Post Thanks / Like
    Ok, I just bought a 2003 Subaru WRX and I pick it up Friday. I asked the salesperson that they not detail it for me so I`ll be responsible for its first true cleaning I was warned that the plastic they use to protect the cars while they are being transported by rail leaves a sticky residue. The dealer uses some special "solvent" :O to clean it off. Anybody familiar with what I`m talking about? What would be the best plan of attack for removing any residue? I was thinking clay then some AIO followed by SG. Any thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like
    How about asking for some off the solvent and seeing what you think of it and using it?? I have had grat results in the past wth Auoglym tar remover for removing adhesive type residues.

Post Thanks / Like
    How about some PPG Prep Solv or something similar. It is what body shops use to prep and clean paint. I pour this on a clean cotton terry cloth towel and it dissolves any sticky residue I`ve come across. You can also spray it on, let it work for a minute and then carefully wipe it off.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by k91

being transported by rail

Ahhhh.....the dreaded RAIL DUST....

You might also want to think about claying before you put any polish or wax on the car.

Rail dust is, basically, microscopic metal particals that like to embed into your paint......and make it rough to the touch, but invisible to the eye.

Clay bar removes rail dust.
    Bill Luster

`00 Trans Am / `82 Vette

Click here for:Bill`s Pictures

Post Thanks / Like
    k91- The stuff Subaru uses can be a bear to get off! I like RichPug306xsi`s idea. They shouldn`t object, as you`re relieving them of the effort of/responsibility for the clean-up. You don`t really have time for my other thought, namely calling AutoInt and getting something from them. In MY experience, claying, while something you REALLY DO want to do, will NOT remove that residue very well, nor no "citrus degreasers". It`s pretty tough stuff. Speaking of tough, WRX paint is pretty hard (but brittle), so if you decide to let them do it, you MIGHT be OK. Especially if you warn/convince them that you`ll break the sales contract if they mess up the car.

Anyone else? I know I`m not the only Subaru owner here. I did our (old) Outback myself with (I think, long time ago) PrepSol. And it was a pain. I bought the WRX used from a lease company with 1K miles on it and it only had 2 scratches and NO swirls, so someone prepped it OK.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the replies I`ll try and remove it myself. The dealer said I can bring the car back if I am unsuccessful and they will use the solvent for me.

Post Thanks / Like
    k91- I think you`ll enjoy your WRX, we like ours. Which did you get, wagon or sedan? Which color? Options, etc.? Don`t mean to be nosey, but I AM curious. BTW, I used Klasse on the black rocker (and other) trim. Works great and you don`t have to re-apply as with ERV treatments. Let us know how the residue removal goes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Accumulator - I bought an Aspen White sedan, auto-dimming rear view, security upgrade, spoiler and short throw shifter. Looks like they went a head and detailed in anyways, so I don`t have to worry about removing the transport residue just some swirl marks...

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations on your WRX purchase! I`ve been lusting after a silver WRX wagon myself.

When the dealer delivered my new car, they did an awful job preparing it. I had transport residue all over the hood, side panels, and roof. I ended up using Stoners Tarminator to remove the residue. It worked really well. After the residue was removed, I re-washed the car and AIO/SGed it.

Good luck,

-ema

Post Thanks / Like
    k91- Sounds like yours has good options. I didn`t have any choice about them (they were still hard to find back then). It was tough enough getting the lease company to just sell me the car outright. Sorry to hear they detailed your car anyhow. It`s sorta tough to go ballistic about it when the car`s sitting there all ready for you to take home, huh? Did they actually SWIRL it to the extent that it`s noticeable or are you just assuming/preparing for the worst? That`s some pretty hard paint. You`ll find that it REALLY shines up nice. Have fun!

ema- The Stoner`s is a good tip for removing the residue. BTW, mine`s a silver wagon

Thread Information