Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    As you know, I am in the process of buying new equipment. I had a thread on the first glance of MF towles and wash tools. Now I just got my rotary buffer in the mail the other day for cheap. Brand new 190 dollars. That includes shipping ups 3 day. 175 without. Assembly was easy and I just L O V E the grip that goes across the buffer. I had a traditional one before with the arm on the side. I have to say I really like the grip a lot. Wow, how heavy though. I am glad I went with the makita instead of the dewalt, because it weighs a ton as is. The dials are very nice. They have the RPM label posted directly above the dials. The little notches between each settings are great. I plugged it in and just pulled the trigger and I like the increasing speed option. So thank you again for all help it took to make me decide on a rotary buffer. I am very happy and excited about the product. I made the right choice. I love rotaries. I can`t wait to try this bad boy.

The makita 9227C is the bomb.

:up

Post Thanks / Like
    :up I am glad that you like the buffer!! I have always had good luck with Makita products!!

Now, go get some pads and 3M or Meg`s polish and start buffing!!!

Oh, just make sure you cover your windshield from splatters!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    I have two mikata buffers, love them both

Post Thanks / Like
    Love mine as well... I like the loop handle as well especially on vertical surfaces.

Post Thanks / Like
    I plan on taking pictures of all my new stuff and do reviews on them once I start using them. I can`t wait to get my 3M products. I am very excited. I will be posting a lot of pictures and such as soon as I get everything together. I plan on having everything in about a week or two.

Thanks for the info once again.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m going to be following this thread closely. This is going to be the "breakout" rotary year for me and I also plan to get the Makita. Confession--I`m skipping over the PC orbital phase since I`m a pretty advanced hobbyist in other areas such as fine woodworking.

Can`t wait!

Post Thanks / Like
    I bought a PC 7424 for waxing & light polishing. I think it`s easier and generate`s less heat and less chance of damage. I am however going to purchase a Makita 9227c polisher. I am a little confused about the pad size though. It come`s with a hook & loop backer pad but I wondered what size that is ? I know quite a few people I talked to use a 6" pad for polish/wax/cutting and wondered how they can do that if the backer pad is 7" or do I have to get a smaller backer pad ?

Can anyone shed some light on this for me ?

Thank`s

Fall

Oh I'll Bring the Shizzle Nagchampa's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Fallguy

I know quite a few people I talked to use a 6" pad for polish/wax/cutting and wondered how they can do that if the backer pad is 7" or do I have to get a smaller backer pad ?

Can anyone shed some light on this for me ?

Thank`s

Fall
    Hook and loop rotary pads are usually made for a 7" backing pad. Meguiars also makes a 6.5" hook and loop backing pad for rotary polishers. I believe the part number is W-64.
    "Never walk into an environment and assume that you understand it better than the people who live there." - Kofi Annan after his first frigid Minnesota winter

Post Thanks / Like
    Rotary backing pads are usually 7" so the pad is usually 8", it`s not interchageable with orbitals in most cases...

Post Thanks / Like
    Boxster, Let me put it this way. I love the Makita 9227c Rotary.

If your comparing dewalt to Makita I can`t remember the name of the thread where I did a comparison. I was going to get a Dewalt until the makita took me.

In short- Weighs approx four pounds less than the dewalt. Easy read label of RPM settings. ( more RPM settings than the dewalt ) Since we know not to really go above 1800 rpm, The Makita has many more options in RPM speed. Dewalt/1000-3000 rpm Makita/600-3000 rpm. If you take the difference from 1800 for each, the makita has a lot more options given.( also has notches in- between each settings, so multiple it by two!) The handle is not traditional, but seems to be ergonomically designed better than the dewalt. Once you touch the handle you will never touch the side handle again.( also helps to keep the pad flat because it is positioned over the head of the buffer, unlike the side.) More amps. Approx same price, if not a couple bucks less than the dewalt. No actual studies or people have ever said it has broken or anything ( makita ). So while some may claim the dewalt is built better.... It is only a claim and so far I have not seen anything to prove otherwise that the makita is built any less better than the dewalt. Has Increasing speed to help prevent polish splatter. The dewalt I believe does not have this option along with the rest mentioned above. Also comes with a velcro backing plate extra. Also maybe a search, will help you find the thread I posted in about the two for more indepth information and analysis.

That is the information, so now, you can decide. ( wink, wink makita, cough makita )

Post Thanks / Like
    The "4 lbs less" alone is reason to pick the Makita. I have lots of tools from Makita, Bosch, Dewalt, Hitachi, Porter Cable for woodworking, and you know what? They`re all pretty darn good! So its not an issue of quality but other very subtle differences (actually 4 lbs is a pretty bug deal).

I`ll admit here when I bought a scroll saw I got so sick of all the great choices I picked a Hitachi because I didn`t have a Hitachi yet and it was a pretty green color!

Post Thanks / Like
    The reason the Makita is 4lbs lighter is because they use plastic parts in their motors, DeWalt does not. Neither does Milwaukee for that matter.

I don`t think it`s a "claim" that the DeWalt`s are built better. There is a reason more pro detailing shops use DW849`s than any other polisher built today.
    Taking my signature to it`s MAXIMUM POTENTIAL

Post Thanks / Like
    Knight, you seem to have this burning need to find the absolute best products out there. Not the best product for you, but just the best. Sooner or later you are going to figure out that there is no best product. They all have their pros and cons. Your opinion of which is the best product in the world may not always be the same product that is best for other people. To proclaim that its the best without knowing what other peoples` needs are is just arrogance and won`t win many points. Just thought I`d remind you since we have had this discussion before.

Originally posted by ShowroomLincolnThe reason the Makita is 4lbs lighter is because they use plastic parts in their motors, DeWalt does not. Neither does Milwaukee for that matter.

I don`t think it`s a "claim" that the DeWalt`s are built better. There is a reason more pro detailing shops use DW849`s than any other polisher built today.

Amen brother. :xyxthumbs Anyone care to explain why its not good to have plastic parts in your machines? I can think of a few reasons.... THEY BREAK. This is why Kias and Hyundais only cost $9000 for a new car and the rest of the automotive industry charges more. Plastic is just not the most durable thing in the world if you are going to be using it a lot.
    Keeping Texas clean one car at a time!

Oh I'll Bring the Shizzle Nagchampa's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Knight, perhaps you should actually try the DeWalt, Porter Cable, and Milwaukee before you judge the quality of these machines? I am sure the Makita is a fine tool, but I would not consider it the best. I use a DeWalt and never really worry about or wish it had the "options" that you have listed here.

I rarely polish under 1000rpms and if I need to polish that slow, I rely on the magic of the variable control trigger switch. I probably will only use the 1000, 1400, and 1800rpm settings as I hope the need for a 1675rpm setting never arises.

The handle is not really an advantage unless you are already use to the loop handle. You have never used a machine with a conventional handle so again, you have nothing to compare it to. It does not help keep the pad flat any more than a side handle does. Skill and co-ordination keep the pad flat. The fact that The handle is over the head makes little if any difference.
    "Never walk into an environment and assume that you understand it better than the people who live there." - Kofi Annan after his first frigid Minnesota winter

Post Thanks / Like
    I see nothing wrong with knight, looking and asking what are the best products to use!!!!!!

Let`s not be so hard on the kid !!!!!!!!!

Go back to your first thread and see if you weren`t as excited as knight !!!! i`ll wait go ahead!!!!!

Peace

Long Gold

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information