Post Thanks / Like
    I took two of my three cars to the self serve pressure wash today (PA tends to think that salt is a substitute for proper plowing). Anyway, I try to minimize the damage by using the pressure wash to get rid of most of the grunge, and bring along a bucket of hot water with Griots wash in it (1/3 of a tall bucket and "mix" it with the high pressure. Make a lot of proper sudsy wash water quickly. After I wash it I rinse thoroughly, and today, decided to click onto the "wax" setting.

It was pretty much dark before I finished, and so I didn`t get a good look at the final result but it looks pretty good from what I can see.

My question (yes I have one).. is what do you guys think of using liquid wax over the winter. I prepped it with the Klasse twins (4 coats of SG) before the bottom dropped out of the temps here in PA. I have not tried this before, but it seems to have worked out fine. I figure anything over the Klasse will add some protection, and since I can`t really wax properly (garage without heat), I figure this is the next best thing..... comments??

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    I think the spray wax on self serve bays in fine for light protection if you wash your car and use it weekly. Obviously no substitute for real wax, but when it is cold, it is better than nothing. The main thing to make sure is that you rinse the car very well with the spot free rinse water so you don`t end up with hard water spots.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    The "wax" at a pressure wash station isn`t going to last much longer than any bottle of spray wax you can get at Auto Zone. Its pretty weak stuff. I`ve never even seen it really make a difference. I wouldn`t waste the extra quarter to get it. With all the salt on the roads and the general harsh conditions of winter, I`d say that it might last you a day or two but not much longer. Your Klasse should protect you through the winter. The wax may give your car a little sparkle for the day that you applied it, but don`t expect much longetivity beyond that.
    Keeping Texas clean one car at a time!

Post Thanks / Like
    I figured that it wasn`t going to be long-lived protection, but my thought was...anything is better than nothing. A couple of days of extra protection is better than nothing.

Anyone know what "clearcoat protector" might be? Not adventerous enough to try it, but was wondering what it might be. Anyone?

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    You don`t wax your car to protect it, really. You put a sealant like Klasse on to protect it. Wax is just for some appearance points. The stuff at those pressure bays isn`t going to do anything for protection.

The clearcoat protector is just a more honest way describing the "wax" that the other places use. Its not really a wax so they aren`t calling it that. Its the same thing though. I`ve seen that option on the dial before. Neither one is really protecting your car that much. It may look a bit better. If you`ve got some time left on the clock then go for it.
    Keeping Texas clean one car at a time!

Thread Information