Post Thanks / Like
    Over the weekend, I accidentally lowered the garage door down over the rear hood of my Acura MDX (still kicking myself for doing that).

Anyways, there is a section where the garage door has contact and scraped the paint off (about a 1 inch by 3 inch section). The area is not dented, just had the paint scuffed off.

Is this something I would need to take to a body shop for repairs or would it be something a good touch up artist could fix?

Any recommendations for good detailers in the Northern California, east bay area?

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Detailing usually just consists of cleaning and shining. If you have dents and paint damage from something like that then a detail shop isn`t going to be able to help a whole lot. I know there are several mobile companies that offer dent removal and paint touch up and stuff like that. Detailing is usually a seperate department than automotive restoration. If it can`t be polished out then your best bet is to seek out a body shop first.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by dt94588

Over the weekend, I accidentally lowered the garage door down over the rear hood of my Acura MDX (still kicking myself for doing that).

Thanks

I just have to ask you what is a "rear hood" There is only one hood on the car. Do you mean the lift gate or the roof.

If you have a pic of the damage I can tell you the best way to go about the repairs.

NYD

Post Thanks / Like
    dt94588 -

Sorry to hear about the damage to your MDX; that is a bummer.

If you have means to post pictures of the damage on this thread it may be helpful to elicit more advice.

My initial recommendations would be as follows:

Very carefully observe the damage at an angle under florescent light. This should show you any slight metal impressions if there are any, and it will certainly give you a scope as to the paint damage. If there truly was no bending of the metal and the paint hasn’t been scratched all the way through to the primer or bare metal than you can probably use a compound yourself. If there was no bending of the metal but the paint was taken off to the primer or bare metal then I would look to an experienced air brush technician before going to a body shop. Your Acura dealership may have an in-house tech or be able to recommend one to you. If there was slight bending to the metal and the paint has been removed to the primer or bare metal then I would take it to a body shop. I would research the reputation of either an air brush technician or body shop prior to giving them your vehicle.

I`m sorry; I`m not familiar with any detailers in your area. I`m sure others on this board will have recommendations for you though. Of course you could always shoot for doing a detail yourself if you are so inclined - lot`s of good info on this sight if you need advice.

Oh I'll Bring the Shizzle Nagchampa's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    That sounds like it may be too large an area for touch-up paint. Any decent bodyshop will have that repaired and out the door in a day. You also can try repairing it yourself but be carefull..
    "Never walk into an environment and assume that you understand it better than the people who live there." - Kofi Annan after his first frigid Minnesota winter

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by NY detailer

I just have to ask you what is a "rear hood" There is only one hood on the car. Do you mean the lift gate or the roof.

If you have a pic of the damage I can tell you the best way to go about the repairs.

NYD

I was struggling to find the right term for that. The MDX has a rear door that opens out and above the car (is this called a hatchback?)

Post Thanks / Like
    It is called the lift gate

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by fastidious_r

dt94588 -

Sorry to hear about the damage to your MDX; that is a bummer.

If you have means to post pictures of the damage on this thread it may be helpful to elicit more advice.

My initial recommendations would be as follows:

Thanks for the suggestion. I want to get a picture posted, but haven`t been able to get the images transferred from my camera yet.

Thread Information