Post Thanks / Like
    From a big step away from the car... all my chrome is still very shiny... closer up, however, one starts to see the little defects...

you can check more pictures at

http://users.pandora.be/M15/chrome.htm

is there any proper way to get this back "into" shape,

any recommended product ? any procedure to get it back to a (near) mint condition or to improve the chrome considerable ?

Please do bare in mind I`m an apprentice.. and not so familiar with detailing, however commited to getting this car as clean and shiny as possibly can !

(been searching autopia for Chrome, but this seems to be a topic that hasn`t been discussed much !)

Any help and remarks greatly appreciated !

T H A N K S

Oh I'll Bring the Shizzle Nagchampa's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Unfortunately, chrome is just a thin coating of metal that cannot be spot repaired once scratched or pitted. Your only choice is to have the piece refinished by a chrome shop.
    "Never walk into an environment and assume that you understand it better than the people who live there." - Kofi Annan after his first frigid Minnesota winter

Post Thanks / Like
    Nagchampa.. thanks for your reply...

Not what I wanted to hear... but what I was afraid of . . .

(I had secredly hoped...for another solution...but if Autopia doesn`t know the answer....)

THANKS !

Post Thanks / Like
    No beating around the bush here man, just the dirty lowdown facts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yup. I trashed the bumper of my `69 Buick and bought a replacement from the Ecology Center.

It had a lot of rust on it... spent hours and got it looking like the original... like yours, from a distance. I didn`t have scratches like those, but rather many tiny pits.

Once the chrome is broken it`s doomed.

The best I could do was hit it with chrome cleaner and wax every weekend... it kept the rust at bay and appeared to keep it from spreading and causing the nickel plating to peel.

It held up that way for two years until I sold the car.

Post Thanks / Like
    ...Searching on the web.. I came across this company and product...

http://www.englishcustompolishing.com

I decided to ask them the same question... and show them my pics... they gave the same answer (off course)..

.. but they replied lightning fast and I sure might try their products to maintain the chrome the way it is, till I`m ready to re-chrome !

Does anyone know their products ?

--copy of the email conversations...--------(read from bottom up)

Hot Environment chrome polish will remove the surface scratches, lift off any oxidation that has managed to bleed through and generally improve the appearance. If you polish it with that once or twice a year it will help you to keep it going until your ready to replace or rechrome.

Don`t use any polishes that contain ammonia, sodium hydroxide or in particular a brand called "Professional Strength Chrome Cleaner", that stuff is strong hydrochloric acid. I use it to REMOVE chrome!

All the best,Steve

-------------------------

Hi Steve...

Thank you soo much for taking the time to look at my pics... and giving me advise...

So do I read correctly that the "hot environment chrome polish and restorer" will improve it somehow ?

-----Original Message-----

From: English Custom Polishing [mailtoolisher@EnglishCustomPolishing.com]

Sent: Friday, 10 January, 2003 3:21 AM

To: Ignace Van Hyfte

Subject: Re: can you give me advise ?

------------------------------------------------

Sorry, Ignace, the chrome is worn out, I can see scratches through to the nickel at least and patina that shows the nickel cracking through stress. It all does this with age,sorry. Unpredictable too. When a car is new it is tough to spot weak chrome. Our Hot environment chrome polish and restorer will take out any surface rust and light scratches and certainly make it look 100% better, but on examination the patina will always be present.

Wait until it begins to break up, then have it re chromed.

You might get another 4 or five years out of it. Gives you time to maybe find another and if it`s not good enough chrome it and swap it out when you need it.

All best,Steve Clark

English Custom Polishing (U.S.A.)

Thread Information