Thread: Dust!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey everyone, I have a black car, and after a hard days work of detailing my car, the next day it is covered with nasty dust. I have a California duster, which seems to work on light dust, but it seems to put minor swirls in the paint. The Zaino guy recommends using Z6 on the dust, but I would think that that would just grind the dust into the paint.

Does anyone have any tips?

Thanks,

Adam
    2006 Limited V6 RAV4

Post Thanks / Like
    All cars attract dust. Black just shows it worse. There really isn`t a way to avoid it. Depending on what products you use there are ways to lessen the dust attraction though. Products with more oils are going to make your car attract dust faster than others. I always top off whatever I`m using with P21S because it seems to help with the dust attraction. I had to coat Blackfire with 2 or 3 coats of carnauba to stop the dust problem there. I think some chemicals just have some kind of static in em or something.

The CCD will swirl your paint if you aren`t using it properly. You have to go slow and careful with that thing. I`d rather just wash the car than risk swirling it with the CCD again like I did before. Its only good on light dust. If its a humid area and the car has been dusty for a few days then you need to wash it. Using a QD or a CCD is just going to increase the chances of swriling the paint. You just gotta be careful when getting the dust off a car in ways other than just washing it.

Post Thanks / Like
    My black car shows dust within a matter of minutes after washing, drying and QD`ing!

Cal-Dusters have a Dust-Attracting-Wax in the fibers of the duster. The swirls you see could be the residue of that wax.

As your duster gets old you will see less of that.

The cure is to QD after you dust.

Then the dust will come back and you start over again.
    Bill Luster

`00 Trans Am / `82 Vette

Click here for:Bill`s Pictures

Post Thanks / Like
    My swirls were definitely in the paint and they were caused because I was stupid with the CCD. I won`t blame the CCD because that would be like blaming bullets for being too dangerous. I was the one using the duster so I`ll take the blame for it. It will be a cold day in hell before I use one again. I`m pretty anti CCD because I feel stupid for what I did to my car with it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah I bet it could seriously mess up a clearcoat. To reduce dust buildup after using the CCD Sal Zaino told me to mist the car with Z6 because that is anti-staitic. Havn`t tried it yet though, hopefully this weekend I can give Z6 a shot.
    2006 Limited V6 RAV4

Post Thanks / Like
    I used to in favor of the CCD, but not any more-maybe I wasn`t using it properly, but it always seemed to leave micro swirls.

Now for dust I just give the car a QEW.
    2005 Porsche 997 Carrera S. Mods: ECU, Plenum, Custom Exhaust, Turbo Wheels.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Jngrbrdman

My swirls were definitely in the paint and they were caused because I was stupid with the CCD. I won`t blame the CCD because that would be like blaming bullets for being too dangerous. I was the one using the duster so I`ll take the blame for it. It will be a cold day in hell before I use one again. I`m pretty anti CCD because I feel stupid for what I did to my car with it.
    Guess what post I dug up Anthony!
    Originally posted by Jngrbrdman

I must have been misusing my CCD. It swirled the hell out of my car. Everytime I think about giving it another shot I just think back to all those swirls... I did the only thing I could with my CCD:

Maybe I`ll give it another shot sometime. Fortunately my car is white so the dust doesn`t really show up on it. I sure did a number on my green car with it though.
    :lol :lol

Post Thanks / Like
    IMO, the Z6 doesn`t reduce dust attraction very much. My car is a dust magnet, with or without Z6. I can let the car sit outside for a minute and it`ll be covered in dust. Luckily my car is silver, so I can use the CCD without worrying too much about swirls.

Post Thanks / Like
    :lol @ Brian! I forgot about that one! lol That`s a good memory you`ve got there. I think my stand on the CCD is about the only opinion that hasn`t been changed since joining Autopia. I still think the risk isn`t worth the benifet where the CCD is concerned.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m a little concerned about your obsession with fire.

:nono
    Be Nice

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by bunker

I`m a little concerned about your obsession with fire.

:nono
    Hey, I wasn`t the one who torched anything, and that burning altezza pic isn`t even mine! Fire just looks purrrrdy.

Post Thanks / Like
    LOL you all crack me up
    DEDICATED TO THE PURPOSE BEYOND REASON... Oakley ..

Bill 97 Camaro SS #1422

Post Thanks / Like
    Has anyone ever used a Buffalo Tail duster from Buffalo Milke? Looks like it would be a good duster.

James

Post Thanks / Like
    As an owner of a car that produces enough brake dust to cover the entire wheels with its brown/black powder within a week`s worth of driving, I need a way to quickly and effectively clean my wheels. (You see, BMW really stands for Brake dust, More Wheel cleaning...) For the job, I use a combination of the Griot`s Garage Wheel Cleaner, Griot`s Garage Boar`s Hair brush, and the Griot`s Garage 3-finger detail foam mitt. I have clear-coated alloy wheels, and this product is safe for use on almost all alloy wheels.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have had good luck reducing initial dust build up by finishing off with FK425, which has anti-static properties.

Thread Information