Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    At a store just two miles from my house (Thanks Aurora40!). They have the whole commercial 3M and Megs lines, so it`s really helpful. I bought 32 ounces of this Finishing Glaze for just 18 bucks - not bad.

Now, can I use this on fresh paint? I assume so since it has no wax or silicones. Also, I assume I want to use a finishing pad to apply it with a PC?

They also had the 3M SMR for light and dark colors, Meg #9 2.0, and Megs Swirl Free Polish. If anyone can tell me the difference between these, I would be pretty happy. Why does meguiars offer two products that do the exact same thing, and the exact same abrasive level (according to the chart on the bottle).

Instead of DACP which they also had, I bought a consumer profeesional line of 3M Machine Polish. I assume these two are relatively the same abrasiveness, if the 3M isn`t slightly gentler.

- Anthony

Post Thanks / Like
    Glad I could help. I was just there today getting some Final Detail. They carry a lot of stuff, but it`s always all covered in dust... They have these two ancient 1/2 gallon jugs of Mirror Glaze Wheel Brite and Mirror Glaze All Purpose Cleaner that look like they are from the `70s.

I don`t know much about the 3M line, but I thought the Finesse-It was more abrasive than Perfect-It? If it is just a glaze, it should be fine on new paint. If it`s new paint, maybe you want to just hand apply to be on the safe side? :nixweiss

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m pretty sure this is a non abrasive glaze, very similar to the IHG.

I need to do a swirl removal anyways thanks to the body shop on the section they painted. Also, it has been almost a month now since it was painted.

I concur with you about the dust.... sheesh!

Post Thanks / Like
    Nevermind..

Just read, it`s Perfect It III.

Also, looked closer and it does contain carnuaba wax, so I`ll be taking it back later this week.

I`ll try the pure Mothers Glaze, everyone is raving about it.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have heard some pretty good things about the PI-III Finishing Glaze. Are you sure you want to take it back??

http://products3.3m.com/catalog/us/e...er/output_html

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by 2hotford

I have heard some pretty good things about the PI-III Finishing Glaze. Are you sure you want to take it back??

http://products3.3m.com/catalog/us/e...er/output_html

It does look pretty interesting, but it seems to be the same thing as IHG, but this one has some wax in it for longer durability.

There are TOO MANY products to choose from!!

Post Thanks / Like
    If you are trying to get rid of swirls, PI-III Machine Glaze is an excellent product. But, it does need a machine to apply it. It would take forever to break down by hand! And, I mean FOREVER!!!

I think that the PI-III is a step up from their consumer line. I would use it if you can!!:up

Post Thanks / Like
    Is there any reason you want 3M? You could get BSP Hand Polish for a few bucks cheaper, or try New Car Glaze or #7.

P.S. What is 3M`s consumer line?

Post Thanks / Like
    The Perfect It series is more for body shops and professional detailers( and used with a rotary buffer unless specified otherwise). The consumer 3M products like SMR is designed for either hand or machine application.

I do really like the Meguiar`s Body Shop series especially the DACP #83. However, I am currently experimenting with the 3M PI-III as it is more geared for the rotary buffer and it has less or no fillers.

Post Thanks / Like

If you are trying to get rid of swirls, PI-III Machine Glaze is an excellent product. But, it does need a machine to apply it. It would take forever to break down by hand! And, I mean FOREVER!!!

I think that the PI-III is a step up from their consumer line. I would use it if you can!!:up

I bought 3M Finesse-It II Machine Polish Finish Restorer, is this comperable to Meguiars DACP in regards to abrasiveness?

I either wanted to use all 3M products or all Meguiars products. It probably doesn`t make a difference, but if I am detailing a car I want to use all of the same brand of products on it. I was also told that the 3M swirl removers have more fillers in them than the Meguiars ones, and I love the shine and wet look it leaves after using 3M SMR, so I haven`t thought to try another product. Why is the Meguiars Swirl Free Polish better?

3M has basically two different lines, although they are the exact same product. The 39xxx product numbers are basically their "consumer" line, whereas 05xxx is their "body shop" line. Basically you get 32 ounces of a product instead of 16 ounces like the consumer line. Or atleast that`s how I understand it....

