Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    I may have to wet sand my plastic headlights, so I have some questions.

1. If the scratches aren`t deep, but cannot be removed by just a polish, what grit sandpaper should you use?

2. How much pressure should be applied when you sand the headlights?

3. After you are done I hear the plastic is supposed to be hazy, can I use Novus scratch remover (which I already have) to remove the hazyness, or do I need a completely new product?

4. Can I actually make my headlights worse than before I started if im new at sanding?

5. Where do you find this kind of sandpaper (whats stores commonly have them?)

If you know any links to places that have a tutorial on it or whatever, feel free to post it

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry I`ve never done it, but just remember the old advice to just start off mild and increase strength if that doesn`t get you anywhere.

You can find 3M sandpaper in small sheets at the automotive body repair section of Canadian Tire. Grits go as fine as 2000 I think.

Oh I'll Bring the Shizzle Nagchampa's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Don`t forget to use soapy water when wetsanding!
    "Never walk into an environment and assume that you understand it better than the people who live there." - Kofi Annan after his first frigid Minnesota winter

Post Thanks / Like
    Take a piece of 2000 grit sandpaper and water rub the lenses thoroughly, then dry them. Once dry, take a buffer and some rubbing compound and polish a shine back into them, and if you want, you can put some wax on them for a finshing touch. I have done this to taillights, headlights, park lamps, corner lenses, and the lights have always looked like new by the time I finished.

You can get the sandpaper from a paint and body supply store.:xyxthumbs

Post Thanks / Like
    Whats a good rubbing compound and polish that I can buy in stores? Do I need a buffer, cause I don`t got one

Also, how do I sand them, in a long back and forth motion? How much water do I put on the headlights when sanding?

Sorry about all the questions, I just got one set of headlights, so it`s either do it right the first time or im out of a lot of money

Post Thanks / Like
    Mark, don`t worry so much. As long as you`re paying attention to your sanding job I don`t think you could really screw up. Just stop sanding when you see you`re down to the level of the scratch.

When wetsanding in general, just take a bucket of soapy water and leave the paper in the bucket. Take it out and start sanding, and when the water begins to dry or run off, just dunk it in the bucket again or get a sponge and squeeze some more on. Back and forth or circular, I don`t think it really matters if you`re polishing it later, just don`t press too hard. If I were doing this I`d just try to use the scratch remover I have already. It might take extra effort or multiple passes, but I wouldn`t have to buy more stuff either. :p Just don`t rush through anything.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, I have Novus #1, 2, and 3, which im going to try out first, and atleast get out most of the scratches, but I know that there will probably be some that will require wet sanding. Oh well, I should get them in the mail around xmas day, and i`ll definately post back here on how it faired with the Novus scratch remover.

Post Thanks / Like
    You have Novus 3? Well in that case, that should definitely be enough to take out any wetsanding scratches you make. What I meant originally was that I would use the Novus you have to remove the wetsanding scratches, rather than going out to buy another product. If the scratch is kinda deep I`d be inclined to wetsand it rather than sit there rubbing it like crazy with polish. Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like
    So I can just use novus 1, 2, and 3 to take out any of the scratches and hazyness that I get from the wet sanding?

Post Thanks / Like
    Whilst I am unfamiliar with the products named here (Novus), I have polished my headlights with great success. They were pitted, and the clearcoat applied at the factory had turned yellow. Whilst using wet and dry sandpaper of varying grades, and then following with polishes and wax, I returned the headlights and indicators to a near-new condition.

Take it easy, it isnt hard, but may take some time to do well!

Post Thanks / Like
    Very nice, what kind of wax did you follow up with? I don`t know if you guys mean like regular car wax or if there is a kind of plastic wax

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by mark2003

So I can just use novus 1, 2, and 3 to take out any of the scratches and hazyness that I get from the wet sanding?
    Yes, just read the bottles since they say what they`re for. 2 and 3 are abrasive polishes, just like the stuff people use for paint. 1 is mainly just a cleaner/protectant.

Post Thanks / Like
    I used fine grades of sandpaper, possibly 1500 and 2000 (this was done a year ago). Then I used two different polishes, one was a pretty harsh, something I had bought before I read up on detailing and the second much finer. Brands I can`t recall, I know they were cheap, and they were regular car polishes.

Wax I just used my meguiars, don`t know if its all that helpful, maybe it allows water to sheet off even easier and prevents gunk sticking on. I just wax the lights whenever I do the rest of the car.

I didn`t buy any new products for this, just used anything I had left over.

Post Thanks / Like
    Manuel, nice car. Did you use a buffer?

To everyone who knows about this process; I have one scratch on my headlight from dropping a screw driver by accident (I know I know). Anyways, would I wet-sand the whole light or just where that scratch is? Would following that with a polish/wax without a buffer bring back the shine or do I need that? Thanks...

Post Thanks / Like
    nice job on the lights manuel

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information