Post Thanks / Like
    While driving in Tulsa today I happened to see a small auto paint supply store. Thinking that they might have some detailing supplies, I found that they not only had virtually every product available for paint made by Meguiars and 3M, the pricing was about 25% below that normally found on the most popular websites. I was shocked! DACP, FI-II, Perfect-It III, SMR, clays, waxes, EVERYTHING. 16oz and 32oz bottles. All at about 25% below internet pricing. Prices were also well below those found at places like Pep-Boys and other major chains. And no shipping charges. What`s going on?? Is this unusual or have we all been brainwashed into thinking that we have to shop the net in order to get what we want at reasonable prices?

Post Thanks / Like
    i`ve been shopping at places like this for a long time. I go in with a part number and come out with what ever i asked for. They always have what I want.

It`s called McHenery Paints in Frederick Md. They carry everything Meg`s and 3m and some other stuff too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Many painter supply stores buy at jobber/whoesale price. Chances are, they are making most of their money on paint, not on detailing chemicals. I know from experience that a 16 oz bottle of 3M FI-II runs about $8.35 at wholesale. Retail on this product is $12.00. Not much profit by the time you`ve paid for shipping to your store, received it and put it on your shelf. I don`t think other sources are ripping us off... I think you have found a source that makes it`s money elsewhere and uses the prices on these products to bring you in.

db

Post Thanks / Like
    Did you have to brush the dust off of everything?

Nice find.

Post Thanks / Like
    No dust. No visible separation of chemicals from sitting around too much. Just the fact they had so much of each items tells me that the stuff moves. I think most of their sales are to body shops and professional detailers. Here is a sample of some of the prices I saw:

Meguiars DACP $15.50/qt, $28.50/gallon

FI-II$25.00/qt

SMR-$9.00/16oz

They also had meguiars velcro pads for rotaries at about $10 each. Clay seemed pretty cheap too but I can`t remember the prices.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like a great find. I am gonna have to start hunting for those places in my area... Think Sherman Williams would have stuff like that? I`ll have to see, or find other painting places. Thanks for the tip.

Miguel

Patrick
    and what was the name of this supply store ?

Post Thanks / Like
    It was simply called "Wholesale Auto Paint". Just a small local shop that had all of the goodies for exterior care.

Post Thanks / Like
    David B I could not agree with ya more. I deal with a paint shop in upstate New York who does just that. They claim that they make their money painting vehicles not selling products.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think I paid $26 for my last gallon of DACP (about 6 months ago) at my local Meguiars distributer. They don`t sell any 3M products though.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    Mike, where is it in Tulsa? I`m from Broken Arrow.... Quickly turning into detail freak.... Addicted to this board and all the fantastic information you guys put here.

Post Thanks / Like
    On 11th St., about 3 blocks east of Sheridan, south side of the street.

Patrick
    Well, being from Calif, I dont think I could make a weekend trip out there. Is it safe to say they dont have a web page ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Patrick

Well, being from Calif, I dont think I could make a weekend trip out there. Is it safe to say they dont have a web page ?

Where are you in CA? The Carnuba Store in Costa Mesa is pretty neat, it has pretty much everything, no Zaino though. Prices are about the same as everybody else. People have ordered online from them. Their website is http://www.detailingdepot.com If you`re close, check it out.

Patrick
    Ventura County, we dont have a whole heck of a lot out here....I do most of my shopping on the web....

Thread Information