Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok, So I know this isn`t the "Home Improvement" Forum and I`ll most probably be banned forever from posting but this project has me so curious I could scream and I need some advise. My wife is going to kick my A** if I mess this up!

We had our house built 5 years ago and paid extra to have this 1/2" thick "Granite Looking" counter top used on all our bathroom sink tops and around the tubs. I was told it was "poured acrylic" and think the original patent name was "Corian". It looks great but has thousands of minor scratches in the surface from soap holders, toothbrush holders etc. being drug across the top. Now that I have a new Porter-Cable I`m wondering..........

The underside of this material is rough and grainy feeling but the top is smooth and shiny like it was polished and a clear coat was applied. So here comes the question.....Should I use the white buffing pad with the Porter-Cable and Swirl mark remover to polish out the scratches?....Thanks...Michael P.

"Maybe soon to be Divorced"
    1899 Leggett / 1919 Model T Touring

1931 Model A Sedan / 1996 BMW Z3

Other Boring Modern Iron

Post Thanks / Like
    If you are going to use SMR then be sure to use the SMR for light cars. You wouldn`t want some grey substance to fill those scratches.

The white pad is pretty much worthless for just about everything. You could try it with the SMR and it might have some effect. I would suggest using something a little tougher than SMR if you are using the white pad. Maybe Perfect It or something is a little tougher. I need to get the abrasive levels straight... Good luck with that. Put a book down the back of your pants for protection just in case... :xyxthumbs

Post Thanks / Like
    umm..... yeah.... ummmmmmmmm there`s no way you`ll get banned for this... No way.....

Here`s a thread on wether or not to give a courtesy flush while at work... http://www.autopia.org/forums/showth...threadid=16136

But for your question, I have no clue. Just wanted to let you know it is hard to get banned here. Good mods.

Post Thanks / Like
    perhaps wetsanding would give better results since i think that sink is a tad bit harder than the clear coat on our cars?

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m sorry.... mpawelek and sam.... I`ll need you to leave your membership cards at the door on the way out. We don`t tolerate that kind of stuff here. j/k

You know, wet sanding would probably be the best solution after all. I guess it depends on if the surface is polished or glazed. If its glazed then you could probably treat it like a clear coat. If the surface is polished then you`ll probably have to wet sand it.

Post Thanks / Like
    go to www.corian.com - this is du Pont`s official website for corian surfaces. There is a section on maintenance and dealing with scratches.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by samiam513

Just wanted to let you know it is hard to get banned here. Good mods.

one right answer... one wrong answer... LOL know which is which?
    DEDICATED TO THE PURPOSE BEYOND REASON... Oakley ..

Bill 97 Camaro SS #1422

Post Thanks / Like
    Don`t sweat it, I was just trying to figure out how I could use my PC the next time I have to clean my shower...
    2001 Black Onyx Lexus IS300

Swift Racing Intake, HKS Exhaust

19" Gewalt Evo II`s My Car

Post Thanks / Like
    www.discoveryowners.com/corianrefinish.htm

I stumbled accross this websight which states wetsanding is the best bet. It also explains different procedures for different finishes.

Good luck!:wavey

Scott
    Be Nice

Post Thanks / Like
    After spending many days and nights at home improvement centers we just had real granite counters installed in our kitchen and cultured marble in the bathroom. IMHO are you sure it`s Corian because the Corian we saw did not shine and scratched which is why we did not purchase. I think you have cultured marble which requires specific procedure to polish. Do a google search and check out the many websites there are for this. Just my .02.

TheOzzfather
    Originally posted by samiam513

umm..... yeah.... ummmmmmmmm there`s no way you`ll get banned for this... No way.....

Here`s a thread on wether or not to give a courtesy flush while at work... http://www.autopia.org/forums/showth...threadid=16136

But for your question, I have no clue. Just wanted to let you know it is hard to get banned here. Good mods.

Besides it was a popular thread lol.

Post Thanks / Like
    I wouldn`t use a compound on it, especially if it`s porous; the compound might leave residue in the pores effecting both the appearance and performance of the surface...

I agree with others - check with DuPont (or the local home improvement store) before doing any thing to it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Gee, do I have to dig out that photo of me polishing the old ball and claw bathtub with the PC again?

Almost gave Bob Villa a coronary.
    The Stable
    2017 Audi TTS
    2014 Porsche Carrera S
    2017 Porsche Macan GTS
    1996 Porsche Carrera 4S

Post Thanks / Like
    I had a similar question and decided to try to remove the scratches with good ol` tried and true autopian remidies. NOT!

Actually it did enhance the shine but the scratches were left undisturbed. I tried:

1. SMR and;

2. PI III compound.

Corian says to use 1500 grit sand paper.

Good luck!

PS will I be kicked out for weighing in?:scared

Post Thanks / Like
    From the picture, I would bet a weeks pay that your counter is NOT Corian.

Looks to me like an acrylic of some sort. Corian is very easy to fix.

but don`t use any sand paper until you establish what you have.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information