Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey all,

I am in need of a recommendation for a glaze suitable for a semi-garage queen. My thinking is that it will only be driven once a month. Would this justify the omission of a wax/protectant? In addition to your thoughts on this subject, I`d like some advice on glazing or shine products. My ultimate goal is to keep the paint in near perfect condition with little degradation of surface quality over time (meaning, I wouldn`t have to polish it very often).

Post Thanks / Like
    Glazing alone is not the right thing to do, IMHO. The glaze will evaporate way too quickly, along with the shine, without wax over it; the wax itself evaporates, just more slowly. I have a garage queen and it`s currently wearing Souveran. I did use a glaze before hand, though. I like 3M`s machine glaze for dark colored cars. I think some of the serious concours guys will apply a pure non abrasive glaze as the top coat, but it`s right before they`re judged, and it`s gone real quick. Besides, you`ll want some protection when the car is out on the road, and, just sitting in the garage, really.

Post Thanks / Like
    Check out this link....3M Imperial Hand Glaze/Collinite Carnuba

http://www.autopia.org/forums/showth...threadid=19443
    1899 Leggett / 1919 Model T Touring

1931 Model A Sedan / 1996 BMW Z3

Other Boring Modern Iron

Serious no BS kinda guy forrest@mothers's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I disagree with RobD. All of my toys stay under covers in the garage and wax never touches them - just glaze.

I apply it just before the car is driven, and wash before covering and putting away again.

Wax is for protection, not shine. Glaze provides a better look than a wax.

I`ve found that applying to a quarterpanel at a time with a closed cell foam applicator, and removing while still damp with a MF is the way to go.

There are several good glazes out there, but I`m biased and use our Sealer and Glaze, part # 08100.
    forrest

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by forrest

I disagree with RobD. All of my toys stay under covers in the garage and wax never touches them - just glaze.

Wax is for protection, not shine. Glaze provides a better look than a wax.

I have to agree!

Wax simply protects the paint. Quality paint, good prep work, and a glaze will make the paint look great.

I`ve recently tried out One Grand`s Omega Glaze and it worked great. I would check it out.

I remember using 3M`s IHG and remember it leaving a lot of oil on the paint. It also seemed to actually make the paint worse even after I applied the wax vs. areas I didn`t glaze and just waxed.
    2005 F-150 Reg Cab Flareside 5.4L

Chemical Engineers: More refined than the rest.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`d use Clearkote`s Vanilla Moose. Super wet and reflective and easy on and off.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    Strictly a "fair" weather car you can not lose with either Vanilla Moose or P21S GEPC. I have not tried the Mothers yet but I am looking forward to testing some maybe this Fall (hint,hint Forrest ) . The downside is that all 3 have some form of cleansing activity ( abrasives and/or solvents) so these may not meet your needs. The closest products I have found to have a "pure" glaze functionality are Meg#7 ( a little difficult to use), Super Shine`s "Power Shine" and believe it or not P21S wax and Souveran. Yes, the latter two are waxes but because of their high oil contain and lack of abrasives tend to mimic a "pure" glaze. My idea of a pure glaze are these oils. Heck, a little protection will not hurt.

Also if you are for a glazed enhanced appearance I would also suggest topping whatever product you use with Clearkote`s QuikShine. Really an amazing QD which is free of alcohols,silicones and waxes. :wavey

Post Thanks / Like
    I don`t know what color your car is but I saw a black car that had Mothers Sealer and Glaze used on it exclusively and it looked magnificent. The paint looked so "liquid" that I felt I could jump into it and swim around. I use it like Forrest recommended and it gives a great surface, but I usually top it with carnuba.

Just my $.02

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by blkZ28Conv

Strictly a "fair" weather car you can not lose with either Vanilla Moose or P21S GEPC. I have not tried the Mothers yet but I am looking forward to testing some maybe this Fall (hint,hint Forrest ) . The downside is that all 3 have some form of cleansing activity ( abrasives and/or solvents) so these may not meet your needs. The closest products I have found to have a "pure" glaze functionality are Meg#7 ( a little difficult to use), Super Shine`s "Power Shine" and believe it or not P21S wax and Souveran.

