Post Thanks / Like
    Does anybody have any tips for maintaining the detail of your cars in the winter? I have trouble keeping my car in good shape with the soggy NW weather.

Post Thanks / Like
    Obviously, if you have a garage, your life will be alot easier......

I am assuming you don`t have one.

1. Car wash and dry at least once per week.

2. QD as weather permits.

3. Be sure to clean the wheel wells and lower rocker panels at the car-wash.....nasty salt build-up can come back to haunt you later.

4. Wax as weather permits......this can be tough with a long cold winter.

5. Vac that salt and sand out of your floor mats and carpet frequently.

6. While you`re at the car-wash, spray down your engine bay......it will make it easier to clean in the spring.

Basically, just keep it as clean as possible.
    Bill Luster

`00 Trans Am / `82 Vette

Click here for:Bill`s Pictures

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with Luster, but I would add to really concentrate on the interior. It does not matter what the weather is doing, you have no excuse for a poor interior.

Steven

Post Thanks / Like
    I am fortunate to have both a garage and mild weather here in the Pacific Northwest area (actually, Vancouver, BC, Canada). I concentrate on getting the hose under the car and hosing out any ares which will trap salt and dirt, such as the back side of the bumper, and the wheel wells and back of the wheels, all around the muffler and exhaust pipe, and the suspension.

Post Thanks / Like
    I live in NJ and the winter is a beast on my car. I agree with the car wash once a week. I have a place that hand washes with quality mitts (I still cringe when they do it). If it`s 40 degrees or warmer, I`ll do the wheels by hand (with rubber gloves on). I always use protection on my wheels every week. In fact, Armor-All Original works great on my wheels - no joke! I swear by it. I use Turtle Wax spray wax a couple times a month for protection and shine to keep up barrier. It`s half-way decent and used only in the winter. I use a QD as well on occasion. It`s WAY too cold to be outside detailing, even in the unheated, attached garage. As for the interior, buy cheap rubber floor mats and store your good ones in the house. Detailing the interior is much easier since you can shut the door and turn the car on! I do that for a few minutes while I do a quick wipe down!!

I use the Armor All, Turtle Wax cheaper stuff in the winter (December - March) and the higher end stuff during the warmer months. Easier on the wallet.
    Seth

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the advice everyone! I appreciate it. One more thing. I usually neglect to wax my car during the winter months (I know I may no longer belong in this forum) but I realize it`s probably the most important time to wax.

I`ve seen a spray wax called Wax As U Dry on the shelf. It`s made by Eagle One.

Has anybody used this stuff before? This may be a quick an easy solution for the winter but I don`t know if it`s legit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by ride

I`ve seen a spray wax called Wax As U Dry on the shelf. It`s made by Eagle One.

Has anybody used this stuff before? This may be a quick an easy solution for the winter but I don`t know if it`s legit.

I`m sure it`s better than not waxing at all........and will probably provide a certain amount of protection during the winter months...

When spring gets here........ZAINO UP!!!!!!!
    Bill Luster

`00 Trans Am / `82 Vette

Click here for:Bill`s Pictures

Post Thanks / Like
    If you are looking for a extra good hand car wash in union county NJ they are on route 22 east in union. they do a fantastic job.I go there when its to cold to wash the car outside.They are next to the gulf gas station before the turn off for home depot.

vern

Thread Information