Post Thanks / Like
    A few days ago I asked which of these two 3M polish products was the least aggressive...

3M Finesse-It II Machine Polish

3M Perfect-It Swirl Mark Remover

And was told on 3 forums that the Perfect-It Swirl Mark remover was the mildest of the two. So my question is...for a Garage Queen with great paint that someone plans to "Polish" maybe twice a year with multiple wax applications in between, would this Perfect-It Swirl Mark Remover be the 3M product to use? I think it`s the words "swirl mark remover" that has me confused...Thanks...Michael
    1899 Leggett / 1919 Model T Touring

1931 Model A Sedan / 1996 BMW Z3

Other Boring Modern Iron

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by mpawelek

A few days ago I asked which of these two 3M polish products was the least aggressive...

And was told on 3 forums that the Perfect-It Swirl Mark remover was the mildest of the two. So my question is...for a Garage Queen with great paint that someone plans to "Polish" maybe twice a year with multiple wax applications in between, would this Perfect-It Swirl Mark Remover be the 3M product to use? I think it`s the words "swirl mark remover" that has me confused...Thanks...Michael

I guess that depends on whether you have swirls or light scratches. If not, 3M SMR is not going to be useful to you. If you do have some light towel or washing scratches, then 3M SMR should do the trick.

Post Thanks / Like
    So if I have no noticeable swirl marks and am happy with the paint I can wash and wax and skip the "polish" layer?...Thanks...Michael
    1899 Leggett / 1919 Model T Touring

1931 Model A Sedan / 1996 BMW Z3

Other Boring Modern Iron

Post Thanks / Like

So if I have no noticeable swirl marks and am happy with the paint I can wash and wax and skip the "polish" layer?...Thanks...Michael

Yes, if you have no noticeable swirls, scratches, you can proceed right to your normal routice, be it #7 and #26, Souveran, Zaino, etc. No need to use an abrasive product, unless you have scratches/swirls and/or oxidation.

Post Thanks / Like

Personally I`m using the Perfect-It III line of products now.

I found that SMR fills the scratches and swirls rather that removing them (just about all brands of SMR/polishes do this). They do not totally remove them! I want to remove them!

Using my PC and III Machine Glaze, I completely remove (99.9%) the scratches and swirls! It`s great stuff! Not sure how well it would work by hand however.

Once the paint is in this condition, just about anything you use will look great! It`s just personal preference as to what `type`

of shine you are looking for (Zaino, UPP, Blackfire, P21S, etc).
    - - -

2001 Black Corvette Coupe, 99 Black VW New Beetle, 98 Silver ML320, 2003 Vulcan Classic 1600 MC.

Post Thanks / Like
    i just got done useing 3m smr and it did not get all of the oxidation on my red car but it did give it a nice shine. what sould i have done to get most of the oxidation off.
    92 ford mustang gt 99 ford expedition

Post Thanks / Like
    Stang, you probably should have used a more aggressive polish. SMR is still pretty mild by hand unless you expend a lot of time/effort.

Polish should only be used as necessary (ie, if needed). Like Ds01C5 said, don`t use polish if the paint requires no fixing.

Post Thanks / Like
    thanks alot what would be good to use
    92 ford mustang gt 99 ford expedition

Thread Information