try it when my supply of Pinnacle Poly Clay runs out

~Footy

My lawyers have advised me to say nothing until the results of the blood test come through...

Post Thanks / Like
    Footy, we can`t get the AG bodyshop line of product over here. Thanks for the info anyway.

Post Thanks / Like
    Have a look at http://www.autoglym.com.sg/product.htm they are selling some of the pro range. If they dont have the product you want I am sure they can order it.

Or for 3M try http://www.3m.com/intl/my/

Steven

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information