Thread: Stepping it up

Post Thanks / Like
    My name is Andrew and I`m the proud owner of a 2001 BMW 330ci. I try to take very good care of my vehicle, but I`m thinking of taking my involvement to a whole new level. Currently, I use P21S wheel cleaner, P21S Drying Towel, Meguiars Soft Wash Gel, and then the 3-Step consumer level cleaning/polishing/waxing system from Meguiars as well. I was wondering if someone could recommend some better products for me to use. I`m looking to spend between $10-20 per bottle. If spending more will ensure significantly better results, I would be interested in pursuing those options as well. Furthermore, I`d appreciate it if someone could recommend a product I could use for polishing the tips of my exhaust sytem. I would greatly appreciate any help you could provide.

Thanks,

AF

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to Autopia :wavey

I can`t tell from your profile where you`re are to be better able to identify what products for you to purchase. But I`ll take a shot and say pick up Shine Enhancing Cleanser and S100 paste wax from Harley Davidson Dealership near you. You will like the way it it shows off. I haven`t used the Meguiars 3-step so I can`t comment on it. Ease of application and removal or durability. But I have used the P21s/S100 products and they will impress you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to Autopia Andrew - if you want to take car care to an all new level you definitely came to the right place! :xyxthumbs

Pecs McCoy`s suggestion of the P21S/S100 products is great, but keep in mind that surface preparation is really important too. Are you claying your car occasionally? If not, that alone will make your detailing sessions feel more satisfying. Also if your paint has a few too many swirls, reducing or eliminating those can make a big difference too. I highly recommend the Autopia eBook as a primer to get the ball rolling (1st 8 chapters are free), and don`t forget the huge wealth of old wisdom available through the search engine.

Post Thanks / Like
    I thank you very much for your tips; they are much appreciated.

First of all, I live in New Jersey.

Secondly, is there any website where I could order these products online?

Thirdly, can someone recommend a good clay bar to use? How difficult is it to use such a product?

Thanks,

AF

Post Thanks / Like
    Online resources:

http://www.properautocare.com

http://www.topoftheline.com

http://www.premiumautocare.com

At your local auto parts store you may find "Clay Magic", it comes with its own lube, but mixture of car shampoo and water can also be used. Real easy to use, spritz some lube on a panel, lay the clay bar on the lubed panel make a few linear (forward and aft) movements of the clay (no circles). You should feel a smoothness of the clay over the surface, it will seem to catch and as more contaminants are removed the smoothness will be apparent. Remember to stretch/pull/fold the clay to expose a new clean surface.

Post Thanks / Like
    Not to push Griot`s everywhere I post...but they have a polishing kit for tail pipes and whatnot.

http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog....1002&SKU=10223

Have not used it though. When I get around to replacing the exhaust on my car I will certainly be using it.

Thread Information