Post Thanks / Like
    How do you and what products do you use to clean the underside of hood? Especially the heat/sound mat that attaches to the underside. I accidently got oil on part of it(don`t ask). Anyone know how I can clean this and get rid of the oil stain?

Thanks in advance for your replies!

Post Thanks / Like
    unless you`re lucky enough to get a plastic/rubber or any coated hoodliner, chances are you`re stuck with a paper fiber-like hoodliner which is uncleanable since it deteriorates rapidly when exposed to water... it tears easily too... Why not ask the dealer (or a junk yard) if they have a clean(er) one... It shouldn`t be that expensive.

CCH Auto Appearance, LLC C. Charles Hahn's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    hood liners go for right around $50 for most vehicles new from the dealer parts dept., I`m getting a new one in spring for my blazer for $46.

Post Thanks / Like
    The "hood-mat" is (in most cases) used for fire suppression. If there is an engine fire, the heat melts the plastic tabs and the mat falls and smothers the fire.

The problem is that its UGLY.....and it collects and holds dirt.

I`ve done 2 things......

1. Take it off (carefully) and vacuum it. Replace it.

2. Take it off (carefully) and paint it with some latex fabric paint and a 3" roller. Replace it. It works great.

The other option is to leave it off. I`ve taken the pad off every car I`ve ever owned and never had an issue with the paint on the hood. Heat suppression is not the purpose of the mat anyway.

By taking it off, the underside of the hood becomes very easy to clean.

This pic was taken before I clear-coated under the hood......its much shinier now.....

As for the issue of fire.....I reallize there is a certain amount of risk with taking off the mat, from the standpoint of fire, and if I drove older cars, I wouldn`t be as likely to take off the pad. Since my car only get about 2000 miles per year in mileage (2 miles round trip to work), and it`s like brand new, I`m pretty safe.

Bill Luster

`00 Trans Am / `82 Vette

Click here for:Bill`s Pictures

CCH Auto Appearance, LLC C. Charles Hahn's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree, the risk of fire on modern cars is alot less than it used to be, but its still nice to have it there on daily drivers (not so much on garage queens/etc.)

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for your responses. I guess I will try to buy a new one from the dealership before showcar season starts. Thanks again everyone!!!:up

Post Thanks / Like
    You know, my 99 Integra doesn`t have a liner on it but my 97 Mustang did. I`ve detailed a lot of engines in the last couple years and I`ve really found no rhyme or reason as to what cars have them and what cars don`t. Kinda odd. You could probably just take it out and still be fine. I think they used them for insulation from sound as well as heat. That could be about the only purpose it is serving . :nixweiss

Post Thanks / Like
    I always thought it was purely for sound insulation. :nixweiss I got one of those things too. It`s huge and I`m trying to ignore some discolouration on one corner.....

Post Thanks / Like
    It`s not for fire suppression...it`s for sound deadening and heat dispersal if it is aluminized.

I have been to my share of car fires involving the engine compartment. Trust me, the liners burn just as well as the rest of the plastics and rubber in the engine compartment! It just takes a little bit longer from the heat of the fire to char the paint and distort the metal of the hood.

Post Thanks / Like
    I know on turbocharged Talons/Eclipses/Lasers, it`s definitely there as a heat shield. It may be fire-retardant as well, that I don`t know, but it`s aluminized, and without it, the hood can get hot enough to blister paint. The exhaust manifold and the hot side of the turbo are front and center on that motor, and radiate insane amounts of heat.

Tort

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Jngrbrdman

You know, my 99 Integra doesn`t have a liner on it but my 97 Mustang did. I`ve detailed a lot of engines in the last couple years and I`ve really found no rhyme or reason as to what cars have them and what cars don`t. Kinda odd. You could probably just take it out and still be fine. I think they used them for insulation from sound as well as heat. That could be about the only purpose it is serving . :nixweiss

Maybe its just a honda/acura thing:nixweiss Niether my brother`s GSR or my civic has one.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Accord Type R doesnt have this either.

From what I can tell it is mostly for sound-suppression.

My car is stripped of all necessities and doesnt have any soundproofing in the car because it all weighs too much :nono

Post Thanks / Like
    Your car sounds badass! Got any pics?

Thread Information