Thread: Carwash Help

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a `91 white Mustang convertible. The paint has always been in pretty good shape due to professional detailing.

For the last 6 months the car has been outside due to a broken down transmission.

The transmission has been replaced and the car is ready to drive.

The car is totally filthy on the outside and I can`t afford professional detailing because I am currently unemployed.

What product or products can I use that will cut thru the dirt and grime?

I ran my finger across the hood and the dirt did NOT come off.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Larry

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Larry,

If its that bad then pretty much any liquid detergent will do the job. It sounds like any previous wax is long gone so bust out the dishwashing liquid from under the sink and wash away.

The car will need some polishing to remove stains, swirls, and oxidation during its down time. From there you can apply your fave wax or sealant. Your car isn`t clearcoated so there are no worries regarding which brands to use.

Do you have any car care products on hand? Tell us what ya got and we`ll tell ya what will work. Please be specific as we can`t see what you`re looking at.
    There are only three things you need to know about me. Gloss, Gloss, GLOSS!!

Post Thanks / Like
    HI Larry,

First mistake Larry was running your finger across the hood!:nono

I guess the first question or questions to ask would be how much can you afford to spend on products ? I only ask because of your current job status, which I hope improves for you.

Do you have a polisher, like a orbital or a Porter Cable?

Just off the top of my head you will need a clay bar for sure and some lubricant, which can easily be made in a 32oz bottle with water and a few drops of car soap.

Have you ever used clay before?

Get back with us.

Anthony
    "The Art & Science of Auto Detail"

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m sorry to hear about the job situation.

Since money is a contributing factor, in my opinion, the cheapest way would be to use good old fashioned Dawn with a good wash pad that has a very little "bite" to it to strip away the grime. Be careful though! Zero cost!

If you have clay around, I`d DEFINATELY clay the car. If not, Mothers makes a relatively cost effective clay product that you can pick up in most auto parts stores. I believe @ $15.00

With cost still in mind, I`d use Medallion Premium Paint Cleaner @ $9.00. I`d follow with Meguiar`s Gold Class Wax @ $9.00.

If you want to spend another $9.00, I`d use Meguiar`s No. 9 Swirl Remover after the Paint Cleaner and before the Wax. (That`s if you have hairline cratches, minor swirls etc...)

Pick up some terry applicators (if doing by hand) at Target for @ $3.00 for a pack of 4.

Also, rummage around the automotive section at Target and look at the products. You can find some other cost effective products as well. Hey, you may just need (and want) to use Meguiars Cleaner Wax for $5.00 after the wash and clay depending on the effort you want to exert.

Hope this works.

Post Thanks / Like
    Vettecor- Welcome to Autopia. You`ll find plenty of affordable tips here to help get your Mustang back into shape. As everyone`s saying, use some liquid dishwashing detergent like Dawn to help cut the grime and plan on washing it twice to really get it clean. Don`t be tempted to use something stronger like Simple Green.

Get a few all-cotton wash mits at Target, Walmart, etc. As Spilchy said, look for the Mother`s claybar system. At one time I think it included some Mother`s cleaner-wax. The clay-and-cleaner-wax combo can really make a difference, especially on white. Get some car-wash solution and some all-cotton towels for future washes (using the Dawn again would strip off all your new wax).

Post Thanks / Like
    You could also just try a cleaner/wax after you wash and clay. If you get the Mother`s clay kit, some cleaner/wax is included.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi guys,

I really want to thank all of you for responding to my question about cleaning my `91 Ford Mustang.

The products that I have at present consist of the following:

Ultra Dawn Diswashing Liquid

Meguiars Gold Class Clearcoat Liquid Carwax.

Meguiars Cleaner/Wax Liquid

3M Showcar Liquid Wax

Are those products good enough to get "The Pony" back looking good?

Also what Claybar do you recommend and where can I purchase?

I`ve never used a claybar. (you probably knew that)

Thanks Again

Larry

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Larry

I think you can return the 3M Showcar Liquid Wax and Meguiars Cleaner/Wax Liquid because you have the Meguiars Gold Class Clearcoat Liquid and Mothers clay comes with cleaner wax.

The most readily available clay bar is made by Mothers. http://www.mothers.com/products/products.html. Look in that section. It comes with a Cleaner Wax too (as mentioned).

Only use the Dawn once. Switch to another shampoo for future hand washings (like Mothers or Meguiars).

Spend the money from the returned products on a nice wash mitt, drying towels, wax removal towels, wheel cleaner and brush.

Steps: Wash...Clay...Wash again with car soap...Cleaner wax...Gold Class if you want. Won`t hurt!
    Seth

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Vettecor

Are those products good enough to get "The Pony" back looking good?

Also what Claybar do you recommend and where can I purchase?

I`ve never used a claybar. (you probably knew that)

Thanks Again

Larry
    Sure they are - a big, big part about keeping a car looking good is how you touch the paint when you have to and what you use to do it. What wax you use is secondary to how good the paint looks to begin with, so make sure your techniques and towels, mitts, applicators, etc. are safe and not causing scratches first. Everything is 95% techinque and preparation, so you want to keep your finish looking swirl-free for as long as possible.

Mothers clay kit is fairly easy to find, has instructions to help you (although there are instructions here), and includes a nice bottle of QD and some good cleaner wax as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you really want to pinch pennies, Meguiar`s Quik Clay or Clay Magic will probably be about $3-5 cheaper than the Mother`s. They won`t have a cleaner/wax, but you already have one. Just a thought.

Post Thanks / Like
    Another suggestion if you would like save the money on clay bar. How about the Zymol cleaner wax one can purchase from Costco or Walmart, after a careful wash using dishwasher soap and nice, soft towels you can gather? Mind you, the Zymol isn`t very durable but sure gives a nice shine.

Aloha!

Thread Information