Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    I read David`s article on removing stains and odors

http://www.autopia.org/forums/showth...threadid=8604&

I was just curious if anyone else had encountered an effective method for removing the smell of cigarette smoke. I am working on a friends car right now that has a really srtong odor of cigarettes. They didn`t ask me to get rid of it for them, but I thought it would be a nice touch.

I don`t have an ozone generator, and I don`t think I can find anyone that will rent one to me. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like
    I use whatever works. I`ve found that a great combination of products and procedures is to use Fabreeze on the headliner, carpets and seats and especially under the seats. I get a shot down each air vent for good measure since that is where a lot of the smells get trapped and perpetuated. Ozium makes what I consider to be the best `new car smell` you can get. Some people don`t like it and that is their choice. Smells are an individual thing. Fabreeze can smell a bit soapy so I air out the car really well after using that and then finish it off with Ozium. I`ve killed a lot of really bad smells using this method. Everything from cigarette smoke to spilled milk that sat in the trunk for the hottest month of the year. It works well for me since that is what I am limited to when I am working. Give it a shot. Don`t forget to do something about the air vents.

Something else that works well is to throw a few dryer sheets around for good measure. On cars that don`t smell as bad I just leave one under each seat and try and hide one or two up under the dash somewhere. That usually leaves a pleasing smell behind after awhile.

Post Thanks / Like
    Jngrbrdman -

Have you ever tried an "Ozone Bomb?"

Post Thanks / Like
    Nope. Never tried it. Actually, I don`t think I`ve ever seen it. Do you know where I can find it? I`d love to try it out.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have never tried it.....but it looks interesting in concept.

http://www.goodspeedmotoring.com/?pa...ng#DEODORIZING

Post Thanks / Like
    I don`t get it... is the ozone bomb a product or just a method of using a deoderizer?
    -Chuckmotor

Post Thanks / Like
    The headliner is, by far, the worst offender of stored smoke odors.....

FeBreeze (sp?) works very well, but its just a cover up.

I don`t know of anything that actually removes the smell.

I`d be a little afraid to "extract" a headliner.......could get expensive!
    Bill Luster

`00 Trans Am / `82 Vette

Click here for:Bill`s Pictures

Post Thanks / Like
    Taking smoke odor out of a smoker`s car is useless. Most of them won`t notice the difference since their clothes are saturated all the time anyway.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by rexster314

Taking smoke odor out of a smoker`s car is useless. Most of them won`t notice the difference since their clothes are saturated all the time anyway.

That isn`t true. I`ve never removed the smell of smoke upon request from someone who was the actual smoker. Its always been either when they are trying to sell the car or when they just bought the car. If they are going to continue to smoke it in then it wouldn`t be worth it. When they want it to appear as new and as well kept as possible then they usually want to take steps to clean it up. Saying that it is useless is not at all true.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice touch. But it`s kinda like perfuming a pig. They`ll be smoking in it as soon as they drive away. The FaBreeze will cover up the smell for a while though. It`s cheap and takes no time.

Post Thanks / Like
    how`s the vinegar? I wouldn`t do it inside my car but curious if it works for real.. http://www.bbqblanton.com/vinergarti...rette%20smoke? (click on "Cigarette smoke?" on right side)

Post Thanks / Like
    I smoke in my car on occasion. I know I know. Tisk Tisk. I have one a day, and they`re all in the morning on the way to school in the car. I crack my sunroof while in school till the point where its open, but no rain will be able to get in the car if it begins to rain. I find that just opening it that much for a couple hours or so will air the car out nice. By the time I`m out of school, I can go down to my car and smell no smoke at all. I also spray Ozium New Car Smell in my car once a week when washing the car. Spray that, open windows and air that out. Car never smells like smoke after (unless you obviously smoke in it).

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a little trick it`s old school but it works. The bounce sheets you use for your dryer stick a couple under the seats. :wavey

Post Thanks / Like
    Jngrbrdman,

I always febreeze the car, and it works a treat. You can even get an extra stength version (I think) which might get rid of strong odours better.

I will have to try spraying down the vents as well, good idea :xyxthumbs Lets just hope I dont fry anything

For an air freshner, I use a hanging scent made by Airwick (Haze):

The citrus smell is really really nice, but I might give the flowery scent a try soon :p

Post Thanks / Like
    Need to nuetralize the smoke odor in a car??

Two words....."Taco Bell":scared

For those seeking info on the "odor bomb" it is a little can that sits upright and the top button is depressed, like that on a insect fogger can.

It is said to attack the odor causing bacterias. One can clean and clean but unless you kill the bacteria that causes the odors then then smell will come back. Most car fragrances only cover up the smell for a period of time.

This is where steam vapor cleaners come in handy. I cleaned a 740 BMW with spilt milk that sat for two days in the Texas sun, phew talk about stank!!

I cleaned the leather seats, carpets and then hit them with my steam cleaner and presto whamo the smell was gone.

Personally I thinkthe Taco Bell option is the best.

Anthony
    "The Art & Science of Auto Detail"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information