Thread: 5 Star Shine

Post Thanks / Like
    Recently stumbled accross this product www.5starshine.com Anyone heard of them or tried it? 5 years worth of protection. They claim the Military uses it for salt air/water protection. Website`s interesting.

Post Thanks / Like
    I did some research on it a while back, and found several other websites sell something identical. The website`s were nearly identical, but they denied knowing each other (toughguard.com).

Also, they want people to sign up and get referall commissions on each one sold ($49 ea.) referall was something like $15. Almost network marketing like. A guy on the Honda Odyssey board bought some and liked it, but said the bottles ($49 kit) were only good for 1 or 2 vehicles and were applied much like Zaino (strip, mix, apply, etc.). Plus he hasn`t had it long term, so if it was just a sealant the effects would still be working and it would be too early to tell if it was going to last 5 years.

This is the company that owns the patent:

PPS Patent

They have been selling on ebay for a while. And when reading his site he tries to sell other things (3000 mile myth book, Website hosting or something). The website was Pop up hell BTW.

Here is the US Patent:

Patent

Personally I am VERY skeptical and besides scratches will happen over the course of 5 years and it won`t protect against that!

The absolute BEST is the Half way down the page is a 1985 Cougar that they claim has used 5 star shine for 17 years (applied when new). If you read the patent link it didn`t happen until 1992. It may have taken 7 years to patent, but the inventor sold his idea to the company above which had to have been after 1992 I would guess. So was the sealant formula using this technology long before it was patented or what?:nixweiss :nixweiss :nixweiss

Everything just seems shady to me.
    David

2008 MINI Clubman S

2013 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring

Post Thanks / Like
    dr427, thanks for the review. I figured it was bogus, but, since I hadn`t heard of 5 Star, I thought I`d share what I`d found.

Thread Information