Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    What would you guys use if you ran out of 3M SMR? I have Meguiars Swirl Remover 2.0, Klasse All In One, Plaitnum paint cleaner and a compund so I don`t need anything stronger or weaker than 3M SMR, I just need another product with the same or better results. What is as strong as 3M SMR yet works the same or better?

Post Thanks / Like
    I don`t know if it is as strong as 3Ms SMR, but Meguiars Swirl Free Polish is great stuff. Meguiars rates it a 3 on a 1-10 scale in aggressiveness.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    I have looked into this a lot, and from what it seems they are all about the same abrasive level (they all essentially do the same thing).

If you like 3M SMR, then stick with it. I am tempted to try some Swirl Free Polish because Scott raves about it, but I don`t need any more at the moment.

Meguiars rates their Swirl Removers as a 3/10, 3M SMR is a 25 cut... how those two stack up, I don`t know.

Post Thanks / Like
    I use the Meguiars product Scott is talking about. I don`t think it is as strong as 3M SMR and it will never ever create any type of "hazing" effect.

It`s a permanet part of my detailing setup :up

I was trying to find something strong than 3M SMR but not a compound.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by joed1228

I use the Meguiars product Scott is talking about. I don`t think it is as strong as 3M SMR and it will never ever create any type of "hazing" effect.

I never had any hazing issues with SMR unless used with an improper pad (cutting pad instead of polishing pad).

In terms of 3M, the next step up is the FI-II.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by adg44

I never had any hazing issues with SMR unless used with an improper pad (cutting pad instead of polishing pad).

In terms of 3M, the next step up is the FI-II.

So FI-II it shall be unless I hear about something else.

I can create hazing with SMR if the product isn`t broken down enough.

Post Thanks / Like
    I just used FI-II on the hood of my Infiniti (it had been repainted because of a front end accident) and they didn`t do a very good job, although it`s white so you can`t really tell. I used a PC and a cutting pad and in about 10 minutes the hood looked amazing. I didn`t have any SMR for light colored cars, so I just applied the wax after this and it looks pretty impressive. There are some marks from the cutting pad left, but it removed 90% of the swirls. The surface was also very rough and it evened it out perfectly.

I need to do this to the rest of the car (but follow up with SMR) because the hood is a lot brighter than the rest of the car. :p

The reason I picked this up over DACP is because from what I have read on here the DACP is stronger. If anyone can confirm that, that would be great. :up

Post Thanks / Like
    i feel that the fi-II is closer to dacp in strenght but more diffuclt to remove. i would say that swirl free and smr are very simailar with the swirl free being easier to remove it breaks down faster and has less oils in it. i have stoped using smr completley now that i have swirl free

Post Thanks / Like
    I`d recommend you give 3M`s Perfect-It III Machine Glaze (called a glaze but really a polish) a try. I have been using it for the better part of a year with the PC and CMA yellow pad with some amazing results. From what I have gathered, it is right in between FI-II and SMR in terms of abrasiveness. There are no oils or fillers either, so it actually removes swirls and scratches as opposed to just filling them in. I usually follow-up with P21S GEPC with the CMA white pad. Stunning results.

Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Malibu

I`d recommend you give 3M`s Perfect-It III Machine Glaze (called a glaze but really a polish) a try. I have been using it for the better part of a year with the PC and CMA yellow pad with some amazing results. From what I have gathered, it is right in between FI-II and SMR in terms of abrasiveness. There are no oils or fillers either, so it actually removes swirls and scratches as opposed to just filling them in. I usually follow-up with P21S GEPC with the CMA white pad. Stunning results.

Mike

You have any more info on the PI-III Machine Glaze? I was looking for this, but couldn`t find anything.

I will follow up with 3M tomorrow (maybe call them) because I have a hard time believing FI-II and SMR have the same cut (abrasiveness), which is what they told us.

- Anthony

Post Thanks / Like
    Check out this thread.

And this one.

And this one.

Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Malibu

Check out this thread.

And this one.

And this one.

Mike

:up :up

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey guys, thanks alot, looks like I can add another 3M product to my collection. I thought the "III" in the title of the product meant it was a heavy compound. I just watched a free 3M movie too and I guess I wasn`t paying attention when they were using the PI-III Machine Glaze.

Like Nyrep1 has said, I am almost never using the 3M SMR. The Meguiars seems to work faster. 3M SMR is a wonderful product and I still use it from time to time but the Meguiars product is getting more rotary time.

CCH Auto Appearance, LLC C. Charles Hahn's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    how does DACP compare to SMR, is it a bit stronger (more like an FI2?) I have both 3M products right now but I`d love to switch to the Meg`s if it works better :bounce

Post Thanks / Like
    IMO any polish which contains an abrasive will leave some hazing. Whether or not you see it depends on the color of the paint and the lighting. With my Jet Black paint and a halogen obsession light the hazing left my SMR is very apparent. Even GEPC with a much finer abrasive than SMR leaves some hazing that can be seen on close inspection. With GEPC (or similar products) it even more apparent after a non-carnauba QD wipe down since the QD removes some or all of the oils that are hiding the cleanser’s hazing. A topping of a non-abrasive glaze (such as IHG) is the only way that I know of to completely hide the hazing.

I’ve done a lot of experimenting (playing) with different applicators and different pressures, and with any given applicator the results are the same. For me a microfiber applicator or folded MF cloth along with only light to moderate pressure introduces the least marring. Instead of more pressure or a more aggressive applicator, rub for a longer period of time.
    <B>OCD</B> sufferer and charter member of the
    <B>A</B>nal <B>R</B>etentive <B>Z</B>3 <B>O</B>wners <B>A</B>ssociation

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information