Post Thanks / Like
    I have done many searches and come up with a few answers for plastic scratches removal, but i haven`t found much on swirl marks.

I have a 98 accord coupe which has swirl marks all over it including the red tail lights.

My question is, can i remove these using the pc and dacp while doing the rest of the car? ( they are quite visiable )

Post Thanks / Like
    Will the DACP remove them?

Probably not all of them, but it will definately help hide `em. I would go ahead and use the DACP, then use a product made for plastic like Plexus, or even KAIO.

If this dosent work, thank just take a good SMR to it by hand. I used 3M SMR for dark cars on the wood in my Volvo and it took 95% of the scratchs out.
    ~Cody Julian

Post Thanks / Like
    I don`t know if I`d use a paint polish on a plastic lense but if you can, try it in an inconspicuous place and see how it works.

Meguiar`s makes several plastic polishes and cleaners. Also check out the stuff made by Renovo. What you want is a specific product made just for plastic, plexiglass, lexan, etc. Even the Autoglym glass polish (very mild IMO) specifically states NOT to use it on plastics.

Some plastics are so easy to marr that even the lightest of polishing makes them worse. So it pays to be careful.
    There are only three things you need to know about me. Gloss, Gloss, GLOSS!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah I`d be hesitant to use anything "harsh" on a plastic taillight.

How about using a platic polish with a PC ? that may be safer.

I once cleaned the plastic covering my gauge cluster using something that was too "harsh" and it left if cloudy forever. I will never make that mistake again.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve used 3m FI 2 on plastic headlights and tail light lenses with excellent results. I would imagine DACP would work just as well. If the scratches are too deep for a polish to remove you`ll have to wetsand them. I did a set of headlights that had some fairly deep nicks that required starting with 600 grit paper then working to 2000 grit. They turned out better than new and only took about 30 minutes for the pair. Good luck.
    Anyone got a `96 Impala SS for sale?

Post Thanks / Like
    Adamah Is on the mark with this one. I`ve wetsanded and polisher out scratches from light lenses many times. When working with abrasives always work progressivly finer.
    Andre`

Post Thanks / Like
    after shaving my lenses i used SMR instead of plastic polish and it restored the shine. but later i still got plastic polish and it seemed to do a better job. if it`s on colored plastic i think smr is fine but for transparent plastic, it makes a difference.

Thread Information