Post Thanks / Like
    I have just read an article written by Einszett. They state that most modern leather interiors have in fact a clear coat over the leather.

They state that the older style leather interiors have dyed in color and it is appropriate to use a conditioner (hide food) that feeds the necessary natural oils (such as lanolin) to keep the leather in good condition.

However the newer style (clear coated) leathers need to be treated more like the paintwork on the car. The Einszett Lederpflege product for leather (they claim) contains a cleaner and carnauba wax to protect the leather. They claim this is the appropriate treatment.

They also state that the test to determine whether you have painted leather is to see if a water droplet darkens the color of the leather...if it does then, then it is the older style dyed leather.

Based on the above test, the leather in my Boxster is painted. For sometime I have been using the Lexol Conditioner. Based on the Einszett article, this would be the wrong treatment.

Opinions anyone?

Post Thanks / Like
    It`s my understanding those comments are exactly correct. Most factory leather is spray dyed and clearcoated. Conditioners do nothing to replenish oils and whatnot. Best to use a water based dressing with a UV protectant like 303 on your leather.
    There are only three things you need to know about me. Gloss, Gloss, GLOSS!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by JB in Irvine

Based on the above test, the leather in my Boxster is painted. For sometime I have been using the Lexol Conditioner. Based on the Einszett article, this would be the wrong treatment.

I`m sure you could use a rubber/vinyl treament if you want. But I believe Lexol says it can be used on coated leather. My leather is also coated, and Lexol makes it feel much better.

Post Thanks / Like
    JB in Irvine,

I use Zaino Z-10 on leather in my Boxter,works great,303 would be just fine:up

Serg Conon
    2002 996 TT ( love her )
    2004 996 C2 ( will be replaced with 997 )
    2005 C 230 SS ( daily )
    2000 Land Rover Discovery ( wife`s )

Thread Information