Post Thanks / Like
    There is a spot about a foot in diameter where clearcoat is peeling off. It is gone except around the edges of where it is peeling. Is there any way to fix this without a respray? I was thinking just use compound or something on the edge of the clearcoat to make the line between clearcoat/paint invisible and just keep a good coat of was on it. Would this work? Or maybe get a spray can of clearcoat and use fine cut cleaner to make it smooth and even? I really don`t know, my main concern is that it looks bad, the paint is taken care of with wax and the paint where the clearcoat has already peeled off is fine. Any suggestions?

Post Thanks / Like
    Compounding will only advance the problem. The best advice is to take it back to the dealer and if it is still under warranty then it can be written off as a factory defect and re-sprayed.

If it is past the warranty part then the best fix is a re-spray OR clean her up real good and trade it in.

Anthony
    "The Art & Science of Auto Detail"

Patrick
    How old is the car ? If you still want your car, consider taking it to a reputable body shop and see if they cant wet sand the area in question and re-seal it....Im assuming its on the roof or deck ? What color ? Black, red, ?? Manufacturer ?

Post Thanks / Like
    It`s a 92 240sx, dark green metallic. The spot is on the front bumper, I do want to keep it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here are a couple pics in different lighting.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ll bet its already been resprayed once before already and the job wasnt done right.

Best way to tell is pull back a window rubber and look for a paint ridge.

Most bodyshops never strip the widows down to paint the doors, so its always a tell-tale.

Check a few places tho, as you can guarantee the window you check is the new one they stripped to colour change and fit.

Post Thanks / Like
    man, that sucks. Also my hood is not quite a shiny as the rest of the car, I always suspected something. If I wax/polish everything than the car looks great, but the hood looks a little foggy if you know what I mean. It has a clean title at least...

I`ll go check the window thing, what am I looking for, different colored paint?

Post Thanks / Like
    You are just looking for an "edge" in the paint where the masking tape was covering the window and the trim.
    2003 Mazda Protege ES 2.0
    Sunlight Silver Metallic
    very dirty

Thread Information