Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, I have used waxes all my life and never a sealant. I think it is time to give a sealant it`s fair shot. Don`t you? after all, they last about 5 times longer than waxes. Protection like that during washing and QDing is a plus to be sure only swirls could get in the sealant, not the clearcoat or paint. Saving time polishing perhaps. This picture of the WS6 sorta took me.

http://www.autopia.org/forums/showth...threadid=17747

I like that plastic look. It looks so reflective and mmm different. Besides I am also sold on the p21s. So maybe I could layer the sealant and the wonderful p21s. I wonder what that would look like. Anyway, anything I should make sure of when using a sealant? preping, and other things? What seems to be the sealant of choice? on the forum. I would prefer only those that have tried many sealants and compared them and decided they liked one better than the other. Any special layering techniques for the maximum finish? Always interested in that aspect. Layering and such. Anything anyone has to say is welcome. Just trying to step in the water at this point.

:up

Post Thanks / Like
    Zaino, Blackfire, Platinum and Klasse are the sealants of choice. None of them can be layered on top of a carnauba wax and that is about all they have in common.

The application techniques are different for each one. Its not hard to find out what those techniques are with a little search on each product. Its been discussed many times here.

It is much easier to help you if you pick a product and then ask how to apply it rather than asking which product out of a dozen to use. We really need more info. What color of car? What kind of car? etc etc etc

Most of us have gone with the trail and error part. Any sealant you choose will give you pleasing results. There isn`t just one particular one that is going to look good on your car. Figure out how much money you want to spend on products and then go shopping. You will spend anywhere from $40 to over $100 getting the sealants and products you need. It just depend on which one you want to use.

Post Thanks / Like
    I was just waiting for a response to find out what you need from me. HERE-Black car german/, Zaino, Blackfire, Platinum and Klasse I will choose among those based upon the responses. Someone who has used them all or two or three and have chosen one out of the others. Special layering techniques to first put on sealant and then put a wax topper on. I believe that is the term you guys use. "topper" Things like that. I hope this is being more specific? Any other questions I would love to answer to aid in this.

Post Thanks / Like
    You are going to get 3 schools of thought on that. 1/3 of the people will say Klasse with P21S/S100 or Souveran topper, 1/3 will say Zaino with no topper and another 1/3 will say Blackfire or Platinum with or without topper. I`ve tried all but one of those and would probably say they would all please you equally. I seriously doubt that you would be able to tell the difference if you polished a third of your car with each product. Its all personal preference. I`d go with Platinum UPP with an AIO base and five layers of SG between successive layers of UPP and a P21S topper. That`s just what I`d do on a black car.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve tried all but one of those and would probably say they would all please you equally. I seriously doubt that you would be able to tell the difference if you polished a third of your car with each product. Its all personal preference. I`d go with Platinum UPP with an AIO base and five layers of SG between successive layers of UPP and a P21S topper. That`s just what I`d do on a black car.

First off, thanks for the concern again great help. Second, Which product have you not tried? I am not concerned or curious about the 1/3 of people in each direction. I am only concerned in the responses given as individuals. If it`s all preference then I would like to here about just YOU. ok, ok, Is there some type of place where I can look up the abbreviations? Platinum prep cleaning? AIO ( no idea ) SG is klasse I believe, and of course p21s. Could you specify these? Yeah, that last sentence is what I was wondering.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Knight

ok, ok, Is there some type of place where I can look up the abbreviations?
    Here ya go, Autopian Acronyms. The acronyms link can be found under the Features column, located on the upper lefthand corner of the Autopia Home page.

Which product have you not tried?
    Based on what Jngrbrdman didn`t say, it looks like he hasn`t tried Zaino.

Post Thanks / Like

First off, thanks for the concern again great help. Second, Which product have you not tried? I am not concerned or curious about the 1/3 of people in each direction. I am only concerned in the responses given as individuals. If it`s all preference then I would like to here about just YOU. ok, ok, Is there some type of place where I can look up the abbreviations? Platinum prep cleaning? AIO ( no idea ) SG is klasse I believe, and of course p21s. Could you specify these? Yeah, that last sentence is what I was wondering.

