Post Thanks / Like
    I found this is on a detailing website after a Yahoo search of "Autopia" (just wanted to see who else was using the name). According to this website most of us should just quit our detailing and start paying professionals. Here`s an excert from their FAQ:

"Q: I wash my vehicle at home using a garden hose?

A: Washing your vehicle at home is extremely harmful to the finish. The University of Texas proved that a single home hand-wash can leave scratches in your finish as deep as 1/10 of the paints total thickness. Also, the average garden hose cannot supply enough water and water pressure with the detergent action to avoid damaging a vehicle`s finish.

This important study concluded that automobile owners should avoid washing their vehicles at home. Only a professional car wash can provide the proper amounts of water and water pressure needed along with the appropriate soaps and waxes to safely and effectively clean your vehicle."

Interesting technique to scare people away from washing their own cars...just thought it was funny.

Here`s the site: http://www.walnutcreekcarwash.com

Post Thanks / Like
    lol I found that a few months ago. My in-laws live very near to that shop. I had planned on checking it out last weekend but didn`t have the time to get over there. I`ll do it in the spring for sure. The funny thing is that when I post that link in our moderator area one of the mods pointed out this very thing. lol It makes me laugh... I can`t wait to see it. I want my picture taken in front of a detail shop named Autopia.
    Keeping Texas clean one car at a time!

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah I think that was posted here a while back... I do not see the reasoning behind those answers.

Ahhh... different site, but heres the old thread.

http://www.autopia.org/forums/showth...rsity+of+texas
    ~Cody Julian

Post Thanks / Like
    "Take a Relaxing Break While your car is being treated, you can relax in our comfortable waiting area. Sip a latte, get a bite to eat, read a newspaper, make a phone call, or simply relax and relish the thought of driving home in your shiny, bright, fresh smelling clean car."

Wish I could sit in your waiting room and Sip a Latte
    2005 F-150 Reg Cab Flareside 5.4L

Chemical Engineers: More refined than the rest.

Post Thanks / Like
    You must back up a claim like that, seems very bogus.

Post Thanks / Like
    I hate misinformation campaigns..... so very, very much.... :down

Post Thanks / Like
    It`s an old "study" that was commissioned by the Int`l Car Wash Association. Doesn`t mean a thing to us but I`m sure its convinced lots of people that paying $10 for a half-assed car wash is a real benefit.

With all the dirty cars I see on the road I wish some of their owners would take the report to heart and clean their cars. I mean, if they`re not gonna do it themselves, at least take it to a car wash...
    There are only three things you need to know about me. Gloss, Gloss, GLOSS!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah--

Figures that study was commissioned by the Carwash Association of America, or whatever. It reminds me of the sticker on the coinboxes at the local do-it-yourself bays. They read: "Bucket and hand washing not only damages your car`s finish, it is illegal to do in this bay." It goes on to state that you cannot stay in the bay for drying or any other reason, if the meter is not running.

So after I use the "safe" scrub brush, attached to the hose that drags all over my paint, and rinse with the unforgiving high pressure spray wand, I`ll just pull right outside where the sun can dry the water spots right into my wax....But at least I`ll avoid those dangerous buckets.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by ZJ JIM 96

Yeah--

Figures that study was commissioned by the Carwash Association of America, or whatever. It reminds me of the sticker on the coinboxes at the local do-it-yourself bays. They read: "Bucket and hand washing not only damages your car`s finish, it is illegal to do in this bay." It goes on to state that you cannot stay in the bay for drying or any other reason, if the meter is not running.

Wow, the DIY bay I use here in Omaha is pretty cool about it . . . as long as no other cars are waiting for an open bay, and you use the pressure wand at some point (I rinse both before and after I hand-wash), I don`t think they`d care if you hand-washed, dried, and waxed. Heck, the attendant has stopped in the bay I was using to empty quarters (in the middle of a hand-wash), and just gave me a "Hi, I`ll be out of your way in a minute."

Tort

Thread Information