Post Thanks / Like
    OK my fellow Q-tipping-dust hating- fanatical detailing compulsive wacks, lets hear about all the wierd, off the wall, abnormal and unconventional items, tools, thing-a-ma-bobbies, gidgets and gadgets that you use to complete a detail job.

How many of you have raided your wife`s makeup tool chest for detail brushes?

Found great tools at a hobby and craft store? Grocery store?

I`ll tell you all one. I found that my wifes makeup applicators, wedge shaped foam thingies, make great dressing applicators for tight spaces.

Lets hear it

Anthony
    "The Art & Science of Auto Detail"

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Anthony Orosco

How many of you have raided your wife`s makeup tool chest for detail brushes?

Found great tools at a hobby and craft store? Grocery store?

I`ll tell you all one. I found that my wifes makeup applicators, wedge shaped foam thingies, make great dressing applicators for tight spaces.

Lets hear it

Anthony

Same here... makeup brushes are soft, fine and long-stemmed, great for reaching vents in between dash and windshield. I have those wedge foams as well, I use them to apply dressing on tight moldings.

Post Thanks / Like
    I use a 35 mL oral syringe (small tip) to mix and dispense Z/ZFX, and to dispense other sealants that require "thin" application; it lets me see precisely how much product I`m using as I go. An added advantage with Z/ZFX: no waste. You can get every last drop onto your applicator . . .

Also, I use a kitchen pump sprayer (originally intended to spray vegetable oil) to dispense QD. Once the sprayer is pressurized with a few pumps from the cap, I can control how much QD is dispensed easily with the press of a button (no more "half-pumps" on a trigger sprayer to try to get the right amount on a panel). The sprayer is also small enough to slip into a jeans pocket if you should need both hands.

Tort

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys. Tort, the veggie sprayer deal is a good idea. I am always looking for something that will spray my QD`s in a real fine mist rather than a heavy spray. I am going to try that.

Has anyone taken their old credit cards and used them to clean out small spaces, like between the paint and side moldings? Slip a MF towel around the edge, spray a little QD on the towel and wipe away.

Sand down the numbers just in case you loose it. BUT make sure it is the old card and NOT the new one!!! That can really tick the wife off.

Anthony

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Anthony. So u finally found Autopia, or at least started posting on it. Before i found autopia i posted at another site. And you were the main guru there. I cant remember the site now, its been a while.

As far as household items. I use 3x5 notecards and slide it along the molding while dressing it so i dont get dressing on paint or glass. It all gets on the notecard.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello (again) Roderigo,

You are thinking of "Autophorum" perhaps?

And while I thank you for the "guru" title I was just really another guy who was willing to share want he has learned, mainly from trial and error, with others willing to listen.

I had been a member here for some time now but had to take a extended vacation because I was posting on so many forums, both for auto detailing and those of a theological nature, that it was consuming far too much personal and WORK time. Something about bills being paid and kids eating....sheesh :nixweiss

I don`t know about the rest of you but I am always looking for brushes when ever my wife takes me shopping. I bargain with her that if I tag along we get to go to CompUSA just to see whats new. I have found that stores like Bed Bath and Beyond have some of the neatest little gadgets and a great selection of brushes. I found this one brush that is very flat, nice long handle and can reach deep into the wheel and clean all portions of it. Nothing like a wheel free from ALL brake dust grime. I use to dig in there by hand and gash my knuckles up. You all know that hurt, then on the next wheel the wheel cleaner gets in there, man thats awesome!

The only problem is that the brush is on its last leg and I can`t find another one

If I find another one I`ll pass on to you all where to get it.

Anthony

Oh I'll Bring the Shizzle Nagchampa's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dollar Store Makeup Section.:xyxthumbs
    "Never walk into an environment and assume that you understand it better than the people who live there." - Kofi Annan after his first frigid Minnesota winter

Post Thanks / Like
    One of my favs is the tiny sponge brushes that you use for painting. Everytime I go to AC Moore I pick up a bunch. They are great for detailing my engine etc or applying dressing.

When they have a sale you can pick up like 20 for $1.00.
    Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing

Post Thanks / Like
    I use a heavy duty TOILET BRUSH for my wheel wells and springs.........

Spray with Simple Green.

Soak for 5 minutes.

Scrub with toilet brush.

Rinse.

Done.

(does a better job than a pressure washer)...
    Bill Luster

`00 Trans Am / `82 Vette

Click here for:Bill`s Pictures

Post Thanks / Like
    Similar to Roderigo`s use of 3X5 cards, I use the laminated cardboard that comes with my wife`s pantyhose. It`s thin and the coating not only keeps it from getting saturated too quickly, but also helps it slide smoothly between/along the panels. I use this for dressings, waxes, polishes, whenever I don`t want to contaminate adjacent panels.

Thread Information