Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    I just ordered some APC+ and Engine Kote. Interestingly enough, I`ve had my `Bring for about a year and a half, and the engine has only been properly cleaned... maybe once. And that wasn`t even by me. Hence, that part of my order.

You know that insulation-looking thing on the underside of your hood? The big, black "pad?" (I understand this to be a fire blanket; in case of engine fire, plastic clips melt and this thing falls over the engine to smother it... true?) I was just wondering if you guys use APC and EK on that as well as the engine. Also, do you use the two on underhood painted surfaces?

I know that more people like the "Meg`s twins" here than not... anybody care to share some experiences with them?

Ty, ladies and gentlemen. (Or gentlepeople, like my calculus teacher says. :xyxthumbs )

Strange name, ain't it? NattyBumppo's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    For the Engine Kote, make sure you get a very good sprayer.....one that can really mist the product. If the spray head can`t finely mist the EK, or if it leaks out large drops with each pull of the trigger, you`ll end up with these large blobs of hardened EK all over the engine, hoses, etc. Or, at the very least, you`ll have to wipe everything after spraying which the EK is designed to eliminate.

Aurora has had good results with the Meg`s Engine Kote bottle and sprayer. I believe they make a bottle/sprayer combo just for EK. Don`t bother with the Zep sprayers from Home Depot...not with EK.

With a good sprayer, EK leaves a nice satin gloss, almost matte finish. It`s actually like a hardened film that lasts a good long time.
    Natty
    ------------------------------------------------
    "Sorry Miss, I just decided I don`t do mini-vans"

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, I remember reading Aurora`s comments.

Actually, I ordered the 32 oz. bottles from CMA - the ones w/ the dilution scales printed on them - for both APC+ and EK. That`ll probably be fine, right?

Strange name, ain't it? NattyBumppo's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Polaris

Yeah, I remember reading Aurora`s comments.

Actually, I ordered the 32 oz. bottles from CMA - the ones w/ the dilution scales printed on them - for both APC+ and EK. That`ll probably be fine, right?

Since I`ve never used the spray bottles from CMA I can`t really comment. CMA sells quality stuff so I`d be surprised if they didn`t do a good job. Either way, you`ll know within the first few pulls of the trigger with the EK.

Good luck, make sure you tell us how it all goes.
    Natty
    ------------------------------------------------
    "Sorry Miss, I just decided I don`t do mini-vans"

Post Thanks / Like
    The hood lining insulating pad?? Ah... it is for noise control and is usually listed on the vehicle`s option list. I would not do anything to it except clean it. I could be wrong, but that is all I would do IMHO.

Post Thanks / Like
    That`s for noise reduction? Hmm, didn`t know that. I`ve heard (a) insulation and (b) as a sort of fire blanket. Well, I guess we`ll see how it goes, huh?

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, I really like the Meg`s sprayers, and they are cheaper than the Lowes and HD ones. But not everyone can get them locally. Don`t spray the blanket as I can`t see anything good happening.

If your sprayer isn`t very good, try diluting the EK with water. 1:1. Then you can spray more liberally. Even with pools of it, it won`t dry that way. But it will dry streaky if there isn`t total coverage. If you have a crappy sprayer, full coverage is hard, so water helps and just soak it down. Drips won`t show when they dry if you have solid coverage. At least that`s been my experience. Also, spray out the nozzle when you are done, or expect to have to run it under water a bit before the next use.

EK is also good on wheelwells, and actually looks pretty clean and natural on tires, though it isn`t my first choice. You can also easily use it on wheels (it really shines) if you just want to be able to spray the wheels or tires down and walk away. But there are better alternatives for this. Enjoy!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you, sir, I will. Still a little anxious about PC use, but I`ll try.

So, it seems that between next Monday and Tuesday (beginning of Spring Break for me), I`ll be getting APC+, EK, two of CMA`s bottles, 3 white pads, 1 yellow pad, 1 grey pad, A 7424, and a few of the stock pads. And the velcro plate that comes from Coastal Tool.

