Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    I just read through a bunch of threads, none of which seemed to have the information that I was looking for exactly. If I missed "the one" please direct me to it!

Here it goes: I`ve got a Dark Silver MINI with a white top that`s about 6 months old and hasn`t really been waxed very much before. I`ve used some Zymol Polish Wax a couple of times, but not on a regular basis, although the car has been hand washed regularly. For Chrismas I finally got some much needed Zaino products. I got ZFX, Z1, Z2, Z6, Z7, and Z18. Now I`ve read the instructions on the bottles and looked around online a bit, but I`m *very* new to any sort of detailing and dont know what i`m doing. I understand that i need to do a wash with dawn first, but then I`m not sure exactly how things work. One thing i`m confused about it how to use the Z7 as a lubricant for Z18. I`m afraid I`ll use too much or too little, or not know when to re-lubricate. I`d love any advice you guys can give me. Thanks!

~Brad

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m sure you will definatly get some advice from this board. One thing I would suggest is that you check out the instructions on zainobros website. It may help clarify things. They may be the same instructions you got with your bottles, I don`t know.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Grinder..

Kinda hard to use too much lube...spray and rub back and forth with light / medium pressure... while rubbing if the bar suddenly stops on you, you`ll need more lube... Hard to explain but once you start doing it I`m sure you`ll get the hang of it quickly...

I know bunch more will chime in soon...just hang on..

Also - On the home page at the bottom there is a Free Download .... very very good and will prob help you...

Bottom left on home page you will also see a link for a good post called Zanio Manual which is also very good...

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by F 355

Hi Grinder..

Also - On the home page at the bottom there is a Free Download .... very very good and will prob help you...

Bottom left on home page you will also see a link for a good post called Zanio Manual which is also very good...

Ditto. Very good reference. Also if you have any user specific questions that maybe unique to your car you can e-mail Sal. He is very good about answering rather quickly.:xyxthumbs :wavey

Post Thanks / Like
    Few things:

1) You don`t need Z1 if you have ZFX.

2) LESS IS MORE; USE AS LITTLE ZAINO DURING APPLICATION AS POSSIBLE. 1oz of Z5 does my Tahoe 2.5 times.

3) Mix ZFX w/Z5 sparingly. Use 4 drops per ounce instead of 5.

4) Use a damp applicator; soak the applicator in water, wring it out, shake it, blot it as dry as possible - you want the applicator to be slightly damp for best application.

5) LESS IS MORE; USE AS LITTLE ZAINO DURING APPLICATION AS POSSIBLE.

6) Clean your clay often. To clean it, simply roll it in to a ball, flatten it out, pull it apart, fold it on itself, etc.; clean it at least once per panel. Too much lube is usually just enough.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Grinder

One thing i`m confused about it how to use the Z7 as a lubricant for Z18. I`m afraid I`ll use too much or too little, or not know when to re-lubricate. I`d love any advice you guys can give me. Thanks!

~Brad

Just pour a small amount (half a capful) or Z-7 into a spray bottle (16-18 ounce size) full of water and that becomes your lubricant when claying your car. Work in approximately 2` x 2` areas at a time. Give the area 2-3 squirts of the mixture and then start claying away. Use relatively light pressure to cover the entire area and wipe with the area dry with a clean, soft towel when you`re done. Since the mixture is very cheap to make, it`s probably better to use a generous amount to lube the surface. Repeat this procedure with the entire car... folding and reshaping the claybar as necessary.

Personally, I like to cut off small piece of the claybar, mold it into the shap of a silver dollar and discard it after using it for a few panels instead of reshaping and folding an entire claybar. You should experiment and see what works for you.

Some people like to clay as the last step to washing their car. Personally, I`m not a big fan of this because while it saves time, I prefer to work slowly and be conscientious about preventing any unecessary swirls.

Post Thanks / Like
    As a Z user here`s what I found works for me.

1. Dawn wash

2. Check finish for swirls

3. Clay (z-18 w/ z-6 or z-7) I use the z-6 wash mix in a spray bottle

4. If you found swirls in step 2 use 3m SMR for dark cars.

5. Dawn wash again

6. Mix ONE ounce of ZFX & z-2 and apply buff with MF.

7. QD (z-7) with MF

8. Repeat steps 6 & 7 twice more. Apply all three coats with just that one ounce if you need more you have applied to much product. (I can do it on my Miatas and the Mini is smaller)

9. Move it into the sun and check/enjoy your work.

Z-1 should be used after every 10 coats of z-2. It is not necessary to use the ZFX if you have some time to wait between coating of z-2.

