Post Thanks / Like
    Well I got the 7424 bonus kit from costaltool.com and it came today. It came with a 6" velcro backing plate, I assume this is what it is. This is the right one for the CMA pad kit correct? If not what do I need? It also came with a 5" and 6" counterweight, which am I going to use? Also it came with a washer, in with the velcro pad, where does this go? Between the bolt and the 6" velcro back plate maybe? Ok, school me on my PC and give me any and all advice you wish. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Use the wrench and remove the pad that came screwed in, if it came screwed in. Buy a Torx driver to remove the 5" counterweight, and put in the 6" counterweight. Use the wrench to attach the velco back plate.

Buy 6" pads form CMA or Meguiar`s that are backed with veclro (also known as "hook and loop") and you`re good to go!

John
    2005 Porsche 997 Carrera S. Mods: ECU, Plenum, Custom Exhaust, Turbo Wheels.

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think the washer is to go between the handle and the PC.

Charles

Wrong! See later post.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by CharlesW

I think the washer is to go between the handle and the PC.

Charles

I was wondering the same thing. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Are we talking about that funny black plastic washer? It (apparently) goes on the backing pad before you screw it in. My PC came that way pre-assembled. I think it`s just a spacer so that the backing pad bolts don`t get too close to the machine or something... :nixweiss

Post Thanks / Like
    As far as the pads CMA now has the orange ones in stock you may want to try one of them. Otherwise it depends on the conditions your paint is in. If it is on good shape then I`d say get a white polsihing pad for SMR and polsihes and a few grey ones for waxes and sealants! If your paint isn`t in such great shape then I`d opt for a yellow cutting pad for the SMR. Do some searching as there are lots of opinions on this topic that will probably help you in your final decision. :xyxthumbs

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by 4DSC

Are we talking about that funny black plastic washer? It (apparently) goes on the backing pad before you screw it in. My PC came that way pre-assembled. I think it`s just a spacer so that the backing pad bolts don`t get too close to the machine or something... :nixweiss
    Interesting. My mysterious washer is fiber. It is in a drawer along with the handle. I can`t imagine that they intended for you to have to change a washer from pad to pad.

The handle is in the drawer because of a post from someone that was using their PC without the handle. Just holding the head in one hand and the body in the other. I tried it, I liked it.

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like
    This washer thing bothered me enough to call Porter-Cable.

From their technical and service department, it does go on the backing pad or polishing pad not the handle.

It`s purpose is to keep you from tightening the pad to the point that it would be difficult to remove after use.

Sheesh, I hate to be wrong. (Especially so often)

Charles

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey, everyone is wrong once in a while. At least you came up with the reason for the washer too now. Come to think of it, that makes sense because when I was swapping around backing pads I think I experimentally took the washer off once and tried screwing it on, and noticed there wasn`t very much room left to get the wrench in there. The Porter Cable guys are smart.

Thread Information