Post Thanks / Like
    New to the site, very nice, seems like ya`ll know your stuff here...

I just need some recommendations.

I acquired a set of wheels for my 99 Toyota Tacoma in a trade because I have two bent rims from offroading so thought hell, why not. The rims have some pretty bad stains on them looks like oxidation maybe or water spots but real bad water spots. I haven`t really gone after them with any type of rubbing compound or special treatment, just soap and a hose.

They are American Racing Outlaw IIs aluminum clear coat or so their website says. I`m not overly concerned about it, but it would be nice to spruce them up a little.

Here is a picture of them on my truck maybe somebody will recognize the finish and can help me out. I appreciate anybody`s help.

Okay sorry, another question, I have various pinstripes from trees and rocks from offroading and soon from removing the ugly pinstripe on the side of the truck, whats a good random orbital buffer that is fairly decently priced and a matching wax that can help me get rid of them?

Professional Detailer detailbarn's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome fellow TTORA member. I`ve seen you around thought I`d say hi. You`ll find a wealth of info here for you`re detailing needs. Use the search feature for what you`re looking for that will bring up the info you`re looking for.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi, welcome. Since the rims are clearcoated, if you have oxidation on them you can treat it just like oxidized paint, so I don`t think you really want a "wheel cleaner". The search function will probably turn up some good advice on this.

Also, I don`t think what you`re describing is called "pinstriping". Pinstripes are stick-on lines that run along the whole body as trim. Are what you have just scratches from branches and such? If so, just search for how to remove scratches. On the other hand, if you really mean removing pinstripe trim, I think you can just peel it off (again, search). Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like
    4DSC is correct. If the rim are clear coated then treat them like paint. Do not use a metal polish. From the looks of your truck I recommend Meguiars Dual action cleaner polish, which we call DACP. It will work well on the clear coated rims and on your paint. I also recommend using a clay bar before polishing so that you dont buff/rub any contaminates into the surface of the paint during the polishing process.

Porter Cable poisher is highly recommended on this site. By doing a search you can learn about the polisher and accessories.

Welcome and good luck

4DSC did an excellant job of reviewing the PC. Just click on "thread" in the above post.

Thread Information