Wash only with the z-6 mixture and QD with the z-7 for your best results.

Hope this helps

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, already a bunch of great advice! Another quick question. It`s 30° outside...it it ok to wash and Zaino, or should i wait for warmer days??

Post Thanks / Like
    ...I would wait for a warmer day. Zaino is very sensitive ( like many protection products) to extreme temperatures. When I used Zaino last winter I saw a definite difference when applying at 45*-50* opposed to appying when my garage was 60* - 65*. I can understand you excitement but using in less than ideal situation for any product can lead to disappointment and frustration. This is easy for me to say, but "be patient".:wavey

Post Thanks / Like
    I keep seeing "MF" all over the place, does this refer to "Micro Fiber"?? Where do i get the proper towels, applicators, etc... All i have now is a bunch of rags and the small, rectangular pad that came with my Zaino order.

Post Thanks / Like

I keep seeing "MF" all over the place, does this refer to "Micro Fiber"?? Where do i get the proper towels, applicators, etc... All i have now is a bunch of rags and the small, rectangular pad that came with my Zaino order.

Right-o. MF=Microfiber. :up There is an acronym list on the front page of Autopia if that will help you. I hesitate to tell you to do a search on "microfiber" because I know there will be a ton of threads on it. Check out the aBay link at the top of the board. Apparantly there are some good towels for sale up there. You could search for "microfiber for sale" or someting like that. There are a dozen excellent sources for towels linked out there. :xyxthumbs

Post Thanks / Like
    If you can`t get hold of some MF towels, you can use what Zaino recommends, a "100% cotton, made in the USA, bath towel from Fieldcrest or Cannon." Check out the www.zainobros.com website for all the details about the towels. In summary, he also recommends that you cut off the edges/selvages of the towels and use only the terry cloth portion of the towel as the edges may scratch the paint. And to wash the towels in Liquid Tide or All, not powdered detergent as some leftover undissolved granules may adhere to the towel and scratch your paint. Also, don`t use any bleach or fabric softener on the towels. And only get the white towels.

Post Thanks / Like
    Great to see another mini2 forum user taking care of their beloved MINI!

(I use a different name over there....)

PS and don`t forget what seems to be the number 1 rule at autopia...prep work prep work prep work !

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, already a bunch of great advice! Another quick question. It`s 30° outside...it it ok to wash and Zaino, or should i wait for warmer days??
    Hey, Grinder. Aren`t you happy you discovered this place?

The info I got from my Zaino distributor was that if you try to apply it at temps below 60, the waiting time before you can buff it out is dramatically increased.

BTW, since we`re talking about temperatures, you might want to go back in and edit your profile to add your location. Where you live can make a difference in some advice you might get. (Besides, it might enable you to find an Autopia buddy in your own area.)

Also, since I just discovered Zaino this summer, I have lots of tips to share, thanks to my mistakes. One is to pay attention to the tips on the Zaino website and do not buff it off too soon. I think they describe it along these lines: when you think it`s ready, run your finger across a little section; if it leaves an awesomely shiny area, you`re ready to towel it off; if not, then wait a while. Zaino never does "haze" the way that your father`s waxes did! (Unless you were lucky enough to have an Autopia-type father; mine swore by ArmorAll and TurtleWax. )

I don`t think anybody has yet mentioned in this thread another thing many of us have encountered: As you are applying it, if you do it right -- i.e., as thin as you`re supposed to -- you`re not going to realize you`re applying anything at all. At least that`s been my experience with the white car.

Also, check out this recent discussion about foam pads vs. the Zaino pads: http://www.autopia.org/forums/showth...eferrerid=3936

Go get `em!

Post Thanks / Like
    I live in Northern VA...

Thanks Lynn! I just did a search on Google for "meguiars foam pads" that were mentioned in the link you gave me and came across this site: http://www.premiumautocare.com/megsofbuffoa.html What are the different foam pads they have listed, and which would I want for application?? Can these be picked up at the local Track Auto, or do i have to order online? I`m anxious to run out and Zaino, but I`m woefully unprepared and its too freaking cold!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information