I just hope that the other... er, social... part of SB goes as well. :nixweiss

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by NattyBumppo

For the Engine Kote, make sure you get a very good sprayer.....one that can really mist the product. If the spray head can`t finely mist the EK, or if it leaks out large drops with each pull of the trigger, you`ll end up with these large blobs of hardened EK all over the engine, hoses, etc. Or, at the very least, you`ll have to wipe everything after spraying which the EK is designed to eliminate.

Aurora has had good results with the Meg`s Engine Kote bottle and sprayer. I believe they make a bottle/sprayer combo just for EK. Don`t bother with the Zep sprayers from Home Depot...not with EK.

With a good sprayer, EK leaves a nice satin gloss, almost matte finish. It`s actually like a hardened film that lasts a good long time.

Just curious, will Engine Kote dry as a solid layer like a clearcoat for the engine bay (meaning it may eventually crack - much like the similar product of Griot`s) or does it just dry like a light film (for lack of a better term), similar to spraying something like Stoner`s Trim Shine?

Post Thanks / Like
    I just bought APC + and Engine Kote also.

The APC+ can use for cleaning several areas.

What is the right portion to dilute the APC+?

1. For cleaning engine.

2. for cleaning the bug that die and stick on the front and the glass.

3. for cleaning interior.

Now I diluted 1:10 for cleaning the bug.

I didn`t use APC for engine cleaning yet but I use Super Degreezer form MG that I dilute 2:10 that works pretty well also. Most of the engines in Bangkok are quite dirty because of the dust in the citi.

I spray EK on the spong first then apply on the engine. That is ok for me now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Varong, I belive the dilution ratio is on the label, but nevertheless, engine is supposed to be 4:1 (water:APC+), Carpet 6:1, Interior 12:1, Dewax 64:1 Correct me if I`m wrong guys... Super degreaser works better than APC+ in terms of engine.

Have you guys used EK using a fertilizer mister? I`ve tried that and it works fine... (no pun intended)... The mist is very even and you can spray the creases well.

As for the hoodliner, it does nothing to smother flames, the fabric itself is quite flammable actually since it absorbs whatever oil or grease that may splatter through.. it pretty much is a noise insulator...

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by jduarte

Just curious, will Engine Kote dry as a solid layer like a clearcoat for the engine bay (meaning it may eventually crack - much like the similar product of Griot`s) or does it just dry like a light film (for lack of a better term), similar to spraying something like Stoner`s Trim Shine?

It is somewhere in between. It dries to a hard finish, but it isn`t that thick. It won`t crack, just wear away. I`ve used it on flexible plastics and such and it bends along with them once dry.

Theveed, you are right. Super Degreaser would be better if you only wanted to clean engines with it. But it wouldn`t be very helpful on interiors or carpets. But APC+ does do a good job on engine grease. You may need to agitate it a bit, though, on tough areas.

As far as smothering flames, you`d think the hood itself would be as likely to do that as a blanket. So I`d doubt that blanket really does too much. But I have no idea...

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Aurora40

Theveed, you are right. Super Degreaser would be better if you only wanted to clean engines with it. But it wouldn`t be very helpful on interiors or carpets. But APC+ does do a good job on engine grease. You may need to agitate it a bit, though, on tough areas.

True... I`m currently still using APC+ but in most cases in Manila (just like Varong, in Bangkok), the engines are extremely dirty... I remember when I bought a junk Cherokee back in the US, it was a 84 model (bought it 97) and pretty much a oil guzzler, the engine was still cleaner than most cars I see here today hehe...

APC+ is great stuff... no doubt... One of the most versatile product I`ve ever used...

Post Thanks / Like
    The hood liner is definitely sound deadener (insulation) and nothing more.

As a matter of fact, police and taxi vehicles never have the insualator. That is anotherway the manufacturers save a few dollars on these vehicles. If the blanket was a fire supressant then they would surely be on these police/taxi as they are running all the time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just curious . . . has anyone ever used APC+ as a wheel cleaner? I only ask because EF-HI bills itself as an all-purpose cleaner as well, and it certainly does the job on wheels; I was hoping APC+ might do so as well. Unfortunately, there`s no suggested dilution ration on the side of the APC+ for that purpose.

Tort

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information