Post Thanks / Like
    I plan to clay my car when I go to detail it. I know it removes impurities from the paint. Does it also have swirl removing abilities or no? Also, I worry about scratching the car, any suggestions to prevent this?

On to swirl removing, my car isnt too bad, I plan to start with a white CMA pad with the 3M SMR. My gf`s on the other hand is a little worse, should I start hers with the white as well and then move to the yellow? How different are they? How much more "cut" does the yellow have over the white?

Post Thanks / Like
    The white pad is almost useless for swirl removing. Stick to the yellow one. That white one is for polish or wax. Not for SMRs.

Clay will actually cause scratches and swirls if you don`t keep it clean. Fold it often and try to keep a clean surface rubbing on your car. If you drop it then toss it. Its not worth the danger. The scratches that clay can cause to the car are really minor and actually not hard to remove at all. GEPC or PPCL will remove those kinds of scratches because they are so light. I wouldn`t worry too much about em. If you are planning on hitting the car with a PC right after then those marks won`t be around long enough to bother you. :xyxthumbs
    Keeping Texas clean one car at a time!

Post Thanks / Like
    Don`t fear the clay causing scratches. It will NOT remove swirls though. Only contaminants, such as tree sap, bug guts, bonded road grime, etc. Use a good car wash soap lubricant on the surface and then clay it. You don`t have anything to worry about, just make sure the car is lubbed well with car wash soap. Alright? Just make sure after each panel to fold and stretch the clay bar exposing a new surface, so that it will not scratch. You have nothing to fear. Believe in yourself.

:up

Post Thanks / Like
    I can share my experience with you. About a week ago I detailed my car for the first time with a pc and clay. Still have to post the pics though. Anyways I started by washing the car as you normally would then I washed it again cause I am kind of anal like that. Then on to the clay I used Pinnacle`s clay kit. it came with this grape smelling lubricant and some yellow clay. The entire clay process was easy. Just like everyone says make sure the area it lubed and run the clay over it. Basically I worked one panel at a time and took my time folding the clay often. When the clay gets "worked" it is easier to fold. I did however do the bottoms of the car last as I though more rough stuff would be there. Did behind the license plate as well. Then broke out the PC. As it was my first time I decided to use the white pads for everything. The car is garaged and I only really drive it on the weekends so I guess the swirls weren`t too bad cause they came right out. Just make sure to work the SMR in well. WIth the PC it is really easy. I had the luxury of my friends garage which had florescent lights so I was able to guage my progress if you have access to an enviornment like this I highly reccommend this. Then once that was done I used a #7 to bring out the shine again with a white pad. Then the BF polish was put down. And finally I put on the BF sealant by hand. when all was said an done the car came out great. It took me all day and a good part of the evening but I took my time and in the end I am glad. Next weekend weather permitting I will add another coat of BF sealant and I will be ready to go. The summer I will top it with S100.

Best advice I can give you is just to get out and do it.

Good luck man

Post Thanks / Like
    One thing I just realized is that CMA now has the orange pads which from what I am told combine the best worlds of both white and yellow pads

Thread Information