Post Thanks / Like
    Hi guys!

Well I have a few more newbie questions on cleaning the exterior of my car.

I have a white 95 325i that I just bought and today as I was cleaning the exterior with Meguiars Gold car wash stuff, I noticed there was a lot of small pieces of tar, and other little scrapes and other marks that I just couldn`t get off with the soap.

My question is, what kind of products (or maybe even clay??) should I use to get rid of these marks and tar spots?

Also, for cleaning tires, what would be a good one to look at for a newbie? Would that Meguiars stuff be a good bet for now?

Thanks in advance

Post Thanks / Like
    I would use bug and tar remover (or WD-40) on large tar stains. The remaining specs sounds like a job for clay. After this, you car should be pretty clean. I would go over it with a mild cleaner / polish like pinnacle paint cleansing lotion, wash, and then wax.

For tires, most foaming tire cleaners work well. I use EF High Intensity full strength on tires about 4 times a year, and then use a water based dressing after each 1-2 washes.

Congrats on your purchase, and good luck!

Post Thanks / Like
    What kind of clay should I get? Also where can I find clay? Like at say autozone or something?

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    At your local autozone, they probably only have Mothers Clay Bar System. It will do you just fine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Autozone were doing the clay magic kit here for $10.

You dont say if your doing it by hand or with a machine polisher.

If theres scratches etc, a paint cleaner wont do much.

Depending on scratches (and i bet it has some mild oxidation if its a `95) I would go with something like DACP or maybe SMR, followed by a sealant/ glaze and wax.

Claying after the wash is vital tho!

Youll be amazed at the difference.

Post Thanks / Like
    The Clay Magic bar took care of a lot of those little black tar dots I had that had built up over years. No pressure, just kept going over it repeatedly, seemed to work like a pencil eraser. For the hard stuff, 3M Adhesive Tar & Wax Remover. THIS IS THE STUFF! I used this on a big glob of sap that I found on my car the size of a quarter (lots of pines here). I mean a standing tall glob of the stuff. Hard. On the hood. Used this, soak, wipe, use it, wipe, use it, wipe and it was GONE. On sap that was still tacky to touch on another spot, it took care of it in one soaking spray where another gel style remover did absolutely nothing. I will always have this stuff now. I`m sure this stuff would have no problem with tar. Very much like WD40, but seems to be more effective than times I`ve used WD40 on sap.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by DETAILKING

I would go over it with a mild cleaner / polish like pinnacle paint cleansing lotion, wash, and then wax.

Hey I didn`t know I have to wash after polishing! Is that absolutely neccesary?

Post Thanks / Like
    Not really ... in fact i would rather leave the paint dry after polishing so you dont get left-over drops of water interfering with the glaze/sealant or wax.

This and any water spots you miss might not be removed by the glaze and CERTAINLY wont be removed by the wax.

Why mess around with a nice perfectly clean surface ?

Just my way of doing things but time is money.......

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the help guys. Looks like I`ll probably pick up a bottle of that 3M Tar and Bug remover and also a clay bar.

Hopefully this will get that crap off so I can finally wax my car

P.S. : Is the Stoners Tarminator better or same as the 3M stuff?

Thread Information