Post Thanks / Like
    Hi there,

I have a newbie question that I tried to find the answer without success.

When washing a car, I know for sure that a circular scrubbing motion is bad. I know that to wash the hood one uses a back to front motion, same for the roof and trunk.

How about the sides of the car? Up or down motion or side to side motion? Is it the same? Which technique is better? I guess what I am asking is if vertical scratch marks on the sides of the car more noticable than horizontal scratch marks? If so, then the best motion is side to side motion?

Thanks for your responses!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey there, bro!

Well, I dunno about you, but I don`t wanna be "scrubbing" my car, much less so doing it in a circular motion. Personally, I have been using the two-bucket method (one with wash solution, one w/ water to rinse the mitt/sponge with) on my `Vette with good results, although I`ve only had one chance to do it... less than 300 miles on the odo :p But what I always do is this: With a 100% cotton mitt, I wash in back and forth - that is, in the direction of airflow - motions, lightly. No pressure if you can at all avoid it.

However, it`s my impression from the board here that some people do that, and others go top to bottom (from windows to wheels sort of thing) on the sides of the car. As far as THAT goes, I`m not completely sure.

Someone?

Post Thanks / Like
    There are probably as many ways to wash a car as there are members of this forum! Here’s my way:

Two bucket method using about half as much car shampoo as the bottle recommends. A grill on the bottoms of the buckets will keep a dropped mitt/cloth out of any settled debris. You can easily make a bottom grill from a section cut from a fluorescent light egg-crate grill. Dump and replace the rinse water if it gets dirty.

After trying several types of wash mitts I’m back to using a towel, but now it’s a 16â€x16†MF towel folded twice into a four layer 8â€x8†pad. Flip over after one pass, then rinse, reload, and refold. On horizontal surfaces I use no pressure, only the weight of the wet towel with fore and aft wipes. On vertical surface I use only enough pressure to maintain contact with the paint and go from the top down. If you do get any micro-marring on the sides, vertical marks are less noticeable. I usually use 3-5 towels during each wash! Clean tools and light pressure equal fewer scratches!

While washing I occasionally spray the entire car (especially during hot, dry weather) to prevent water spotting. After washing I flood the surface (not spray) and it helps sheet the water off of the car making drying easier.

For drying you can’t beat the new waffle weave MF towels. For the most part I dry only by blotting, not wiping. After drying most of the surface I open the hood, rear deck, and doors - put my little shop vac (2.5 hp) on blow and blow the water out of the hard to reach areas - seams, grill, side view mirrors, etc. Then a smaller WWMF to do any needed touch up drying.

I seldom do my wheel wells and wheels at the same time that I do the car body. Be sure not to use the same cleaning tools on the body that you use on the wheels! Brake dust is very hard and causes paint scratches! If you use MF towels, then mark your wheel towels with a Sharpie pen.

Washing, drying, polishing, applying, and buffing do not cause marring - people cause marring!
    <B>OCD</B> sufferer and charter member of the
    <B>A</B>nal <B>R</B>etentive <B>Z</B>3 <B>O</B>wners <B>A</B>ssociation

Post Thanks / Like
    Two bucket method is made much easier if you go buy a Rubbermaid `Brute` twin bucket from Lowes.

2 1/2 gallon either side!

Bit heavy when its full, but you can do a whole vehicle without having to go refill.

Works great for me

Thread Information