I guess my $100 question is if FI II Machine Polish is the same abrasive level as DACP. I wish 3M would start labeling the abrasive level of their products. I ask this because looking at the directions of the Machine Polish, it says to use with a wool pad, which would make me assume it is very abrasive.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am not totally sure what you are asking.

Is there a difference between the larger bottles and the smaller ones? Yes and no. Certain 3M products in the Finesse It/Perfect It line does have both large and small bottles such at Finesse-It II Finishing Material/Compound # 05928. But as far as I know(I am not 100% certain), the Perfect-It III products are only available in the larger bottles. Moreover, most of the Perfect-It III products are only available in body shop supply stores and not the general auto parts places.

Again, I also really like the Meguiar`s products. Overall, I would have to say, they are my first choice . I have only recently turned to 3M on the advice of a few Autopians that are professional detailers. These products are more designed for the rotary buffer. However, as I also said before, 3M`s PI-III Machine Glaze #05937 contains NO fillers. Hence why I am intereted in the product.

I have found that FI-II is similar to DACP. PI-III IMHO is between DACP and #9. (3M SMR has a lot of oils in it which is what I am NOT after.)

If you use Megs: # 83 then #82 then #20 topped with S100

If you use 3M: FI-II then FI-III Machine Glaze, then SCPW or S100 .

It is all a matter of choice. They all do similar things in terms of what they were designed for. It comes down to personal taste and whether or not you are using the product by hand or machine.

Cheers!

Post Thanks / Like

Is there a difference between the larger bottles and the smaller ones? Yes and no. Certain 3M products in the Finesse It/Perfect It line does have both large and small bottles such at Finesse-It II Finishing Material/Compound # 05928. But as far as I know(I am not 100% certain), the Perfect-It III products are only available in the larger bottles. Moreover, most of the Perfect-It III products are only available in body shop supply stores and not the general auto parts places.

Yes, you are correct. I haven`t seen a Perfect It III product that isn`t in the larger bottles, and they are geared more torwards the rotory.

I have found that FI-II is similar to DACP. PI-III IMHO is between DACP and #9. (3M SMR has a lot of oils in it which is what I am NOT after.)

Gotcha.

It is all a matter of choice. They all do similar things in terms of what they were designed for. It comes down to personal taste and whether or not you are using the product by hand or machine.

I am using a PC. I hate choice, I want someone to say "Use this, this, this and this - they are the best!" I want to be spoon fed! :p

I am going to drop a line to Meguiars to ask what exactly is the difference between #9 and #82.

Thanks for all your help! :up

- Anthony

Post Thanks / Like
    I already asked Meguiars that exact question!! They said that #82 Swirl Free Polish is for machine use only(unless you are Scottwax with Bionic arms! (I added that)) while the #9 is for either hand or machine use.

I have found that the #82 does work far better with a rotary than #9 as the #9 breaks down too fast. If you smell both products and look at the color etc... they look/smell the same. But the #82 does seem to be better with the rotary!

I will tell you this....what ever your choice, top with S100 especially if it is a dark colored car!! Wow!!:xyxthumbs

Post Thanks / Like

I already asked Meguiars that exact question!! They said that #82 Swirl Free Polish is for machine use only(unless you are Scottwax with Bionic arms! (I added that)) while the #9 is for either hand or machine use.

I have found that the #82 does work far better with a rotary than #9 as the #9 breaks down too fast. If you smell both products and look at the color etc... they look/smell the same. But the #82 does seem to be better with the rotary!

I will tell you this....what ever your choice, top with S100 especially if it is a dark colored car!! Wow!!:xyxthumbs

LOL!

Thanks for saving me the trouble of sending Meguiars an e-mail. I think I`ll stick with 3M SMR, I just need to buy some for my white Infiniti, which sucks cause that is the only light colored car I own. I don`t plan on glazing that car, and since the 3M SMR has more fillers than the #9, it would be more ready for wax right after polishing than the #9. Does that make any sense?

And as for the p21s/s100 argument.... my opinion: http://www.autopia.org/forums/showth...threadid=19700

Someone gave it 5 little bubbly things too, so I feel special. :p

- Anthony

Post Thanks / Like

I already asked Meguiars that exact question!! They said that #82 Swirl Free Polish is for machine use only while the #9 is for either hand or machine use.

Woah, didn`t know that little tidbit of info before! The next time I`m in a store I`ll have to look at this stuff a little more carefully....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information