I think Super Shine`s "Power Shine" is a wax.

We`ll have to look into what size abrasives are in a glaze. I think all glazes pretty much have some sort of abrasive in it. Applying a glaze by hand though will not remove too much paint if any at all because the abrasives are probably extremely fine and lightly rubbing it on by hand will not really move them across the paint enough.

Maybe we should all start to email companies with glazes to see if we can extract what size abrasives they use in their glazes. It would be a good thing to know mainly when people want to least abraisve glaze.
    2005 F-150 Reg Cab Flareside 5.4L

Chemical Engineers: More refined than the rest.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by KSCobra46

I don`t know what color your car is but I saw a black car that had Mothers Sealer and Glaze used on it exclusively and it looked magnificent. The paint looked so "liquid" that I felt I could jump into it and swim around. I use it like Forrest recommended and it gives a great surface, but I usually top it with carnuba.

Just my $.02
    I`d suggest running a search for Mothers Sealer & Glaze. Seems like one of the better products.

Post Thanks / Like
    Omega
    As Soon As I saw That Guys Cars Dirty I Knew He Was Going To Be A Failure! Donald Trump - The Apprentice

Post Thanks / Like
    I have not seen any votes for Klasse SG yet, so I guess I`ll be the first. I really like this particular product, and think it does an excellent job at producing reflectivity/shine.

The Vette is a garage queen (no more than 1,500 miles per year) and it currently wears about 5 coats of Klasse Sealant Glaze, topped with countless coats of Souveran paste (it`s therapeutic, you know ). I prefer EF Clear Pearl and PakShak microfiber to quick detail when needed.

This has been a combination that I had great success with. Whether or not you want to use a sealant only or a sealant in conjunction with a wax is up to you. Just because a car sees minimal use, does not exclude it from the use of a wax. A wax over a sealant typically provides a different look than a sealant alone, so you need to think about the "look" that you are after.

You ask about maintaining the surface, and I`d like to suggest the use of a quality car cover while in storage. Not only does it protect against the obvious bumps/bruises that the car may see in a garage, but it also limits the amount of contact that you will have with the paint as far as quick detailing the car every day in order to remove dust. The less contact with the paint, the less chance of introducing hairline scratches.

The Vette has been inside under a Noah car cover since Nov. of last year due to the poor weather here in the East. They say Spring is coming, I`m just not sure when.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by 4DSC

I`d suggest running a search for Mothers Sealer & Glaze. Seems like one of the better products.

I concur. I had not heard a great deal opf buzz about this product until I started reading Intel486`s thread on glazes.

I tried it last night on a black paint job and was just blown away by the reflection and the wet-look shine. Incredible stuff. As soon as the sun comes out, pics are on the way.....

Post Thanks / Like
    BlkonBlk,

I realize there are some very mild abrasive in Mother`s Seal and Glaze which are necessary to activate the resins per Forrest . How abrasive is this product. Similiar to GEPC/SEPC? 3M IHG? Meg#7? Or Meg #9? Do you think it is mild enough that it will not remove all layers of sealant if applied lightly by hand?

Forrest please tune-in if you read these questions.

Thanks in advance.:wavey

Serious no BS kinda guy forrest@mothers's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    blkz28 - I think you`re confusing Sealer and Glaze with our resin based synthetic - Reflections. Reflections is the one with light cleaners in it, which are necessary to activate the resins.

Any "cleaning" done by Sealer and Glaze is more a function of the solvent carriers rather than an abrasive.

Use Sealer and Glaze to your heart`s content - it won`t do anything to harm or remove paint.

It`s more closely related to #7 than #9, btw. Of course, I think it`s lots better (but I`m biased).
    forrest

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information