If all you are looking for is personal opinions and preferences as to which products to use then it shouldn`t really matter which one I haven`t tried. But yes, its Zaino I haven`t used yet. That will be next year`s project.

Post Thanks / Like
    Doing a search of the big 3 will aid you in uncovering opinions of all sealants.

I have used Blackfire and Zaino. Both very pleasing products and easy products to use. I prefer the Blackfire because my detailed cars are non-metallic black, its carnuaba-like appearance (depth of color, richness, and wetness(basecoat not clearcoat)) and the ability to top with a carnuaba (P21S). Durability is not a concern with me because of the frequency in which I detail my cars. I still use Zaino products ( Z7 wash and Z6 (Quick detailer). Both great products

Whichever sealant you choose the most important factor is the pre-sealant application prep ( claying, polishing, cleansing). Products like Blackfire and Klasse have products which aid in this step ( AIO and Blackfire polish) but for the ultimate prep other steps ( cleansing and glazing) really help.

I am now experiementing with a new product (PowerShine) which is a topper for sealants. Initially it seems to give a Zaino-like gloss on top of my P21S topped Blackfire.:xyxthumbs

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by blkZ28Conv

I am now experiementing with a new product (PowerShine) which is a topper for sealants. Initially it seems to give a Zaino-like gloss on top of my P21S topped Blackfire.:xyxthumbs

LOL! That`s funny that you`ve tried all these different products and combos and ended up back at a Zaino-like appearance.

Staying on topic, if you want something that`s different than the carnauba shine, maybe you can rule out Platinum or Blackfire since they are intentionally more carnauba-like. I`ve found Klasse SG to have a rather interesting look to it, but it depends on the color. The nice thing about it is there is a pre-cleaner (AIO) so it makes the overall process a little easier. Since this seems to be a common dilema, maybe one of these vendors needs to introduce a polymer sampler...

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Aurora40

LOL! That`s funny that you`ve tried all these different products and combos and ended up back at a Zaino-like appearance.

Aurora 4.0.,

Yes and no. I always loved the Zaino glow but was not pleased with its lack ( in my case) of depth of the colorcoat (black). With the BF2 and P21S I have emphasized the basecoat color and the PowerShine adds a little Zaino-like "POP" on top.

I need to get a life.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by blkZ28Conv

I need to get a life.

Take a deeeeeeeeeep breath a say it with me....

"It`s only a hobby"

Repeat 50 times.

Now go wax your car. You`ll feel better.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Oggle

Take a deeeeeeeeeep breath a say it with me....

"It`s only a hobby"

Bah! Being Autopian isn`t a hobby... Its a way of life. :xyxthumbs

Post Thanks / Like
    I have found everything else but that acronym. ( upp )

Jngr. I think I got it. You clean the surface with the AIO from klasse. Then, you put on the upp,(whatever that is, guessing a sealant) then KSG(sealant). You interchange those two in that pattern 5 times.. This brings the total to 5 coats of upp and 5 coats of SG. The last layer being the SG to that point. Then lastly a p21s topper? Did I get this right? or am I way off? Sounds like fun to do though.

maybe you can rule out Platinum or Blackfire since they are intentionally more carnauba-like

I don`t want a carnuba like appearance. More like, that pic of the ws6 I gave a link at first thread. I have a BLACK* german car and the ws6 is a dark color. I am trying to give a good sealant, a chance against normal wax looks.

I hope that clarifies that part of what I am looking for.

Second clarification. Like Jngr did in his last paragraph, giving me what he did only on his cars or a black car. I just want to here what YOU and only you guys do on YOUR OWN cars. I liked his fun combination and a final p21s topper.

I hope that helps.

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

I have found everything else but that acronym. ( upp )

Knight:

UPP = Ultimate Paint Protection. It is a Platinum brand product that I have used for several months. Looks great on a red car and on a very dark blue van.

Charles:xyxthumbs

Post Thanks / Like
    As I said to you in the last PM, I like Meguiar`s #20 Polymer sealant for the reasons I mentioned. I like to top it with Meg #26 for extra depth and warmth. Beautiful glow and great protection!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information